BIOS update for Kaby Lake support. how?

iodine

n00b
i have an MSI H170I pro AC, and im planning/wanting to buy a kaby lake CPU as it should be compatible with a BIOS update.
but can the system boot with the Kaby Lake CPU before i update the BIOS, or do i have to use a skylake CPU in order to flash the newest BIOS?
Or what other options do i have?

Your motherboard may operate with the Kaby Lake CPU installed prior to a BIOS update, however stability issues may arise over sustained usage. Otherwise you will not receive a post screen and will need to install a supported CPU in order to update your BIOS.

Though I'm curious - If you are on Skylake, why would you upgrade to Kaby Lake? There's little reason to upgrade, and unless you have wads of cash burning in your pocket, it seems like a waste.

your safest bet is to update the bios on a chip thats already is working in the system. why would you risk it not working with the kaby by not updating first?! youd have to put your skylake back in anyways or do you not have a cpu right now?

I'm actually interested in how you'd do this also...

That said I absolutely agree - I'd save the money and grab a deal on Skylake. Why pay extra for nothing?

thanks for the replies.
Though I'm curious - If you are on Skylake, why would you upgrade to Kaby Lake?

my current pc is on a Z77smthing board with a 2500K. As Pendragon1 guessed, i am about to purchase a whole new system,( waiting for dan A4 case shipping soon), i bought the H170i board for cheap on black friday.

Why pay extra for nothing?

atm in DK the price difference from a 7600K to 6600K is only 35$ (ca. 12% more) , so i would like to get the most current hardware, i dont know how much better 7th gen core cpus are, but some sites advertise up to 20% performnce gain. so i think its worth it.

About the compatability i guess i have to contact MSI about the BIOS and kaby lake cpu. or go with DoomDoomDoom's "may" work

yes intel is claiming "4-20%" increase but in real world use theres barely any difference. and yup either try it and hope it works or contact msi to see what they say.

thanks for the replies.

my current pc is on a Z77smthing board with a 2500K. As Pendragon1 guessed, i am about to purchase a whole new system,( waiting for dan A4 case shipping soon), i bought the H170i board for cheap on black friday.

atm in DK the price difference from a 7600K to 6600K is only 35$ (ca. 12% more) , so i would like to get the most current hardware, i dont know how much better 7th gen core cpus are, but some sites advertise up to 20% performnce gain. so i think its worth it.

About the compatability i guess i have to contact MSI about the BIOS and kaby lake cpu. or go with DoomDoomDoom's "may" work

I think you'd better do some more research!! ;)
It's funny - I know it's not what you asked in the first place, but it's a typically male thing to "solve" your issue.
I'd still save the money and use it on something else, although I understand wanting the best.

Good luck with your Dan A4 - I'll be jealous when you have it built up.

Some boards have a feature to flash from a correctly formatted usb with nothing installed using the embedded controller, asus for example calls this flashback. No idea about msi having an equivalent.
Typically the drive just has to be fat32 and the file in the root directory with the right naming convention.

Some boards have a feature to flash from a correctly formatted usb with nothing installed using the embedded controller, asus for example calls this flashback. No idea about msi having an equivalent.
Typically the drive just has to be fat32 and the file in the root directory with the right naming convention.

I have gathered from MSI forum that they have that feature on some boards and its called Flashback+ for msi. Unfortunetly my H170i does not have it.
So im left with 3 options, get a Skylake CPU, get new mobo(i kinda regret not getting a Z) and Kabylake, or borrow a skylake cpu to update BIOS... stupid black-friday impulse-purchase...

I just tested this with a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3 running a pre-Kaby Lake F7 BIOS and a 7600k. The system powered on, the fans spun but the POST screen didn't show and it never got to a point where I could flash from USB in the BIOS.

Luckily I have a 6100 on hand and can update the BIOS.

Back