• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

"BIOS not installed"

-Ever-

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
218
I shorted my old motherboard while switching cases. Just got my new one in. Turned the system on, everything went fine. It said "no bios installed" but then XP initiated and went through fine. Got lots of "new hardware found" and let it do its thing. I restarted and still "no bios installed." The only discs that came with it are two RAID diskettes, a "super pack" cd with things like adobe, and a cd labeled "drivers and utilities." Not sure what to do here! Thanks for any help guys.
-T

Edit: after installing some drivers, I restarted. I pressed DEL for the hell of it during the would-be POST screen and sure enough it took me to BIOS. So it says no bios detected still and it's not POSTing. Should I worry?
 
The "BIOS Not Installed" message you are getting is from one of the RAID controllers on the motherboard. Not from the mobo BIOS itself.

When no drive is connected to one of these addtional controllers they will usually say something to the extent of "SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED" or "ULTRA ATA BIOS NOT INSTALLED".

If your system's BIOS was not working, it wouldn't boot at all :)
 
Heh that's what I figured, well that it wouldn't work if BIOS wasn't installed. Now why isn't it POSTing? Maybe I have to select it to display it in the BIOS...?
-T
 
If you do not have any drives hooked up to that controller, then I would go into BIOS and look for a setting that will disable the controller. I don't know exactly where it is or what it would be labelled but there should be a setting in there for it. That way you don't get that message on bootup, it doesn't look for drives and waste time during bootup and you may save on possible resource conflicts in Windows if the controller isn't installed.
 
Maybe ur monitor takes too long to warm up and show an image there for it is POSTing but u are just not seeing it on screen???
 
Back
Top