Biggest FAIL of Quakecon

Wait. So what did the dude win? i assume it was a car coz of the keys but i couldnt make it out?

What a tard. He probably got shitfaced that night and the other just spent the best $200 of his life.

AAahahahahahahahaha!!!! oh dear god i was actually cracking up out loud there.

2010-ford-shelby-1.jpg

Btw, that's the Shelby.

I would have commit seppuku live on stage to spare my family my shame after a fail like that.

That kid was so stupid, he said not to sell a ticket for at least $1100, so Captain Obvious should have realized that the prizes were good. LMAO Best ever, he will live with that mistake for the rest of his life.

If you read the qcon forums the kid that sold the ticket is trying to defend his actions too..its kinda funny.
That $200 is going to help me pay for college!
uh huh..sure it is. Being able to sell a $55k car would help pay for college a whole lot more.

Regardless, that guy definately made the investment of a lifetime.

He won a new Shelby, what kind? I have no idea, but probably a Shelby edition mustang.

Ventrillo gave away one red and one blue Shelby GT 500. They did this whole red vs blue thing called capture the car. Sadly, by the time they got around to giving out the car (things were running WAAAYYY late) nobody really cared about things after they drew the winners.

That was hilarious. I was scared for a second they weren't going to honor the guy's newly purchased ticket. The hysterical woman in the audience wasn't helping anyone either. ASK HIM WHERE HE GOT THE TICKET BLEEAARGGGH!!!!

honestly what were the odds of that being the winning ticket. u guys would all be praising him for getting 200 bucks.

yeah it was dumb luck. but he gambled with the odds and actually lost.

That is like a lifetime's worth of bad luck used up. That kid should go buy some lottery tickets with the $200.

wooooooow

can't blame the kid for selling the ticket -- how many times do you actually get lucky like this?

luck just wasn't in his favor..

honestly what were the odds of that being the winning ticket. u guys would all be praising him for getting 200 bucks.

+1 At the time he was most likely thinking: Should I take the guaranteed $200 or risk getting nothing. And seeing how many times I've won a raffle (ZERO) I would have probably done the same thing.

The kid has posted in the Quakecon forums, he understood his blunder but he was a good sport about it. I would have used that 200 bucks to wipe away my tears though after losing that Shelby.

Eh, the guy basically played "lets make a deal" for real, he got his $200 and traded his chance off, and the other guy got what was beyond curtain #2! A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!

Of course what most people don't realize is the tax liability for the car isn't going to be cheap.. yeah its' new, yeah you can sell it, but if you wanted to keep it it'd cost you on the order of $15k.

I wonder how much the tickets were to begin with. usually raffle's are done to produce a profit that's often given to a charity of some sort.

The tickets are free, basically the whole event is free.. But the raffle tickets for the car generally have to be earned..

Epic fail/Burn tho

I missed Quakecon this year, went to the last 6 of them, sadly, they get worse every year.. And ever since they started giving away one main prize (The Stang) instead of several hundred smaller prizes the whole event has started to REALLY suck.. Bawls wasnt there this year, and the majority of the booths are now sale booths (Info from my Brother that went).. Screw that whole event.. The early/mid 2000's were the best years.

Only 100 tickets were up for grabs on 2 Mustangs, the odds of winning are pretty damn good considering the prize involved. Selling one ticket for $200 is poor economics. He was not gambling the odds, he was being stupid.

Originally Posted by Filter

+1 At the time he was most likely thinking: Should I take the guaranteed $200 or risk getting nothing. And seeing how many times I've won a raffle (ZERO) I would have probably done the same thing.

this, if he didn't won the shelby I doubt anyone would be calling him a tard. its just bad luck, just the same chance imo if he did or didnt sell the ticket. lol

Eh, the guy basically played "lets make a deal" for real, he got his $200 and traded his chance off, and the other guy got what was beyond curtain #2! A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!

Of course what most people don't realize is the tax liability for the car isn't going to be cheap.. yeah its' new, yeah you can sell it, but if you wanted to keep it it'd cost you on the order of $15k.

Maths fail again?

Don't know where you live but in MA sales tax is 6.25% $55k for the car, your tax liability is $3.438 add in title and registration of about $200 you're still under $4000. A far cry from $15,000.

you don't just pay sales tax on that, you pay earned income tax on it which depending on your bracket could be upto 40%

I bet the guy who sold his ticket was thinking, "Wouldn't it suck if my ticket won?" right before his ticket won.

Yup, have to pay Federal tax on that, and in some states a use tax as well if no sales tax was paid. Either way, could take out a loan against the car for the tax hit and basically get a high end car for a fraction of the price. It's going to be expensive either way though.

wow! ... The dude should have shown a little more ethusiasum and appreication... also props to the "looser" for being a good sport about loosing his $52,000 ride.

August 3, 2010 (Rockville, MD) – Ventrilo, the premier group voice communication program used in tournaments and multiplayer games, will up the ante at this year’s QuakeCon® 2010, in Dallas, Texas, with the sponsorship of its 3rd annual QuakeCon “Ultimate Power Up” Sweepstakes. This year, two lucky attendees will “Capture the Car” at QuakeCon 2010 in their very own brand-new, super-charged 2011 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Coupe. QuakeCon, in its 15th year, is North America’s largest BYOC (Bring-Your-Own-Computer) LAN party. QuakeCon, which is free to the public, will be held at the Hilton Anatole Hotel from August 12- 15, 2010.

The 2011 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Coupes, valued at approximately $51,930 each, both come with a six speed transmission and a supercharged 5.4 liter 32-valve V-8 engine pumping out 550 horsepower and 510 lb-ft of torque. The Mustangs, one in Kona Blue and the other in Race Red, will be on display in the main exhibition area throughout the event.

"Once again, thanks to Brian Knapp and the great folks over at Ventrilo, attendees will have a shot at driving home from QuakeCon in one of these two monster machines," said Todd Hollenshead, president of id Software. "Not one, but two lucky fans this year will leave on Sunday in one of the coolest cars ever made after the best double grand prize award in the history of QuakeCon."
“Thanks to id Software we have been given another great opportunity to show our appreciation to the community that helped make Ventrilo what it is today, “said Brian Knapp, President of Ventrilo.” With the Capture the Car giveaway we have increased the odds of winning a Shelby GT500 from 1 in 100 to 1 in 50.”

The “Ultimate Power Up” winners will be randomly selected at 9:30pm CST on Saturday, August 14, as part of the tournament finals event on the QuakeCon Main Stage. A total of 100 tickets for both of the Shelby Mustang GT500 drawings will be awarded to attendees throughout each day of the event for everything from performance in the QuakeCon Pro, Open and Quick Draw Tournaments, to participation in other QuakeCon contests, events and random drawings.

QuakeCon Power Up Rules:
QuakeCon 2010 registered attendees who are 18 years of age and older AND are legal residents of the United States, its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia are eligible to participate. No purchase necessary. A total of 100 raffle tickets will be distributed throughout the QuakeCon event. Additional information about contest rules, eligibility, restrictions and requirements will be available at www.quakecon.org.

He was very cool about it though. Had i been in the sellers shoes i would be crying on stage like a girl.

Back