Bigbeta in a VM

Both the latest version of CPUz and Aida64 claim my 18x multiplier is engaged, so it appears I am seeing a 1x turbo boost.

I simply don't know enough about what I'm doing for any other possibility to be the case :p

This is on a Z8NA not SR-2, but in anycase its bios version 1101. I'll see what cpu-z is saying about the turbo status this evening.

Speaking of Cave Johnson:
clipboard02zp.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone using the 1.4.0 Linuxforge image?

I had to copy over the httpd.conf and smb.conf as well as setting the hostname before I could get the samba and web server to run

Currently pulling 75K with a 6904 on a 970X @ 4.2Ghz with all cores at 100%

That sounds great, how is it looking for beating the deadline?

With a bonus deadline of 10 days, I suspect it shouldn't be a problem. However everything we've heard seems to indicate that the bonus deadline will be getting shortened sometime soon for bigbeta. I'm curious what his TPF's are as well in case I decide to switch over my 980x to Linux later this year.

i7 970 @ 4150: WU 6903, TPF 51:12, 72,000 PPD
up from 40,000 PPD on win7 bigadv

i7 2600K @ 4600: WU 6900, TPF 23:24, 43,000 PPD
up from 39,000 PPD on win7 bigadv

so right around 36,000 PPD just from moving to LinuxForge VM

Anyone still doing this?

Thinking of doing this to get linux on my Windows boxes??

TJ still is on his 980x. You just need Virtual Box instead of VMWare (although with your 920s, either would work.) It is still worth it - a Linux VM is still faster than native Windows.

I'm still running Virtual Box on one dual hex machine. My dual quad machine couldn't quite cut it on 6904's, so it's just running smp now.

TJ still is on his 980x. You just need Virtual Box instead of VMWare (although with your 920s, either would work.) It is still worth it - a Linux VM is still faster than native Windows.

Right now I'm using Virtual Box plus the linuxforge folding image to fold bigadvs. I plan on using the same setup to fold smp whenever I can't fold bigadvs with my rig anymore.

I just setup my 3930K with virtual box and it's running well. Just pulled a 6901 and will report back on TPF later.

Okay, anyone know why Virtual Box is only running at 85% in taskmanager?

I know this is killing my performance.

cpu-z says the turbo's on, 2.267Ghz (133x17) l5639's on a z8na-d6c

On my. 950, it's running at 100%

I'm not sure, but that's been the norm for me. On the couple of machines I have it running on, it fluctuates between 90%-98% load. It's never fully 100% all the time, unlike folding natively.

Virtual box is folding at 99-100% at all times for me. Of course my box is a single cpu and not a dual proc.

Currently getting 14:50 TPF on a 6901.

Yes, bfs and kraken.

Top'ing shows TheKraken, and 2400 usage, but Windows task manager is in the upper 80's.

Somemore questions for the Master.

When I use cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows the cpu speed as 2.13Ghz where windows shows the turbo kicked in for 2.26Ghz.

Windows is correct correct? My turbo's kicking in?

Next question...
When I top I see thekraken is top of the list, but reading the screen, it says the ni processes are only running 86-90%. Should it not be higher?

There has to be a reason I'm not running well. My 950@ 4.0Ghz is beating by a huge amount my l5639's at 2.26Ghz on the same smp units.

Somemore questions for the Master.

When I use cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows the cpu speed as 2.13Ghz where windows shows the turbo kicked in for 2.26Ghz.

Windows is correct correct? My turbo's kicking in?

Next question...
When I top I see thekraken is top of the list, but reading the screen, it says the ni processes are only running 86-90%. Should it not be higher?

There has to be a reason I'm not running well. My 950@ 4.0Ghz is beating by a huge amount my l5639's at 2.26Ghz on the same smp units.
Make sure you disable C1E in your BIOS, this kept turbo from kiciking in for me when running a VM. Assuming this is done, I'd have to imagine its just a reporting issue.

I trust CPU z in windows to accurately report every day of the week.

I was being honest. As ling as your motherboard, CPU, and RAM (r type) are properly detected, CPU z is usually very accurate.

I have a couple VM questions here that have never been truely clear to me

1) will a LinuxVM under VirtualBox benefit from BFS?

The OP seems to indicate that you should install it, but I'm not sure if the machine really benefits.

2) will a LinuxVM under VirtualBox benefit from theKraken?

If these answers are yes, I have some upgrading to do.....

I have a couple VM questions here that have never been truely clear to me

1) will a LinuxVM under VirtualBox benefit from BFS?

2) will a LinuxVM under VirtualBox benefit from theKraken?

It depends on the rig. I have a i7-980x folding with a VirtualBox VM, so my response is:

1. Yes

2. No

Here are the recommended configurations from musky's guide:

Machine configuration recommendations:
1. Single processor I7 Intel - Basic Installation + BFS Installation (Kraken is not needed)
2. Dual processor Socket 1366 Intel - Basic Installation + BFS Installation + Kraken Installation
3. Dual or quad socket AMD G34 - Basic Installation + Kraken Installation (do not install BFS)

If I recall, I either couldn't get the kraken working in a vm, or else I saw no performance gains on my Sr2

I got it running also and it shaved off a little bit of time.

I compiled it on another machine though, since I couldn't do it within the Linuxforge image.

Theres now a pre-compiled kraken at the linuxforge site, though its the old version.

Back