Bigadv update

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x3
just found this post over at FF from Kasson. it details some of the more recent problems with -bigadv and the near future for -bigadv 16

Bigadv update

update on bigadv
by kasson » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 pm

We wanted to give a quick update on bigadv. No new policies or changes announced here. The purpose of this post is mostly to be a little more transparent about what we've been up to (and why people may have seen changes in bigadv availability).

Briefly, one of the servers ran into a code bug ("feature"), and the fix I hacked for it caused other problems, so one of the bigadv servers has been largely offline. That server was handling a lot of the bigadv-8 traffic, resulting in more limited availability of bigadv-8 work units.

I have personally been busy with other server transitions, particularly moving data and virtual "servers" from Stanford to new machines I have acquired at Virginia. I have a new bigadv server lined up, but we've also had some issues with the physical installation there (the RAID arrays shipped with sub-standard rails, which is annoying). We're hoping to resolve those early in January, and once that server is up and running, I'll start prototyping projects for bigadv-16. More broadly, we're increasing the geographical distribution of FAH servers, which should help a lot with redundancy at the times (fortunately infrequent) when we have large-scale outages at Stanford.

The bottom line is that we haven't been intentionally sunsetting the bigadv-8 projects, but we've had a confluence of bigadv-8 supply and server code issues at the same time that we've been busy with other server transitions. The policy plan remains to bring new bigadv-16 projects online and then sunset bigadv-8 no sooner than Jan 15.

what does this mean?

For the most part, -bigadv will be the relm of 2P/4P systems and possibly very very fast single rigs.

what does this mean?

it means it only took pande group 10 years to realize that they needed to setup a redundant server system so that when stanford has outages it doesn't mean WU's stop being accepted/sent out. i guess later is better then never..

It also means they didn't intend for bigadv 8 units to be totally unavailable during the time when we are all anticipating the new 16 thread minimum limitation.

it means it only took pande group 10 years to realize that they needed to setup a redundant server system so that when stanford has outages it doesn't mean WU's stop being accepted/sent out. i guess later is better then never..

PG has had servers in multiple locations for several years (not just recently). They don't have redundancies for all types of servers yet, but most of them. So fah didn't come to a complete stop a few weeks back. People were still getting work and getting points. However, FAH will never have dupes for leading edge beta programs like -bigadv.

Here's the current location list...

Stanford University, Stanford
California State University, Long Beach
University of Virginia, Charlottesville
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, HK
University of California, San Francisco
Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden

PG has had servers in multiple locations for several years (not just recently). They don't have redundancies for all types of servers yet, but most of them. So fah didn't come to a complete stop a few weeks back. People were still getting work and getting points. However, FAH will never have dupes for leading edge beta programs like -bigadv.

Here's the current location list...

Stanford University, Stanford
California State University, Long Beach
University of Virginia, Charlottesville
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, HK
University of California, San Francisco
Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
:eek: twice posted useful info... who are you and what did you do with 7im....

IP lookup...
bigadv is in sweden
A4 in hongkong...mainly bits at Notre Dame
A3 in virginia...
GPU is all at stanford... along with random bits of the other cores...

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
http://ip2geolocation.com/

Back