Big 4K for Code writing

Sagin

n00b
Hello together
I am looking since weeks for a new monitor the more i read about all of it the more I got confused what is the right for me. I got my most informations out of this page, so I decide to ask by myself what you think.

For what do i use it?
I don't play (if I play, I play ps4 on a TV so each monitor should have better specification than my old TV, in case I would like to connect the ps4 with the monitor, but again, thats abosult no point)
Mostly I will do code writing and reading on it, that means the monitor need good subpixel structure for a fine reading, should be flicker-free and so on. I think you know better than me what is neccessary to perform task I would do.

After all I was reading I would prefer an 40" monitor with 4k@60Hz via DP (I only have a Intel HD graphics 515 which supports 60Hz only at DP at 4k).
But it seems there is not really a Monitor which fits to my needs. The Philips has burn in Issues (which seems to dissaper after 100h work) but it should also have not so good subpixel, which is important because of my usage. The Wasabi seems to have very bad subpixel. The dell (43") seems to have the same Panel then the philips(43").
I also was thinking about a 34" WGHD, but I think they dont have enough vertical space to read documents and codes fine (and in Pivot mode the monitor does not make sense to me).

So is there a good 4k Monitor for my usage which at best 40". I found many monitors with 32" and all which go higher seems to be for me more a TV with monitor functions than a real Monitor (like you can't adjust the Brightness)

Thanks in advance

there is no such thing as a bad subpixel.
but there are OS that do not offer tools for subpixel aligment configurations- OSX , or users that are not aware that Windows has a tool to adjust cleartype settings to the displays subpixel aligments.
so in the end a BGR display has text just as clear as a RGB display.
talking as the owner of a seiki 39" 4k with BGR.
Consider triple portrait U2515H/P2416D: 50% more pixels than 4k and comes with a pivoting stand.

Which Philips are you referring to? the BDM4350? Or the newer BMD4037UW?
According to a user in another forum to which I've asked to run a retention test, the latter shouldn't suffer of the issue, and should have even a Pixel Orbiting option in the OSD to be on the safe side.
For now never stumbled into retention reports in any review or user reports, so I'm seriously considering myself ;)

thanks for your replies.

geok1ng I was thinking about an 3 monitor setup. I am using an tablet most for my work, there are limited connections (I have 2 hdmi and 1 mini DP so it would work, but only with the productive modul plugged in in my thinkpad x1.)

Tirpitz666 I was refering to the BDM4350, the BDM4037 has an VA Panel, that sounds a little bit strange to me, because on such a big monitor I think if you look to the edges of the screen the VA panal could have an impact because the viewing angle

Yeah, of course the risk is there, but consider the following:

- it is slightly curved, so at least a bit of the shifting effect should be reduced
- you can check PC Monitors review, they have a nice clip on the display's viewing angles, so you can judge yourself in case
- I think that such a huge monitor demands at least 80-90 cm viewing distance to be remotely ergonomic, anything less would mean asking for trouble for me. From such a distance the color/contrast shift should be quite reduced given the reduced side viewing angles

The only real obvious downside of this monitor is that it is totally unsuitable for gaming, as it has severe ghosting/trailing issues (but is doesn't seem a priority for you, according to your post). Another think to take note if you code in a bright environment is that it is glossy, so if you are used to code on a dark screen it can of course soon become a problem.

VA panels do not suffer burn-in. pixel orbiting is a feature present in the OSd of philips 4k that has intrigued the author of the TFTcentral review

"The pixel orbiting function is a measure designed to reduce the chances of image burn in. The screen actually gives you warning messages as well about burn in. Pixel orbiting is usually used on plasma backlit screens, but it's been included here on this LED backlit model. Maybe it's a panel which is prone to issues with image retention, maybe Philips are just being cautious."

at this size and usage scenario its a doomed if you do, doomed if you dont: non-glossy solutions will render the small text unreadable and glossy solutions will require careful room light control. i suggest using a bias light kit.

I'd suggest a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter and a Samsung UN40KU6290. 40" 4K, around $300 if you have access to a Costco, 4:4:4 chroma and basic HDR support. If you want something cheaper and are willing to deal with 4:2:2 chroma and no HDR, the Seiki SE42UM (possibly being discontinued?) can be hard for around $230 from HHGregg in many places.

Again thanks for your replies.

Tirpitz666 Yeah you are absolute right, all my backrounds are black instead of white. But it seems that each display above 32" has a glossy or semiglossy display. The tests I was seeing led me lead to that they are very similary % of refraction. I will set up my office completly new, so I will install much indirect light for normal use and just direct light if needed on the desk.

geok1ng That's interesting that they didn't have burn-in issues. I need to take a look at some VA panels, for me they dont look so good. Of course I don't need deep colors for coding and texting, so maybe the High contrast from a VA fits much better for my needs?

Thank you for your reply silent-circuit . Is the TV really good to work 8 hours constantly on it? I think it will lead me to headache, or am I so wrong thinking bad about TVs used as monitor?
I am not looking for the ceapest solution, I was planning to spend about 1000 Swiss franks (about 1000 bucks). So I really want a very sharp text monitor solution even if it means that i need to go down to 32".

If you're talking about 40" 4k @ 60hz why would a TV give you a headache when a monitor would not? The only real benefit of a monitor in your situation is the ability to use DP without an adapter. A decent 40" 4k tv will work fine, but for coding I really think you'd be better off with two 1440p monitors. I really like my un40k7000 for gaming and a little coding, but if I were primarily coding I'd switch back to my dual PA271Ws, there's just something about having two monitors that I find easier to work on.

Wow so many replies, many thank to you all.
capt_cope I thought it because I stand in front of 4k TVs and 4k monitors and field much for confutable in front of the monitor. Now during writing this sentence I notice myself that I have no information about the input, so my tests aren't very helpful in this... On point that monitors often offers is flicker free / eye saver mode. But of course I need to open my mind because my test was not really a test. I will look at some reviews about TVs as monitor.

With 1440p I really think I need to go in pivot mode with at least one monitor. Why do you think it will be the better choice than an huge 4k?

Wow so many replies, many thank to you all.
capt_cope I thought it because I stand in front of 4k TVs and 4k monitors and field much for confutable in front of the monitor. Now during writing this sentence I notice myself that I have no information about the input, so my tests aren't very helpful in this... On point that monitors often offers is flicker free / eye saver mode. But of course I need to open my mind because my test was not really a test. I will look at some reviews about TVs as monitor.

With 1440p I really think I need to go in pivot mode with at least one monitor. Why do you think it will be the better choice than an huge 4k?
No empirical data, just my observations having used both. I think it comes down to using multiple windows, when I'm coding I usually have my sublime text full screen in one monitor and chrome / tfs / etc running on the other monitor. Even though the dot pitch is the same between a 40" 4k and 28" 1440p, I feel like I have more usable space with dual monitors.

Now I was looking at TVs but it seems you have better TVs for a cheaper price. In Europe the TV is called ue40ku6400 has e. g. a VA panel instead of an SVA and cost 550, that's just 100 less than both Philips. In additional I need the HDMI 2.0 adapter for the TV which cost another 20 so I think a TV doesn't make sense for me in Switzerland (Europe).

capt_cope I really like to work with the splitscreen options on Windows 10 and the multiple desktops. I think it's better to have one because you can adjust the screens to fit best for the actual needs, that's what I thought.

Last edited:
Back