• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

BFG vs XFX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy the f*ck eVGA due to their eGay (and releated) retailers policy. Bottom line is that they CAN'T track nor verify purchases through 3rd party retailers (middle men). Not to mention, they require you to provide a receipt upon step-up/RMA, if it's not from an 'approved' retailer/e-tailer, how are they to verify? Check every single source of sales everywhere across the globe? There's no way they have that kind of manpower in the RMA/CS departments. And you'd better hope they have as best a handle in case of a system wide call back (such a wide recall to eVGA happened w/ Newegg last year), like when there's issues like the 7900s had (and no eVGA wasn't the only one just seemingly the worst due to volume of sales maybe?).

If these eGay, and other non-'approved' sellers are reputable, and want to provide their customers with the best support possible, why can they not go to eVGA and say something like... "We sell our cards @ XXX, buy our cards from XXX (approved distributor)" and so forth. Sure they may not be willing to include them in coverage, and obviously the goal is for them to buy directly from eVGA, but it's worth a try. Why they wouldn't buy from them in the first place I don't know; unless buying from a distributor in low quantities is less expensive (ie: larger discounts from large customers like newegg) than eVGA direct. And on the flip side there, isn't it then a reasonable arguement, if the difference is that high, and the retailer is pushing a couple bucks more profit over proper channels of purchase, that there may be a bad result (losing support) then?

Anyway, more on subject... You pretty much on a level playing field from brand to brand performance wise. As has been said they all come from the same factory, save maybe Gainward (I think), but that only matters for people in Europe really (since they don't sell in the States).

It all comes down to ancillary issues then: warranty & support, price, bundle, cooler choice (same across all G80s is it not?), and other random crap. Personally, I think BFG is overpriced too, at least when viewed in the retail sector (ie: worst buy). And last I checked their warranty policy (in writing not practice [is where it counts..]) doesn't cover multiple owners. Nor do they cover you (explicity) in warranty terms (right? unless they've changed their policies) for overclocking and cooler swaps..In fact if you call for an RMA, you're likely to have them tell you you're SOL, unless you get a cool RMA rep.

I prefer eVGA for their step-up (only useful late in a product cycle and if you intend to use it of course), and their policy of cooler swaps/over clocking being covered..Good forum support from multiple levels of eVGA employees too (not perfect, who is), and they've always been prompt in replies to e-mails (once within 10-15mins @ AFTER 5pm PST).

XFX is a fine choice too - cards priced right, only get a bit expensive in the top level o/c model(s)..Double warranty valuable esp if you intend on selling your 'old' card.. And they seem to like to use BLACK PCB's a lot - something I wish eVGA would do more of. I think they dropped the ball however in ditching their online/customer support forums (in the heat of the 7900 problems) - I don't want to be REQUIRED to call (even if 1-800) just to get an RMA going.

Oh, and lastly - have to agree hating a brand because they're sold @ a big box retailer is plain dumb...What about eVGA and Circuit Sh*tty? Granted, they only seem to carry low end cards (at least in LA area stores), but they're there.
 
You are aware that i dont work for evga correct? im just a moderator.

Also, i have changed my signature and fixed the one error on my post... sorry i didnt know that BFG now has 24/7 phone support. Last time i saw a BFG card it was only email.
 
I don't buy the f*ck eVGA due to their eGay (and releated) retailers policy. Bottom line is that they CAN'T track nor verify purchases through 3rd party retailers (middle men). Not to mention, they require you to provide a receipt upon step-up/RMA, if it's not from an 'approved' retailer/e-tailer, how are they to verify? Check every single source of sales everywhere across the globe? There's no way they have that kind of manpower in the RMA/CS departments. And you'd better hope they have as best a handle in case of a system wide call back (such a wide recall to eVGA happened w/ Newegg last year), like when there's issues like the 7900s had (and no eVGA wasn't the only one just seemingly the worst due to volume of sales maybe?).

If these eGay, and other non-'approved' sellers are reputable, and want to provide their customers with the best support possible, why can they not go to eVGA and say something like... "We sell our cards @ XXX, buy our cards from XXX (approved distributor)" and so forth. Sure they may not be willing to include them in coverage, and obviously the goal is for them to buy directly from eVGA, but it's worth a try. Why they wouldn't buy from them in the first place I don't know; unless buying from a distributor in low quantities is less expensive (ie: larger discounts from large customers like newegg) than eVGA direct. And on the flip side there, isn't it then a reasonable arguement, if the difference is that high, and the retailer is pushing a couple bucks more profit over proper channels of purchase, that there may be a bad result (losing support) then?

Anyway, more on subject... You pretty much on a level playing field from brand to brand performance wise. As has been said they all come from the same factory, save maybe Gainward (I think), but that only matters for people in Europe really (since they don't sell in the States).

It all comes down to ancillary issues then: warranty & support, price, bundle, cooler choice (same across all G80s is it not?), and other random crap. Personally, I think BFG is overpriced too, at least when viewed in the retail sector (ie: worst buy). And last I checked their warranty policy (in writing not practice [is where it counts..]) doesn't cover multiple owners. Nor do they cover you (explicity) in warranty terms (right? unless they've changed their policies) for overclocking and cooler swaps..In fact if you call for an RMA, you're likely to have them tell you you're SOL, unless you get a cool RMA rep.

I prefer eVGA for their step-up (only useful late in a product cycle and if you intend to use it of course), and their policy of cooler swaps/over clocking being covered..Good forum support from multiple levels of eVGA employees too (not perfect, who is), and they've always been prompt in replies to e-mails (once within 10-15mins @ AFTER 5pm PST).

XFX is a fine choice too - cards priced right, only get a bit expensive in the top level o/c model(s)..Double warranty valuable esp if you intend on selling your 'old' card.. And they seem to like to use BLACK PCB's a lot - something I wish eVGA would do more of. I think they dropped the ball however in ditching their online/customer support forums (in the heat of the 7900 problems) - I don't want to be REQUIRED to call (even if 1-800) just to get an RMA going.

Oh, and lastly - have to agree hating a brand because they're sold @ a big box retailer is plain dumb...What about eVGA and Circuit Sh*tty? Granted, they only seem to carry low end cards (at least in LA area stores), but they're there.


I think that evga puts their cards in stores like Circuit City to get exposure as well as to sell alot of cards. Most people arent savvy or care enough to goto newegg and such. I personally prefer that they sell their cards at circuit city rather than best buy (EWW).
 
Most people that have problems with evga are usually the impatient ones. Honestly ive seen people with blantant infringements upon the warranty and evga still works out a compromise with them in order to keep they happy. If people didnt get so angry so fast they would realize how good evga support really is. Patience is key in the computer world..

Oh and evga offers ADVANCED RMA... which means you get get cards overnighted to you cross shipped.

Oh, and did you mention that you have to PAY extra for this expedited service????? At the time you register the card. Thank you.:eek:

Look Ive had eVGA cards and BFG cards. I like 'em both equally well. Right now in my back-up box I have an evga 7600GT KO.....works really well. I had an evga 7600GT crap out on me right out of the box...the DVI interface was broken......called support,faxed a form,and they cross-shipped me a new card(not overnight). The evga step -up is nice BUT read the fine print on the web site before you get too excited.
I have had BFG cards since my Ti4600...... had one malfunction.......one of my 7800GTX cards just quit after about 18 months. Called support,RMA approved there and then, new card in about a week. No hassle, the guy was polite and knew his stuff.
Currently I have one 7800GTX,two 7900GTX, and two 8800 GTX cards all BFG and all excellent. I run these cards [H]ard, whether they be evga or BFG and with the noted exceptions Ive not had any problems with any of my cards.
To the OP, just always read the web site fine print about warranty,cross-shiping,and upgrades. If you dont understand something call support and ask questions.:D
 
I would say XFX, I have owned a few now and they seem to be solid cards. I was going to get the BFG 8800GTX instead of the XFX(no real reason other than price), till I was looking for a nice 7xxx series card for a buddy and found a lot of complaints on newegg about the thermal paste not being good and the heatsinks falling off of a couple of BFG cards. Not sure if it's a widespread thing or just those cards, but I would look at the user reviews of ANY card you choose to buy. Review sites are nice, but multiple reviews of the exact same product from people who have used it all located in 1 place helps a bit more.

Btw, I see what forum moderators do on their sites sometimes...calling it fan-boyism would be kind.
 
Oh and evga offers ADVANCED RMA... which means you get get cards overnighted to you cross shipped.

Actually I have had problems with customer service from ALL the companies. (most recently EVGA) I asked to buy the chrome exhaust plate for my 8800 and was told they arent sold to anyone. Wow thanks Evga for helping me out.:mad:

Advanced RMA? yea if you PAY for it.
 
Actually I have had problems with customer service from ALL the companies. (most recently EVGA) I asked to buy the chrome exhaust plate for my 8800 and was told they arent sold to anyone. Wow thanks Evga for helping me out.:mad:

Advanced RMA? yea if you PAY for it.

Well, do the other companies even offer it??

Also, i dont think any company sells those grills... i dont really think its worth getting angry that they wont sell you a part of the videocard.
 
Oh, and did you mention that you have to PAY extra for this expedited service????? At the time you register the card. Thank you.:eek:

Look Ive had eVGA cards and BFG cards. I like 'em both equally well. Right now in my back-up box I have an evga 7600GT KO.....works really well. I had an evga 7600GT crap out on me right out of the box...the DVI interface was broken......called support,faxed a form,and they cross-shipped me a new card(not overnight). The evga step -up is nice BUT read the fine print on the web site before you get too excited.
I have had BFG cards since my Ti4600...... had one malfunction.......one of my 7800GTX cards just quit after about 18 months. Called support,RMA approved there and then, new card in about a week. No hassle, the guy was polite and knew his stuff.
Currently I have one 7800GTX,two 7900GTX, and two 8800 GTX cards all BFG and all excellent. I run these cards [H]ard, whether they be evga or BFG and with the noted exceptions Ive not had any problems with any of my cards.
To the OP, just always read the web site fine print about warranty,cross-shiping,and upgrades. If you dont understand something call support and ask questions.:D

I personally dont need advanced RMA since ground for me is like overnight cuz im like 50 miles away from EVGA. But i mean maybe some people JUST CANT WAIT?
 
The OP's original question has been addressed. Please take the EVGA sales show back to EVGA.com. Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top