BFG 8800GTX 799$, PNY for 809$

DaBoonies said:
Now these new cards will...i repeat either will be insainly marked up even after MSRP launch date. Or they will drop like flies cause people are not seeing the performace/price justification(Wait till the reviews). Time will tell.
Wow! How bold! The price will either be high. . . or. . . low! Don't go too far out on that limb there, bud!

For the record, if it truly is a substantial hard launch, then the cards will be at MSRP (widely reported at $650-ish for GTX). The cost to manufacture has little to do with the price. The major factor is how much we're willing to pay. And NVIDIA apparently feels that $650 is the sweet spot where they are charging just enough to maximize profit without scaring off potential buyers.

On a less specific note. . .

I swear, if I see one more: "This card is pointless until Vista". . . I am indeed going to have to soil myself with rage. Not to mention all the: "But you can pay less six months from now and have a better card!" Or the, "my card is fine now. I don't need this. Ergo, the new card sucks."

1. Pointless until Vista.
All indications are that the 8800 will kick ass in DX9 as well. So, this card is no more pointless than was the last several video card releases. Was the 7800GTX pointless? The 7900GTX?

2. I'm waiting for the refresh in six months! I'll pay less and have a better card!
Good for you. But that's six months of non-G80 performance. If you're happy with your current video card, congratulations. . . but that doesn't mean the G80 sucks or needs to be bashed. As a matter of fact, hearing "I'll wait" serves very little purpose in these threads. Those who are currently in the market for a video card upgrade are probably pretty happy that the G80 ("crappy" as it is) is going to be released imminently rather than six months from now when it might be smaller or use less power or otherwise be "better."

3. My Super-L33t rig can already play all my games! So the G80 is pointless!
Again, this is just a case of someone who isn't in the market right now feeling compelled to tell us that he's not in the market, over and over again. Joy. But, I'm also baffled by this idea that the G80's potential performance is somehow "wasted" on current games. I've got 7800GTX in SLI and I can't think of a single game I play that couldn't benefit from higher resolutions and more eye candy.

screw that, im not paying 800 bone's for a card so i guess ima get me a PS3 insteed :D
now this is subjectt o change if i can get a GTX for under 650 or so ;)

hoop32 said:
now this is subjectt o change if i can get a GTX for under 650 or so ;)
Don't buy it on launch day and that shouldn't be a problem. It's even possible that a substantial hard launch will allow for MSRP ($650-ish) prices on launch day.

Hurin said:
Wow! How bold! The price will either be high. . . or. . . low! Don't go too far out on that limb there, bud!

For the record, if it truly is a substantial hard launch, then the cards will be at MSRP (widely reported at $650-ish for GTX). The cost to manufacture has little to do with the price. The major factor is how much we're willing to pay. And NVIDIA apparently feels that $650 is the sweet spot where they are charging just enough to maximize profit without scaring off potential buyers.

On a less specific note. . .

I swear, if I see one more: "This card is pointless until Vista". . . I am indeed going to have to soil myself with rage. Not to mention all the: "But you can pay less six months from now and have a better card!" Or the, "my card is fine now. I don't need this. Ergo, the new card sucks."

1. Pointless until Vista.
All indications are that the 8800 will kick ass in DX9 as well. So, this card is no more pointless than was the last several video card releases. Was the 7800GTX pointless? The 7900GTX?

2. I'm waiting for the refresh in six months! I'll pay less and have a better card!
Good for you. But that's six months of non-G80 performance. If you're happy with your current video card, congratulations. . . but that doesn't mean the G80 sucks or needs to be bashed. As a matter of fact, hearing "I'll wait" serves very little purpose in these threads. Those who are currently in the market for a video card upgrade are probably pretty happy that the G80 ("crappy" as it is) is going to be released imminently rather than six months from now when it might be smaller or use less power or otherwise be "better."

3. My Super-L33t rig can already play all my games! So the G80 is pointless!
Again, this is just a case of someone who isn't in the market right now feeling compelled to tell us that he's not in the market, over and over again. Joy. But, I'm also baffled by this idea that the G80's potential performance is somehow "wasted" on current games. I've got 7800GTX in SLI and I can't think of a single game I play that couldn't benefit from higher resolutions and more eye candy.
Nice post, well said.

I've always waited a year or so after the top $300 cards came down to $200 then bought those. I think this may be one time where I spend the cash for the best and see how long I can milk its performance. I would think this GPU would be good for my needs for a very long time. I'm still on a 4xAGP card.

TheRapture said:
They will suck on my left nut before I pay $800 for a video card......

They'll have to suck both of mine to get me to pay that much! I about that for my 7800GTX KO SLI setup even when it was the hot shit.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Sweet. Just what I need for Pangya Golf

Hahahahahahaha. Albatross 18.

Man. that game runs really well on the Radeon 9250 I just destroyed (and repaired!).

That's almost sig worthy...

boomheadshot45 said:
What is this world coming too? If the 8800 GT is over anything over 425 $ then i'm going with ATI.

I suppose you know all of ATIs pricing details then? :rolleyes:

Yea, like other people have said, just like when the new Asus AM2 Mobo's first came out, they had the price $25-$30 higher, and then a week or two later? They dropped em significantly. Even Newegg did this.

Dont worry.. They will be much cheaper after the first few people get gouged on the price.

Astrogiblet said:
Yea, like other people have said, just like when the new Asus AM2 Mobo's first came out, they had the price $25-$30 higher, and then a week or two later? They dropped em significantly. Even Newegg did this.

Dont worry.. They will be much cheaper after the first few people get gouged on the price.

Not so sure. Given the size of the die on each card, dice/wafer must be low. OcUK is claiming to have about half of the total UK allocation, which is (drumroll....TheInq again) claimed to be only about 200.

With no direct competition from ATI, I'm thinking these cards may stay pricey for a while.

Whats the deal with the inquirer? How come they always have news before everyone else, they have all these trade secrets, etc?

And it seems (or at least to me) like they just came outta the blue. Like.. one day I was stuck on Digg trying to find info on the latest topics, and all the sudden the next day the inquirer is everywhere and has all these amazing new articles filled with information for hardware geeks like myself..

Astrogiblet said:
Whats the deal with the inquirer? How come they always have news before everyone else, they have all these trade secrets, etc?

And it seems (or at least to me) like they just came outta the blue. Like.. one day I was stuck on Digg trying to find info on the latest topics, and all the sudden the next day the inquirer is everywhere and has all these amazing new articles filled with information for hardware geeks like myself..

Because 99% of the time all they post is rumors and garbage. They dont have anymore news than we do with the rumors circling around here.

On point, I doubt it will be that much at launch even if it is within a week it will drop quite a bit im sure.

On a side note its interesting how the inquirer has such a poor reputation around here yet it never fails that when they release some crappy rumor threads start popping up left and right. Guys the inquirer is barely any better than its paper magazine namesake. Next well be hearing how paris hilton is really a bat....Come on people the inquirer sucks.

I always thought the inquirer was a tabloid? As in 100% BS. Am I right? And is the online version the same thing as the paper magazine?

Astrogiblet said:
I always thought the inquirer was a tabloid? As in 100% BS. Am I right? And is the online version the same thing as the paper magazine?
The Enquirer is a tabloid. The Inquirer is a tech news and speculation site. They are two different entities, though neither is particularly credible.

Yep, so it's 50% tabloid and 50% creditable rumors (facts).

It's 50-50 pretty much. No other sites keep us updated with as much of the above as the Inquirer, so it's worth reading if you want to keep up with the very latest!

O-M-G what are we going to do!! $800!??!?!!

panic-button.jpg

/wrists

:rolleyes:

Zero82z said:
The Enquirer is a tabloid. The Inquirer is a tech news and speculation site. They are two different entities, though neither is particularly credible.

Ah ok. I always wondered about that! Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Im waiting to buy my next computer(nope, not building my own :=/ ) until I can get a DX10 card, so hopefully either the price on this will go down, or they will come out with slightly lower range ones so I can go ahead and buy my comp, then again, I only play at 1280x1024, or rarely 1600x1400, so I dont think I really need a 8800GTX or R600, do I?

Once cards starting hitting $300 I thought that was too expensive (thats pretty much the beginning isn't it? lol)...

Well i think we should start before looking at that sits price for the 8XXX series we should maybe compare prices with like Newegg or some other seller. I did this just wondering cause some sites i know do boost up the price to gain more profit.... well anyways this is what i came up with:

BFG GEFORCE 7950GX2 1GB OC 500MHZ DDR3 PCI-E 512-BIT 2-DVI HDTV RETAIL
ATACOM Part #:VIDR_BFGX_79_P5
Price: $665.00

http://www.atacom.com/program/atacom.cgi?USER_ID=www&cart_id=665893_71_254_66_65&Pagecode=1|VIDR&ADV=VIDEO_CARD&SUB_VAR=VIDR_BFGX

eVGA 01G-P2-N592-AX GeForce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card - Retail - Price $499

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130023

Well i know that there 2 different company's i didn't see a BFG one on Newegg. However to me paying $165 more just for the BFG name is a little stupid. So don't take this price serious cause it looks like it isn't. The store just upped the price or just listed a price for what they wanted to sell it for.

695 USD is the converted price from $900 that it will cost here in Australia. asus are charging as hi as 928 USD here in Aussie land.

newls1 said:
come on, were smarter then this...

No, they're not. :cool:

And I don't know how many times I've wanted to punch Inquirer reporters in the throat from stupid off-base, BS articles. I believe them as much as I believe a 15 year old blogger's article.

Back