BFG 8800GTX 799$, PNY for 809$

Trust me, prices will drop once this card is available. They are just trying to catch the early adopters who don't care about the price but want to get the card first thing in the morning on launchday.

These are just prices prior to the actual release. This is going to be a hard launch, as NVIDIA got us used to, so the actual supply of distributors started a while ago. The ones that already have the card, show it to the public with insane prices.

solobaricsrock said:
And here i was thinking $600 for my 7950 was insane.......I'll wait to see what ATI's answer is.

Don't worry! The rumored $650 will be the max that a 8800 GTX will cost :)

Guys this is getting so out of control :eek: . I remember back when my VooDoo2's came out I paid 299 for them. 800+ dollars for a card that in 6 months is going to be outdated, come on, were smarter then this...

Silus said:
Don't worry! The rumored $650 will be the max that a 8800 GTX will cost :)

I'm with you - it is just that I don't see the prices to come down as quickly as we'd all want them to. Why should they? Production is going to be quite expensive with these transitor counts, no competition anywhere on the radar for the next quarter, "king-of-the-hill" reviews to popping up all around the web and all over magazines, christmas season ahead... I wouldn't lower prices ;)

newls1 said:
800+ dollars for a card that in 6 months is going to be outdated, come on, were smarter then this...

Smarter? Don't know ;) . All I know is that I cannot shell out the dough for this. I'll be aboard the DX10 craze in 6 months with ATIs offering out and prices fallen (hopefully).

annaconda said:
WTF, i won;t buy until i see them below $400 or at least $300 for GTS. :mad:

Amen to that! Man, I just built an entire computer for my dad - which was cheaper than that card :eek:

I won't buy it untill it's $100 or less on the FS forum..

lol

like the previously priced x850xt's ($700) are now <$100 on the forum..

cheers,

mal

Dang...that's pricy. I was prepared to drop $500'ish, but that's getting a little wacky.
At that price point, it's tough for me to say the PS3's too expensive ;)

Ya these prices are getting out of control and as long as people are willing to pay these prices, the trend is only going to go up. Early adopters and rich people fire away, Iam going to wait for reasonable prices :(

I think its "by a factor of 10". If this makes any sense.
If consumers will drop $60 on a tight ass game, then the console they run the game on should be atleast 10x more costly then the game.

newls1 said:
Guys this is getting so out of control :eek: . I remember back when my VooDoo2's came out I paid 299 for them. 800+ dollars for a card that in 6 months is going to be outdated, come on, were smarter then this...

Well if it makes you feel any better $299 in 1998 = ~ $360 in 2006, when taking inflation into count.

:eek: :eek: Its like the 7800gtx 512 all over again. :D

Prices should fall by the 8th, I hope

Im pretty sure prices will drop as soon as more sellers get the card. $500 is already way to much for a card. I can't imaging in 3-4 years Cards will be 1000+. I remember the good ol days of $300+ for the top dog card. :(

Old_Way said:
I'm more than willing to wait a couple of months to save $200+.

Yah, I was gungho to get an 8800gtx, but was hoping to see the price be around $550. If $800 is the price to be expected, they can keep the card. That is far too insane for me.

Time to take the heatsink/fan off my 7900GTO and install my water block, then overclock it till it catches on fire. Looks like I'll be keeping the 7900gto instead of turning it in for "step up".

Again...
These are prices PRIOR to the release of the card.
When the card is actually released - hard launch on the 7th-8th November - the prices will be something like $450-$500 for the GTS model and $550-$650 for the GTX model.

Why would a single person, in the entire world, pay that ?

It's just fucking stupid.

When the 8900GTX launches for 2/3rds that price with 20% better performance and half the power requirements anyone that spent 800$ will just be crying.

Silus said:
Again...
These are prices PRIOR to the release of the card.
When the card is actually released - hard launch on the 7th-8th November - the prices will be something like $450-$500 for the GTS model and $550-$650 for the GTX model.

And again...
what makes you think so? "Production is going to be quite expensive with these transitor counts, no competition anywhere on the radar for the next quarter, "king-of-the-hill" reviews popping up all around the web and all over magazines, christmas season ahead etc. etc." That beeing said I personally think it is entirely possible that prices stay in that vicinity for too long a time for my taste - I could be wrong, of course. It will all depend on if people will actually pay that much. If so, prices will stay unchanged I guess...

BTW, I am asking this seriously, as I really have not followed a lot of price-changes after launches. Do you have any comparison?

wizzackr said:
And again...
what makes you think so? "Production is going to be quite expensive with these transitor counts, no competition anywhere on the radar for the next quarter, "king-of-the-hill" reviews popping up all around the web and all over magazines, christmas season ahead etc. etc." That beeing said I personally think it is entirely possible that prices stay in that vicinity for too long a time for my taste - I could be wrong, of course. It will all depend on if people will actually pay that much. If so, prices will stay unchanged I guess...

BTW, I am asking this seriously, as I really have not followed a lot of price-changes after launches. Do you have any comparison?

This happened before. The 7800 GTX 512 is a good example of that. It was available before its official launch date (because NVIDIA wanted yet another hard launch, though this was a limited edition card) and the e-tailers charged more that the suggested retail price of $649, because of that.
When the card was officially launched, the price was set to the MSRP.
G80 will be no different. Suggested MSRP will not go over $650.

Ever watch that new movie "Click"?

If you guys are that impatient, just use that magical remote control to fast-forward everything until the time that the 8800 is actually for sale!

Sounds like a smoking hot deal!!

I thought the new 8800GTX were going to be $13243254354365467654786786786784!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bo_Fox said:
Ever watch that new movie "Click"?

If you guys are that impatient, just use that magical remote control to fast-forward everything until the time that the 8800 is actually for sale!

If only :p

pffft until Vista matures why the hell buy this card?

my single 7900Gt(X) has 512mb of mem and runs FEAR at 1920x1200 butter smooth.

Thanks for making the upgraditits easy to resist Nvidia.

spaceman said:
pffft until Vista matures why the hell buy this card?

my single 7900Gt(X) has 512mb of mem and runs FEAR at 1920x1200 butter smooth.

Thanks for making the upgraditits easy to resist Nvidia.

not everyone has that awesome of a card in their systems... i have 2 7800gt's on waterblocks but a single 7950gt gets better performance for half the power drain than that... if i spend any money i want the best single card around that fits in my case (8800gtx doesnt i think...)

Silus said:
This happened before. The 7800 GTX 512 is a good example of that. It was available before its official launch date (because NVIDIA wanted yet another hard launch, though this was a limited edition card) and the e-tailers charged more that the suggested retail price of $649, because of that.
When the card was officially launched, the price was set to the MSRP.
G80 will be no different. Suggested MSRP will not go over $650.

Let's see....

1: New technology
2: ATI will be at least 3 months behind.
3: Anticpiation of Vista/DX10

Now these new cards will...i repeat either will be insainly marked up even after MSRP launch date. Or they will drop like flies cause people are not seeing the performace/price justification(Wait till the reviews). Time will tell.

Demon_of_The_Fall said:
Why would a single person, in the entire world, pay that ?
Because on the internet, e-penis is everything.

Demon_of_The_Fall said:
It's just fucking stupid.
Or [H]ardcore?

Demon_of_The_Fall said:
When the 8900GTX launches for 2/3rds that price with 20% better performance and half the power requirements anyone that spent 800$ will just be crying.
Cry with joy as they post thier 8800's to get the 8900's

I believe that I'll be waiting till the cards are available at msrp then get one along with a 2407 rev3.

$800+? They can keep their overpriced cards. $1000 for two cards was bad, but $1600?!?!?!?!?!? Do they think that we will all starve ourselves to get these things? I wouldn't be suprised to see a single-GPU, gaming-oriented card for $1000+ at this rate. That's usually where the workstation cards are...

BOO!

Personally, I will not pay more than 650 for a video card. Now to some , 650 is insane, others, 400 and so on. I will not be spending 800 but some will and I say God bless them if it makes them happy. It is all relative and at some point in time we will all get a card at the price we want.

:D

too rich for my blood. Ill wait and see what the market does. Of course my card is fast enough for me right now. I am looking forward to the new cards but I don't see the point in dropping that much cash on a new card.

jacuzz1 said:
Personally, I will not pay more than 650 for a video card. Now to some , 650 is insane, others, 400 and so on. I will not be spending 800 but some will and I say God bless them if it makes them happy. It is all relative and at some point in time we will all get a card at the price we want.

:D

Dont LIE! I KNOW day of launch no matter what the cost ull have one :eek:

Jasonx82 said:
Dont LIE! I KNOW day of launch no matter what the cost ull have one :eek:

Hey , lets not cloud the issue with the facts ;)

It's surprising (and hilarious) how few here understand what's going on.

Do keep up with the silly, nonsensical comments. They are most amusing.

"OMG!K!K $800 GIJGIGJ NVIDIA SUX LOL"

phide said:
It's surprising (and hilarious) how few here understand what's going on.

Do keep up with the silly, nonsensical comments. They are most amusing.

"OMG!K!K $800 GIJGIGJ NVIDIA SUX LOL"

Exactly what I was thinking: Moore's Law People!!!!!

Basically Moore's Law states that at a given price point transistor count will double every 18 months. However in GPU's cores have been getting not only more complex, but much bigger (and on smaller processes too). Thus we aren't dealing with products at the same price points anymore, each generation pushes into higher price segments. Moore's Law still holds true however, but at relative price-points only, not the top-end.

Back