Bfg 6800 Oc - $249.99

I just bought this from them two weeks ago

they better price match themselves :mad:

Is this a good deal? Im lazy and haven't shopped around.
And would it be worth it to upgrade from a 9700 pro?

SoulFlow said:
Is this a good deal? Im lazy and haven't shopped around.
And would it be worth it to upgrade from a 9700 pro?
yes, this is a good deal. most places are selling closer to $300. this would be a noticabley faster card in all the newest games (i.e. far cry, HL2, and especially doom3)

if this will be going on for the next week or so, I'll order one and pickup here locally.

I may return my evga to microcenter and get this one since my evga one cant be softmodded why not try BFG!!!!
-Rikus

/me makes a note on [H] to remind himself to go price match on fry's where he got his 2 weeks ago for $30 more

I got mine today. The web price is 249.00 the in store price is 255.00. I don't know why the hell it's like that, but hey at least it's 45 bucks I can keep. ;)

would this be a good upgrade from a 9800pro ? What the specs on this card and how much weaker is it then a 6800 GT ?

Wouldn't be a good upgrade from a 9800 Pro. 9800 Pro pushes about 21.5 GB/s of memory bandwidth and the 6800 even OCed only pushes about 23GB/s. It's all in here: http://rojakpot.com/ under the Desktop Graphics Comparison Guide..

Wouldn't be a good upgrade from a 9800 Pro. 9800 Pro pushes about 21.5 GB/s of memory bandwidth and the 6800 even OCed only pushes about 23GB/s

Are you sure about that? I thought with more pipelines it would be faster. I think it's better to look at Fill Rate. I have a bfg 5900 and it's bandwidth is 27.20 GB/s and the 6800 is 22.40 GB/s, so if what you said is true then how can the 6800 kick the 5900 butt in just about every benchmark? Just wondering.

Last night I bought one from futurepowerpc for $270. I was so angry a couple mintues ago, until I realized at Best Buy I would have to pay tax on top of the $249, so that brings the price to around $275. Lets just say I'm less angry now.

good deal. i was upset that the 6800 GTs werent $50 less so I couldnt take my receipt in and get some cash back. Then I remembered I only paid $350 for it in the first place! :D

bestbuy> outpost if you're in my position.. cause i get those bestbuy rewardzone certificates ... so not only do i get to use my nearly expiring coupons, but it also gives me more coupons for buyin stuff ^_^'' and outpost charges me tax cause we have a fry's in GA... not that i'm going to get this card .. but for some ppl this is a better deal that outpost

Indeed. I love rewards zone. I got about $100 in coupons this fall. Gratned I spent probably over $1000, its still a cool thing.

Heh, this is what I've been waiting for. :D Got a $50 BB GiftCard last Christmas so ~$217 out of pocket for a 6800nu. Not to bad...hope it soft mods. If not, it's still a big jump from my 8500. :D

This isn't a GT so it's a 12-pipe card. Not really worth the upgrade from a 9800 Pro given the price, IMHO. Now a 16-pipe GT, that's another thing... :)

ok but does anyone know about the sound levels on this card since it has 2 fans... i hope its not some loud ass leaf blower!

well my GT is pretty loud, ill tell ya that much. its the loudest in my case. I plan to get a artic cooler for it.

when you softmod a card you unlock more pipelines. And I Have the Nu in my rig i's pretty quiet

umbra said:
when you softmod a card you unlock more pipelines. And I Have the Nu in my rig i's pretty quiet
Not when they aren't physically present, you don't. There are basically 3 "types" of 6800 cards out: 12-pipe cards (the plain vanilla 6800 reference board), 16-pipe cards that have had 4 pipes "locked" to sell at the lower price point, and the true unlocked 16-pipe cards (the GT and Ultra).

If you're fortunate enough to have a 16-pipe card that is being locked down to 12-pipes, then yeah, you might softmod the card to unlock those pipes. But as far as I know those cards are much more rare than the 12-pipe cards which is what most people get when they buy a non-GT/Ultra card.

ATI cards have the same issues: depending on the model and vendor of cards, you can softmod some 9800 Pro's into 9800 XT's, or a few SE's into Pro's, because the hardware is identical. But you could never softmod a SE card with a 128-bit memory bus to a 9800 Pro with its 256-bit bus because the hardware just isn't there -- there's nothing to "unlock."

Yes, and even before unlocking the pixel/vertex units my 6800 showed a nice performance increase over my 9800pro in games (FarCry, FS2004, etc.).

diehard said:
Um, Malatov, Just about all of the 6800nu's can be softmodded to 16 pipes.
Well, I'm not that familiar with the Nu line -- if they are truly 16-pipe cards, then great -- maybe they're more prevalent than I was lead to believe.

But I stand by my statement that a low-end 12-pipe GPU is not going to be modded to 16-pipes when the extra pipes aren't there.

I am pretty sure all 6800nu's have 16 pipes, just 4 of them are turned off. Its the same chip just crippled. The 6700 is the new one that is comming out only has 12, and supposidly it is replacing the 6800nu.
That being said, some of the 4 that are locked could be broken, so unlocking them might not be possible.

I jumped on this deal yesterday. The GF3 needed to be retired.
I also found out that the price in store was 255. I tried to have customer service change the price, but they stated that bestbuy.com had different prices due to needing to compete with online retailers. They told me I could go home and do the in-store pickup from the website, which was stupid. It would of cost me the difference in gas to drive back and forth, and I decided 5 bucks wasn't enough to make a huge scene about. Damn taxes hit me for like 23 bucks. Oh well, I guess that is what I get for a state with no income tax.

Mine unlocked with Rivatuner to 16 pipelines and 6 shaders. However, Riva will not overclock it at that point. According to the maker of Rivatuner, that means there is some damage to my extra pipelines.

Certainly a huge step up from my GF3. Not sure if I made a mistake not waiting for a good deal on a GT however. But if I was going to impulse buy, this was the time.

I might pick one of these up on friday. Far Cry is probably more than 30 dollars so, when you think about it, you're getting the card for just a bit above 200 after the rebate. This is one of the best deals ever.

just brought mine home... works fine, did the buy on the web/in store pickup thing. price came to 249+13dollars tax. the invocie had a coupon on it (the one they handed me in the store) for 10% off if you bought 2 others accessories with your in store pick up. didn't ntice it til I was out the door...

Darkstar850 said:
I jumped on this deal yesterday. The GF3 needed to be retired.
I also found out that the price in store was 255. I tried to have customer service change the price, but they stated that bestbuy.com had different prices due to needing to compete with online retailers. They told me I could go home and do the in-store pickup from the website, which was stupid. It would of cost me the difference in gas to drive back and forth, and I decided 5 bucks wasn't enough to make a huge scene about. Damn taxes hit me for like 23 bucks. Oh well, I guess that is what I get for a state with no income tax.

Mine unlocked with Rivatuner to 16 pipelines and 6 shaders. However, Riva will not overclock it at that point. According to the maker of Rivatuner, that means there is some damage to my extra pipelines.

Certainly a huge step up from my GF3. Not sure if I made a mistake not waiting for a good deal on a GT however. But if I was going to impulse buy, this was the time.

Did you noticed any artifacts after unlocking the rest of the pipelines?

For the short story, I picked on up for 255.99 at BB. installed and played. Works great, I am very happy. good upgrade from a Matrox G450. :D

OH, man, I ended up getting this from BB, but had a time at it. First I went to the local BB to confirm the price, instant rebate, and that it was in stock. Then I drove tot he Fry's that was just down the street to get them to price match it. I like Fry's return policy's better than BB. The guy at Fry's proceeded to take the ad and card, then ignore me for about 5 minutes before he called a BB. I told him the one down the street had it, but he said they wouldn't answer the phone. The BB store he talked to (he wouldn't give me the location) said that it was 305 with a 50 rebate and that they were out of them. The Fry's employee wouldn't call back to confirm that the rebate was in-store and denied the PM. so I went tot he customer service manager. He proceded to talk to the same Fry's employee I had talked to and gave em the same speel. I asked him to call again since the other one wouldn't. He said he was too busy and would have to call and have BB return his call with the requested info. Like that would actually happen. So I got the 2 peoples names and went to BB. I used my camers phone to take a picture of the actual price label in the store with a close up of the words "instant rebate" and purchased the card at BB. So today I am going to take the receipt and the pictures to Fry's and speak witht he store manager. I don't really expect anything but an am pologee, but it will make me feel better.

Bought one of these a couple of days ago and unlocked all the pipelines ahd shaders with Rivatuner... as soon as I rebooted I had extreme artafacts in both 2D windows and 3Dmark. I locked the pipelines and shaders back down and the artafacts went away, but I'm taking the card back because I was really hoping to get a good unlocker.

Eskimo Pie said:
Bought one of these a couple of days ago and unlocked all the pipelines ahd shaders with Rivatuner... as soon as I rebooted I had extreme artafacts in both 2D windows and 3Dmark. I locked the pipelines and shaders back down and the artafacts went away, but I'm taking the card back because I was really hoping to get a good unlocker.

Unlocking it voids yout warranty correct? Should also make it impossible to return.

odd the best buy where i live its 249.99 same as online, my friend just got one and it unlocks :)

diehard said:
Um, Malatov, Just about all of the 6800nu's can be softmodded to 16 pipes.

Actually I think it is about 50-60% success rate. My BFG 6800 nu gave artifacting with all pipes enabled. Check guru3d.com for the latest.

Back