BFG 285GTX forth RMA

BigTy

Gawd
Well as of today I will have to RMA My GTX 285 for the forth time. From the time I purchased my first card until today I have replaced my motherboard my CPU ram CD rom PSU and HDs. The people I have spoke with at BFG have been super nice but the fact that I am averaging an RMA every 4-6 weeks is a bit old. I am stuck at this point of RMAing cards until BFG can work something out with me. Ever videocard BFG sent me I have tested in a second PC and the same issue continues over that PC also

VC 1 DOA
VC 2 Artifacting
VC 3 Artifacting BSOD
VC 4 Died

Here are my specs of the PC I have.
Asus P6T Deluxe 2
Intel I7 920
OCZ 1600 ram
Sony DVD burner
OCZ GX700

dam doods 4 cards?? that is very odd, and BFG is still working with you, good for them... the very reson the 2x 275 OC cards i just got is BFG brand.

another way of looking at this is that his card has died 4 times. it's of course hard to tell whether the wiring in his house is faulty or his system is somehow to blame, it certainly doesen't seem to be the case. if the home wiring was at fault his previous systems would have had similar issues, and he has replaced his system components.

op: my only advice to you is to get yourself a really well-cooled (and quiet) case. something like the HAF932. or, add a 120MM to sit in the HD cage blowing directly onto the card (perpendicular to its long edge) and one in the side panel if that's possible.

how are they dying? probably just artifacting right? try upping the fan speed with a custom made rivatuner profile. i had some problems with an older gtx 260 216, that were mostly solved that way.

rivatuner is currently incompatible with nvidia 185 series drivers and up, so if you need help setting up the fan profile, pm me. i have settings that work well (most of the auto fan speed settings get reset by the drivers, but some don't, and tweaking those alone I have a card that keeps quiet until it hits about 72c).

what kind of temp readings are you getting on the cards? possible that side fan is sucking too much air away from the gpu fan and basically suffocating it?

is your cpu oc'ed? possible the pci-e lane is not locked at 100mhz and you are ocing the heck outta that slot?

just taking stabs in the dark to try and help the cause.

almost forgot.... hats off to bfg. i've been through two rma processes with them and their customer service is really unmatched. they are often underrated/overlooked.

is your cpu oc'ed? possible the pci-e lane is not locked at 100mhz and you are ocing the heck outta that slot?

I suspect this has been contributed to many GPU problems. Very easy to forget to lock the pci-e lane.

Anyway kudos to BFG for handling four RMA's in a row without complaining. (Well unless they really are sending bad cards back...?)

PCI slot is locked at 100, I haven't looked at the temps and its a bit late for this card :D. But on the next card I will look.

What PSUs do you have and have you tested the 12v rail? Sounds like your PSUs might be killing GPUs. I know you swapped PSUs but its worth a try to test them.

The odds of getting 4 bad cards is crazy. The only way I can see that it would be possible is if BFG is sending the same card back all 4 times. No way to get 4 bad cards in a row and everyone else receives good cards.

Time to get a new power supply bigty. In my experience, BSOD/Driver errors under 3D games are related to the video card not getting enough juice, most of the time.

Have you tried using the side fan as a intake instead of exhaust?
The side fan on my Antec 1200 is blowing cool air on the 285s.

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W

@RH
At the current time I am not aware if a way to test the PSU if you have any recommendations I am more than willing ot try them.

Last edited:
Since the first 6800ultra's on PCI-E I have always ran my PCI-E to 125+mhz for ever!!!!! I have never had a problem with any of my cards caused by to high of a PCI-E bus, now on the other side I have seen on-board audio/nic and SATA controllers do some odd behavior but NEVER VID CARDS! Every single build that I have under me has been pushed in the 115-125+mhz range, this is common if your running into high end cards that can saturate even PCI-E 2.0. You could lock the PCI-E at 100 like stated but it sounds more like a heat issue or just bad luck. Ive used BFG 285's and they have all been great so keep on them and get some heavy ventilation going in your case. These 285's will artifact even if your core temp says its only 60-70celcius since its the mosfets and voltage regulators that get really smoking hot. For what its worth I run my PCI-E at 131mhz 24/7 on my PERSONAL gamer and have had zero issues with 8 different nvidia cards within the last year. All the other PC's that are not monitored by me stay around 115-117, 115 is good before it starts to currupt HD's and whack nic's out.

I had sort of a similiar issue with a few gtx 280's. BFG(and Jeff from BFG) was great in helping me and I'm sure they will be able to get this worked out. You may want to give Jeff a PM.

Jeff.Kozlowski is his username.

Hope he can help.

Yeah Jeff is a really great guy, I have been working with him since the second RMA. I feel real bad that I have to contact him on this issue yet again.

Since the first 6800ultra's on PCI-E I have always ran my PCI-E to 125+mhz for ever!!!!! I have never had a problem with any of my cards caused by to high of a PCI-E bus, now on the other side I have seen on-board audio/nic and SATA controllers do some odd behavior but NEVER VID CARDS! Every single build that I have under me has been pushed in the 115-125+mhz range, this is common if your running into high end cards that can saturate even PCI-E 2.0. You could lock the PCI-E at 100 like stated but it sounds more like a heat issue or just bad luck. Ive used BFG 285's and they have all been great so keep on them and get some heavy ventilation going in your case. These 285's will artifact even if your core temp says its only 60-70celcius since its the mosfets and voltage regulators that get really smoking hot. For what its worth I run my PCI-E at 131mhz 24/7 on my PERSONAL gamer and have had zero issues with 8 different nvidia cards within the last year. All the other PC's that are not monitored by me stay around 115-117, 115 is good before it starts to currupt HD's and whack nic's out.

Wait...cant you corrupt sata drives by "overclocking" the pcie slots?

Ok, just ordered a new C/A 750HX. This should be more than enough to power my system.

115 is good before it starts to currupt HD's and whack nic's out.

For what its worth I run my PCI-E at 131mhz 24/7 on my PERSONAL gamer
LoL. What's the point of trying to corrupt your HDD? :confused:

and have had zero issues with 8 different nvidia cards within the last year

Some people don't change their GPU's 8 times during the year. Some people keep the same GPU in there for a whole year.

Anyway, I would still advise against massively overclocking the PCI-E. Yes the chance of data corruption and GPU problems is low, but why take the chance for no reason?

Take my word for it I have no plans on OCing the PCI-E I will ensure that its clocked at 100.

Some SATA controller's cant take the PCI-E bus being cranked up that is the reason most heavy overclockers still uses IDE HD's since they dont seem to be affected. Also you can run an external Raid controller to keep your HD's out of the path of high PCI-E since they are always backwards PCI 33-66mhz. On these Nvidia nforce chipset's like im running now have been pretty solid at pushing the PCI-E past 115-120. Seems like I find more intel P35 and up chipsets having SATA problems at high levels of PCI-E. Also if your overclocking alot its always worth keeping acronis or ghost at your finger tips :) If you have a good backup and or ready to reinstall windows give PCI-E overclocking a try and you will see the gains Im talking about, not every system likes being pushed above 115+ :)

Last edited:
Yeah Jeff is a really great guy, I have been working with him since the second RMA. I feel real bad that I have to contact him on this issue yet again.

Oh man, that's a bummer. Didn't I test one of those cards for you before? Don't feel bad about getting in touch with me, that's what I'm here for. I'll most likely be out tomorrow due to some unforeseen dental issues, but please send me the latest RMA number that you have so I can check into this for you and we can work out a solution.

Thanks.

Hey Jeff,

Sorry to see that Rock soup didn't work out for you like you planned next time use a vegetable or meat of choice.

On-topic

You should have a PM of my latest RMA number now.

I know Jeff will return tomorrow, but I did followup on my RMA and again got a really nice front line rep who took my call. After looking at the notes and understand that the Sup I spoke with on the 11th stated my card would be here tomorrow said its not shipped and I need to speak with the RMA department. I got some supervisor of RMA who was VERY rude. This is the same woman I spoke to in my last RMA, and didn't I get any information or movement on they issue with my current card NOPE!! She hung up the phone. The last time I had to deal with this lady I requested a call back from her manager that was 4-6 weeks ago still no word from that person. So yet again I have a request to speak with her manager about her actions and tone. In the end I had to call back yet again got a great guy who attempted to gather information on my RMA someone IMed him stating they are out of stock on my card and they stop communicating with him in middle of that chat. We both waited on the phone for about 6 minutes for a resolution or direction, but nothing. I can safely say I have never been rude to anyone at BFG but at this point I really want nothing to do with them once I have a working card it wasn't Jeff or any other rep that made me feel this way it was the lady in the RMA department and the lack of followup from management that is pushing me away.

My comments here are not for anyone to say don't buy BFG or their products sucks. My views here are based on the issues I have at hand. I guess my cell phone provider will be happy to see that I have used 63 minutes of my anytime air time.

Last edited:
I know Jeff will return tomorrow, but I did followup on my RMA and again got a really nice front line rep who took my call. After looking at the notes and understand that the Sup I spoke with on the 11th stated my card would be here tomorrow said its not shipped and I need to speak with the RMA department. I got some supervisor of RMA who was VERY rude. This is the same woman I spoke to in my last RMA, and did I get any information or movement on they issue with my current card NOPE!! She hung up the phone. The last time I had to deal with this lady I requested a call back from her manager that was 4-6 weeks ago still no word from that person. So yet again I have a request to speak with her manager about her actions and tone. In the end I had to call back yet again got a great guy who attempted to gather information on my RMA someone IMed him stating they are out of stock on my card and they stop communicating with him in middle of that chat. We both waited on the phone for about 6 minutes for a resolution or direction, but nothing. I can safely say I have never been rude to anyone at BFG but at this point I really want nothing to do with them once I have a working card it was Jeff or any other rep that made me feel this way it was the lady in the RMA department and the lack of followup from management that is pushing me away.

My comments here are not for anyone to say don't buy BFG or their products sucks. My views here are based on the issues I have at hand. I guess my cell phone provider will be happy to see that I have used 63 minutes of my anytime air time.

I'm getting involved. Very sorry to hear this and wanted to let you know that this is not how our brand and customer service is positioned. Please PM me if you have any more detail or other issues with your experience.

Thanks,
Scott

I'm getting involved. Very sorry to hear this and wanted to let you know that this is not how our brand and customer service is positioned. Please PM me if you have any more detail or other issues with your experience.

Thanks,
Scott

THIS is why I buy BFG. Any other company for us [H] members and our experience is decided by whoever happens to take care of us on the phone. Just makes me feel damn good to know that if someone on the phone at BFG happens to not take care of me properly I can contact someone here and get someone who cares. How many companies in any industry do most of us have an inside track like that with, especially for just being a member of a community of fellow enthusiasts?

Thanks,
Scott

Major props. As en employee, when I hear my CEO say he's getting involved in an RMA I was the point of contact for, I start getting worried...lol

On that note, CEO ventures onto forum? Can't say I've ever seen that from a video card mfg.

If you need a new RMA Supervisor sherkelman, I'm in need of a job ;)

bigty, safe to say your issue will be resolved in hasty manner.

Crap, those are the big guns. I've heard of CEOs buying people cards at trade shows but never seen this happen. Props.

I know Jeff will return tomorrow, but I did followup on my RMA and again got a really nice front line rep who took my call. After looking at the notes and understand that the Sup I spoke with on the 11th stated my card would be here tomorrow said its not shipped and I need to speak with the RMA department. I got some supervisor of RMA who was VERY rude. This is the same woman I spoke to in my last RMA, and did I get any information or movement on they issue with my current card NOPE!! She hung up the phone. The last time I had to deal with this lady I requested a call back from her manager that was 4-6 weeks ago still no word from that person. So yet again I have a request to speak with her manager about her actions and tone. In the end I had to call back yet again got a great guy who attempted to gather information on my RMA someone IMed him stating they are out of stock on my card and they stop communicating with him in middle of that chat. We both waited on the phone for about 6 minutes for a resolution or direction, but nothing. I can safely say I have never been rude to anyone at BFG but at this point I really want nothing to do with them once I have a working card it was Jeff or any other rep that made me feel this way it was the lady in the RMA department and the lack of followup from management that is pushing me away.

It's been said before, but I again want to apologize for the way things went down with our support staff. Rest assured this will be addressed.

I would like to setup a call tomorrow if possible so we can discuss how we are going to resolve this issue for good, and I would like some more details about what happened on the phone. Please let me know a good time to call, and a number that you can be reached at so we can discuss further.

Thank you.

i have never purchased anything with a BFG name on it, but from the few previous posts, im starting to think that i should start buying BFG products

great to see people care about customers

All

I have sent PMs to both BFG contact I will update with out once everything is worked out. I do thank Scott and Jeff for reaching out to me, and the support of the forums members. I want to be clear I am not saying BFG is a bad company in any way I see them trying to solve every issue with every customer and we have seen many times on this forums they are batting a high percentage when resolving issues. I believe the Jeff and Scott backing him up we can work out ALL of the concurrence and issues that I sent to them. I will say just seeing Scott reply to my issue means a lot with me and that alone leaves me very optimistic that something good will get done.

"fingers crossed"

Scott and Jeff

I am really appreciate everything you two are doing to aid me in this event. Your action on the forums and in the past for Jeff shows that BFG does want to please its customers within reason. So again thank you guys for the work that you do for your customers.

Last edited:
A few months back I had an issue with some BFG 280s that were failing fairly often, lots of artifacts for no reason. Jeff came on board and tested the third RMA card over the weekend, he sent it overnight and ever since that card is rock solid. I just had some bad luck with the first few. BFG gets my business from now on.

*Update*

As of today I have had my issue addressed, with the leadership of Scott and the ownership of Jeff. They have taken my isolated case of the prolonged RMA, figured out what the issue was *not my equipment* and went the extra mile to taken care of another BFG customer. I can not say enough good things abut Jeff and all the other front line reps that supported me. So great job BFG another happy customer.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. I've always been a bit of a cynic when it comes to non-retailer customer service, but I can see how it makes a difference.

Good job BFG.

Now that is beyond great customer service! Glad to hear things got sorted out and gives me more confidence of buying BFG in the future.

Over all it’s a great company some things I wish they would automat like their registration section on their website, and BFG issued driver like EVGA does. That is the only real improvements I can say as a company that would be a plus for me personally. I will say feel free that you will be taken care of as a customer if you go BFG as long as you don’t get that lady in the RMA department ;) :)

Back