BF3 vehicles very disappointing? anyone else?

RyanLucier

Gawd
Finally got to try caspian border on a 64 player map... and so far I'm wholly unimpressed. BF2 was far superior in my opinion... no radar, no missiles... what the hell, is this world war 1 with afterburners?

The whole game seems like a big laggy mess, but the simple fact that helicopters and jets bring nothing new to the table really is disappointing.

Anyone else share the same thoughts or am I just being too picky?

cancel your pre-order, one less whiny noob.

JOKE. I think they're fine, once you learn how to fly the jets and actually blow up tanks and buzz the shit out of capture points you'll realise that the Jets are infact useful, at the moment it's just guys flying around in circles because it's awesome and fun and that's all they can do.

tanks are fine, jeeps are fine, as are the Helis.

I've only experienced lag when there were only a handful of caspian servers and they were passworded.

I'm not having any of these issues. Maybe you need to buy a new computer or upgrade yours.

Well I have a 4ghz i7 with gtx 580 sli and a 30"... not too sure how much higher I can go really... The game was laggy on multiple servers (I have a very fast connection, no other games lag, google.com pings at 12ms) and things were jumping around a lot.

But technical issues aside, I'm really talking more to the "bland-ness" of the vehicles. They brought nothing new, and I don't find myself feeling like I'm really even flying a jet or helicopter. Seems just sloppy and lacking cool features, especially lacking missiles - what were they thinking?

stop playing on shitty servers dude, play on low ping servers i never notice any issues on the best servers, and i playing at 1900 x 1200 with a 5850 on crosfire evrythink on ultra this game its really beatiful :cool:

But technical issues aside, I'm really talking more to the "bland-ness" of the vehicles. They brought nothing new, and I don't find myself feeling like I'm really even flying a jet or helicopter. Seems just sloppy and lacking cool features, especially lacking missiles - what were they thinking?

What did you want, rims on the jeeps? The jets to be able to transform into Mecha robots that fire lazer beams from their eyes?

I really don't get how the vehicles are 'bland'?.. they all handle brilliantly and are far from sloppy, more to the point they do what they are supposed to do, I know bf3 is not about realism but adding 'Cool features' sounds stupid. The sound design on each and every one is amazing too.

Well I have a 4ghz i7 with gtx 580 sli and a 30"... not too sure how much higher I can go really... The game was laggy on multiple servers (I have a very fast connection, no other games lag, google.com pings at 12ms) and things were jumping around a lot.

i think you installed the wrong game.. the one you want is MW3, not BF3.. move along..

i think you installed the wrong game.. the one you want is MW3, not BF3.. move along..
I know I will be as soon as it's released. BF3 is not the tits. It's good, but not as good as fan boys try to make it out to be.

He is right about the lack of personality or something to the game. Graphics are pretty amazing and the map isn't bad at all. I guess it really feels like bf2 + a new engine but somehow lacking the full effect. Probably the effect of being incomplete. The last bits of polish.

Oh and the is LAG. The rubber banding and crashing of the servers is obvious. If you haven't noticed, then either your drink or drugs are superior. See the last South Park?

Bugs: Several sound loops. The old repeating gun? It's BAAaaaaack!

I died, was revived, then kept "dying" over and over again as my health went from 100 to 0 and back while I was running around like some annoyed zombie.

My biggest gripe was the sound. It didn't feel or sound like a 5.1 game to me playing caspian, and seemed to be lackluster, but I am hoping this changes with the full release via war-tapes sound quality, I hope. I thought all the vehicles were cool, but it did suck I couldn't use missiles. The chopper I was disappointed in though, but I was flying with my mouse so I'm not surprised it was awkward. I'll be busting out my sidewinder joystick when the game ships and live it up in the air.

I know I will be as soon as it's released. BF3 is not the tits. It's good, but not as good as fan boys try to make it out to be.

Yep, and that's ok. Please don't waste your time playing BF3 with us.

I believe you have to unlock those goodies for the aircraft, stuff like bombs and all, for it to be fun.

Only problem is its very difficult to get any play time in an aircraft as many players are constantly snatching them up ,I've seen some even camp out at the base waiting for it to spawn:eek:

I've managed to try out all the ground vehicle, but none of the aircraft or heli.

Wait a minute....You can't shoot missiles while flying a jet? LOL....

Only had any lag on the first day Caspian was unlocked. Smooth as butter now. Having a blast.

The whole game seems like a big laggy mess, but the simple fact that helicopters and jets bring nothing new to the table really is disappointing

That's because they have been neutered so much that they don't actually influence the tide of battle, its almost like a mini-game within BF3 where they just dog fight each other and try to avoid the hoards of engineers that continually spam stinger missiles. Pretty pathetic if you ask me, and its been done to appease all the whiners and CoD players who cried about jet raping in BF2.

I believe you have to unlock those goodies for the aircraft, stuff like bombs and all, for it to be fun.

Based on what people are saying who have achieved all those unlocks, it does not sound like having them is going to make flying any more fun.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826551139132377284/

Quite apart from the fact that the unlock system for jets creates significant imbalances for newcomers or those who don't whore them from the outset in order to get the unlocks. Pretty stupid IMHO.

Honestly some of you react like you wrote the fucking code to the game. Get some perspective people, I'm just trying to have a conversation. Some of you are adding NOTHING to the conversation, for example: "i think you installed the wrong game.. the one you want is MW3, not BF3.. move along.." - quite the contrary, I hate CoD, and loved BF2. You're making assumptions without having any idea wtf you're talking about, and it's tantamount to just trolling in my opinion.

Moving on:
Defiant you pretty much hit it on the head. I never felt like I could influence the battle, I didn't have missiles to actually gain "air superiority" and even if i had it... what's the point with no bombs or air-to-ground missiles?

I think they missed a golden opportunity to create some true-to-life scenarios that would of been VERY fun. For example:

One side is given 3 planes, 2 heli's, a couple blackhawks, a couple M1's basically all the high tech shit. The other however is relegated to nothing but a few buggies/motorcycles, BUT they have access to an underground network of access tunnels and opportunistic spawn points/high ground bunkers the other side doesn't have, making an interesting scenario (and realistic, it has happened before).

Or imagine one side is given blackhawks and apaches but the other side has an air strip. They would need commandos to "neutralize" the airstrip before the blackhawks and apaches could actually be used otherwise the aircraft would own the shit out of the helicopters...

How FUN would that be? Instead, it seems like everyone is just playing by themselves instead of working as a single cohesive force, much like call of duty. It's almost like they've lost their identity as battlefield and turned into the jack of all trades, master of none, and consequently the MEH factor is raised quite a bit.

Thoughts?

The vehicle nerfing wouldn't be so bad and annoying if the game was a genuine attempt at a PC-based sequel to BF2. The vehicle nerfing is worse because we know exactly why they have been dumbed down so much.

c
o
n
s
o
l
e
s

Its a travesty for the BF franchise to water down one of the core games in the series with concessions towards thumb-monkeys and console manchildren.

Considering you are judging a beta and you likely have zero unlocks for any of the vehicles .. I don't really see how you are getting an accurate enough idea of what they are really like and passing judgement at this point is premature at best.

Like every other major BF game to release , they will have to patch it to clean it up. BFBC2 didn't have a clean launch , it required patch after patch to smooth out issues. Same thing with BF2. DICE doesn't know how to launch a fully zipped up and neat release .. they always have to spend the next few months following launch patching and tweaking.

A game with such a central MP focus is going to take time to balance out and that only happens after launch. Have some patience.

when BC2 was released we used the Blackhawk for transport, fly from base to mcom then bail out and arm or spawnkill the other team like in Isla. I’m sure you’ll find some posts in the BC2 thread about how useless it was. I can’t really talk about it since I couldn’t even take off hehe. planting C4 on the nose then landing it on the mcom was also fun (couldn't do it though).

then players learned how to circle strafe, once you found a pilot who can do it it was fun to be with him even if you didn’t take the single useful gunner seat.

then we knew how to hover, a good pilot with 2 good gunners can easily dominate an entire team and some servers has a “no heli abuse” rule now.

Based on what people are saying who have achieved all those unlocks, it does not sound like having them is going to make flying any more fun.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2826551139132377284/

I agree with what the poster in that thread said but:
1- he has about 200 kills in 10 flight hours! I was killed 3 times by the same pilot in few minutes, 1 while he was killing everyone waiting for the jet, 1 while I was taking off and 1 in air. I shot him down with the stinger after a long time because he kept going back to his base area to regain health
2- trust me, 3 months from now and jet whoring will be everywhere and people will start asking for a jet nerf
3- he gave a low rating to most of the unlocks because he will only give 10/10 to a nuclear bomb or maximum unbreakable armor unlock, I want them too but 1. (look at #2) 2. the waiting lanes for jets are already long and will remain like this for ever so do we really need to make it more fun?

from here
You can: Do a almost 90 degree turn directly at takeoff.
You can: go sideways because of the yawing thats very very very ugly.
You can: go upside down without any loss of altitude no matter your pitch.
you can: tilt the craft in a 90 degree bank and still head exactly where the nose points.
you can: slow down to 50kph and still go straight without loss of altitude.
You can: land on a house, since the only runway required is about the same length of the aircraf.
You can: yaw and then whoops the hud disappears from the actuall hud screen because yawing is actually affecting it. Like it isnt actually inside the plane.
You can ACTUALLY: (and I've done this) stand in front of a house, pull full throttle, bump right into the house, forcing you above it, hitting the 5 trees thats behind it, bounce around between them for a while, turning you into some weird skateboard spin that's never been heard off, then bounce out from the bunch of trees, in an angle that defies all laws of physics, with 20 kph, and sitll make it out of there without any hp loss at all.

The jets flies like they are from some 8th dimension, with no interaction with outside forces, no gravity, no airflow, nothing.

I prefer fixing these handling issues first instead of “nerf everything anti my jet and increase everything in my jet”

Damn I had forgotten all about my Logitech X3D pro when I tried to fly a jet, what a disaster, lol. Time to dig it out and dust her off :).

Sucked trying to fly with kb/m.

I'll agree with some of the people here, the game is awesome, but it is lacking some things. First impressions of getting in to 64player caspian. I felt lost, like there was no direction, there was just chaos. It was not like bf2 I really do miss the "Team work" in the game. I flew the jet, and i died several times, some reason I couldnt change the mouse invert. Im sure i'll find out sooner or later, im still hoping they do a few more things to the game to make if feel a bit better. The graphics are awesome, running through the grass, trees and seeing the streams of water was pretty cool. But will see how it goes, im still going to get it and feed on it like a crack head. :)

First impressions of getting in to 64player caspian. I felt lost, like there was no direction, there was just chaos. It was not like bf2 I really do miss the "Team work" in the game.

I noticed that too, I am hoping that this is just because it's a beta...everyone is just trying stuff out, not really focusing on the objective of the game, etc etc.

Helicopter is embarrassingly useless. I've actually gotten the hang of flying them, and they actually handle more realistically than BF2. However, not only are the rockets even more useless than in BC2, I can barely get into the target area without going down. The damage model they have is quite nice/realistic for tanks, but not for air vehicles especially helicopters.

This. The game is not all that, and if there was no BF2 everyone would be acting COMPLETELY different about the game.

Completely.

People are upset because they can't fly around willy nilly raping everyone with god mode like BF2.

People are upset because they can't fly around willy nilly raping everyone with god mode like BF2.

Only if you were crap at avoiding and countering them. Now they are absolutely useless. If people hate them so much why not just play on infantry only servers!?!

It was bit laggy for me as well. Is v-sync broken in general? Mine wasn't working when I played Caspian for the first time last night.

Jets are useless as they are, you have to pick between guided bombs for ground targets and heat seekers for air targets.

Jets have to make 2-3 passes using their guns to take out a tank

Helicopters take too many missiles to take out a tank

Guided bombs actually help the team by taking out tanks, but leave you vulnerable to other jets with heat seekers.

Too much anti-air: stationary AA guns near bases, mobile AA tanks, Stingers in the hands of 5 or more infantry on the ground.

Sweet, so we won't have a repeat of the Wake Island 2007 jet whoring rape fest again. I hated that god damn map for that reason.

I know right. You know another game that pisses me off? NBA Jam. How dare they use the NBA name with this horrible game. There are no time outs, people jump like 3 stories in the air, at one point my guys hands caught on fire, the refs haven't called a single foul, and there are only 2 players on the court? WTF.

Jets have to make 2-3 passes using their guns to take out a tank.

You could not take out a tank in BF2 with one pass, in fact you'd probably need more than 3.

But in general vehicles in BF3 are not as well handling as in BF2, they have no "weight" to them at all, a helicopter takes off from the ground very lightly, like it weighs nothing.

Also the game is VERY collision forgiving. Rough landing, driving your tank into a ditch, nothing damage.

Actually with how BF3 is setup, it seems like a commander mode would be more useful in it than BF2 with the specialization involved.

For instance you can setup your plan to control the sky, or to provide ground support. This would be better done if the commander could influence this, as they could see the bigger picture.

Engineers can carry anti air at the expense of anti ground. Again this would be more useful if someone who could see the bigger could direct this somehow.

My personal gripe with the vehicles is the mounted HMGs on them turn really slow on the light transports (eg. growler).

There wasn't god mode... given that being on the ground it was definitely difficult to take a chopper down with only the small arms, if you or your team were smart, you'd go AT and get a shot or 2 off, or you'd jump in a vehicle and use its mounted gun. I was pretty damn good as AT and got good enough to be able to hit Vehicles & Infantry at a distance with out scoping in.

Also, if your gunner was a tard, he wouldn't be able to hit much, if you were a godly gunner, most times you ended up with a tard for a pilot that wouldn't listen to you spotting the enemy helo, or tanks around you. It was very team reliant. I didn't try vehicles during BF3's beta, how are the helos in BF3 vs BC2 vs BF2? I felt like the BC2 ones were way easy to shoot down and kinda flew like the Hind from BF2 Spec Forces... except they dumbed it down to easy mode.

Last edited:
Back