BF3 Tweaks and Help Thread

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you run AMD, you get a lot better performance by enabling just FXAA instead of MSAA or both.

FYI for those who suggested turning Aero off...Windows disables Aero automatically when any 3D application is loaded. sometimes you can alt-tab out and see the standard theme for a second or 2. If you play in Windowed mode, Windows wont disable it.

I run multiple monitors, and i can see my taskbar, and its still aero'd when im in a fullscreen game.

I run multiple monitors, and i can see my taskbar, and its still aero'd when im in a fullscreen game.

If you are only running fullscreen on one monitor (instead of eyefinity), then Windows may treat that the same as running in windowed mode (since it still has to composite a desktop for the other monitor).

The config file add in just will not work for me yet. Weird. Eventually it will I guess.

Win 7 won't disable Aero when running full screen 3D app by itself. You must tell it to do so.

The config file add in just will not work for me yet. Weird. Eventually it will I guess.

Space, make sure its not named "user.cfg.txt". Make sure to save as all files instead of a text doc. I made the same mistake at first.

Right. Probably the issue. Been brain dead lately. Thanks Bored. I will add you btw.

Thanks I'll try that.

Can someone explain to me what this command does
Boost: WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0

Some are saying it does nothing but kills your performance, if that's true I don't mind turning it off, I would just like an explanation for what it is/does first.

Anyone figure this one out? I've looked at screen shots and there was obvious difference with or without it

anyone else notice severe slowdown after playing for a while? i used to get stuttering when textures was on Ultra but lowering that helped. Now after playing for an hour or so my FPS is halved. exiting the game and origin have no effect, but rebooting fixes it entirely. nothing else changes and im not loading up any programs that arent already running...

anyone else notice severe slowdown after playing for a while? i used to get stuttering when textures was on Ultra but lowering that helped. Now after playing for an hour or so my FPS is halved. exiting the game and origin have no effect, but rebooting fixes it entirely. nothing else changes and im not loading up any programs that arent already running...
Sounds like a memory leak.

I'll wait until BF3 gets some good patches before I buy it, and of course will wait for the all new next generation VideoCards due out in Jan/Feb, a single card like GTX-580 and HD 6970 will be ancient history, this new line of cards is supposed to be a major leap forward. Rumors point to AMD's top of the line single card to be close in performance to the dual 6990 And the dual 7990 set for a March/April release will be 75% faster than the 6990

I am not buying any of these new games now, until I get a next gen card, I need them to run triple screen 27" Eyefinity.

Hey guys, I found this tweak I haven't tested yet.

Stuck on Joining Server / Long map load times ?

Cause: Bug with x64 OS
Fix: Open / Run regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WoW6432Node/EA Games

Change the GDFBinary & InstallDir paths to C:program Files (x86)Origin GamesBattlefield 3

Try to launch the game and join game servers, and it should work.

this game, I swear. My fps swings from 120 to 50 fps. Wtf? For the most part it is above 80 but man that is a big swing. Getting 4 more GBs of ram for a total of 8. Hope that helps.

Also, I was getting those green flashes. I turned my cpu back to default stock and they went away.

I get those lovely green flashes occasionally but it's not enough to make me turn down my CPU and GPU overclocks.

I just upgraded from 2x2gb to 4x2gb and the loading difference is incredible. I notice no difference on the first load-up of BF3 and the first map load. But when it switches maps... holee cow. My map load time has deceased 300%. I'm always too fast to load maps for the server so I sit at a black screen until the server rotates so I get my deploy screen. It gives me plenty of time to select my preferred loadout and customizations before the timer runs out. Before my upgrade I couldn't get my loadout done before everyone else started the game.

It's well worth the $27 of RAM to me!

I found this on another forum and I thought people here would like to see this.

"don't know if this has been posted already. But here is how to get the commands in game load automatically everytime you enter the game: go to where bf3.exe is located, create a text file, rename and change the extension to user.cfg, type any commands you want, here are mine for optimized game:

WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
RenderDevice.TrippleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
Render.DrawFps 1
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
Render.PerfOverlayEnable 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0

enjoy the game"

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...0483-battlefield-3-discussion-thread-359.html

yeah this definately forces DX11 off, just tried it on my system, while i did get higher frame rates than i get running normal low settings on my rig overall the game was not as smooth as before, this my be a result of the DX9 not being as optimized as DX11 is for SLI in the game.

few things to note though running this, my CPU stopped being the bottleneck on FPS and now it was my GPU's and as a result my GPU usage was maxed on both cards where in normal DX11 low settings both my GPU's will hang out around 70-80% usage.

the bottom line for me is i will play DX11 low settings online because its smoother on my machine and the game still looks better than that DX9 high modified config you posted :)

there is no DX9 path

well its shutting off something DX11 related, i guess its reverting to DX10 then? also if DX11 is all the game can use then why can cards that are not DX11 capable able to play the game?

what i can tell you for sure is with those settings he posted the graphics look much worse than standard low settings on my machine. and cpu use is much less while gpu use goes to the max.

It's exclusively DX11 from an API standpoint, it will even come up as D3D11 in something like MSI afterburner on DX10 hardware like my GTX 260.

If you have DX11 hardware it should use the compute shader path for lighting, it's sole purpose is to be faster, not look different. The only DX11 feature besides that is terrain tessellation. If anything made a difference, I'd guess it to be: RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit

I found this on another forum and I thought people here would like to see this.

"don't know if this has been posted already. But here is how to get the commands in game load automatically everytime you enter the game: go to where bf3.exe is located, create a text file, rename and change the extension to user.cfg, type any commands you want, here are mine for optimized game:

WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 256
RenderDevice.TrippleBufferingEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
Render.DrawFps 1
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
Render.PerfOverlayEnable 0
PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0

enjoy the game"

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...0483-battlefield-3-discussion-thread-359.html

Been using this for a week now. Works wonders on my low end machine. I actually get about 40fps constant now, with no fps dips into the single digits like I did before. I'm running 1280x960 resolution at lowest settings and everything else off. See my sig for my hardware.

A couple of observations though:
1. The fps counter remains stuck at 30. Running Fraps and having this command on at the same time crashes the game.
2. One of these settings definitely turns off something terrain or tesselation related. I notice quite a bit that soldier's feet appear to be hovering a couple inches off the ground sometimes. Happens more often on desert maps or asphalt and is only viewable from certain angles.
3. My GPU usage went down from 100% to 80% even on my shitty card. CPU usage remains roughly the same...maybe 5% increase from 90% to 95%, but its hard to tell without looking at the graph all the time. The only time I saw GPU usage spike to 100% is during firefights standing near something burning.
4. Noticed the game failing to load first few times since I put these tweaks in place, but I'm unable to determine if that has to do with something server side, the game itself, drivers, or the tweaks causing the issue. It's too random, but I definitely noticed an increase in this happening since I did the tweaks.

Last edited:
Is your friend using a router? Me and a buddy was trying to join a co-op match and it kept giving him the same message. He finally had to go into his router and manually open the required port for the game to join properly.

Been using this for a week now. Works wonders on my low end machine. I actually get about 40fps constant now, with no fps dips into the single digits like I did before. I'm running 1280x960 resolution at lowest settings and everything else off. See my sig for my hardware.

A couple of observations though:
1. The fps counter remains stuck at 30. Running Fraps and having this command on at the same time crashes the game.
2. One of these settings definitely turns off something terrain or tesselation related. I notice quite a bit that soldier's feet appear to be hovering a couple inches off the ground sometimes. Happens more often on desert maps or asphalt and is only viewable from certain angles.
3. My GPU usage went down from 100% to 80% even on my shitty card. CPU usage remains roughly the same...maybe 5% increase from 90% to 95%, but its hard to tell without looking at the graph all the time. The only time I saw GPU usage spike to 100% is during firefights standing near something burning.
4. Noticed the game failing to load first few times since I put these tweaks in place, but I'm unable to determine if that has to do with something server side, the game itself, drivers, or the tweaks causing the issue. It's too random, but I definitely noticed an increase in this happening since I did the tweaks.

Pretty sure the drawfps command sets it to 30 I removed that one and now get 60 showing on fraps.

regarding turning off dx11, I got an error message from windows saying dx9 could not be located / turned on or something along those lines! Ofcourse a fresh install of windows 7 and only new ish games I didnt have dx9 or atleast I assume I didn't. Downloaded a dx9 redist. and now no longer get the error and can definitely see the visual affect of no tessellation! CPU still at 100% and lagging me though :(

Any more tweaks for turning shit off? :D

Back