BF3 + 670 4GB = Red Screen Crash

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a buddy running a i7 rig. He recently upgraded from a AMD 6700 to a nVidia 670 4GB. Since then he gets red screen crashes when he plays BF3. If he drops the 6700 back in the game runs fine.

He has tried re installing Windows 7 to rule out some sort of driver conflict. Power supply is good to go, a Corsair 700+ watt one.

Anyone have any ideas?

tell your friend to return it, the card is most likely defective.

but before you do that find out if its the oc'd version?

if it is the oc'd version then tell your friend to drop the MHZ to stock settings and tell your friend to still add some extra voltage, around .25 extra V but no more than .50v, some dumb companies dont add the extra V for oc'd cards and with more memory.

tell your friend to download MSI Afterburner, my bro's MSI 560ti had similar issues, it came oc'd but was using less V than my stock 560ti, i simply bumped up the V on his card and he hasnt had any issues since.

if that dont work then let your friend know that the card is defective.

Last edited:
Need more information. AMD 6700 isn't a real card. You're just giving us a series number. Also the 4GB GTX 670, I'm assuming it's one of these EVGA Superclocked or FTW cards, or maybe a Galaxy factory overclocked ones? We need all of the details. How old is his power supply? How are the temperatures on his new GTX 670? Did he buy it off someone else or from a retailer?

what kind of crashes? driver crashes, bsod's, or just a straight reboot?

Randomly he will be playing BF3 and then the display will just turn red. I saw quite of few posts about this on eVGA forums, but nothing was ever said how to prevent it from happening, just people saying it happens to them.

Need more information. AMD 6700 isn't a real card. You're just giving us a series number. Also the 4GB GTX 670, I'm assuming it's one of these EVGA Superclocked or FTW cards, or maybe a Galaxy factory overclocked ones? We need all of the details. How old is his power supply? How are the temperatures on his new GTX 670? Did he buy it off someone else or from a retailer?

I really have no idea what AMD card it was, it doesn't really matter. The point is, his system ran fine with his previous card and still does if he swaps them back and forth. He did eventually do a fresh install of Win7 so it ruled out the driver conflict theory people like to throw up.

tell your friend to return it, the card is most likely defective.

but before you do that find out if its the oc'd version?

if it is the oc'd version then tell your friend to drop the MHZ to stock settings and tell your friend to still add some extra voltage, around .25 extra V but no more than .50v, some dumb companies dont add the extra V for oc'd cards and with more memory.

tell your friend to download MSI Afterburner, my bro's MSI 560ti had similar issues, it came oc'd but was using less V than my stock 560ti, i simply bumped up the V on his card and he hasnt had any issues since.

if that dont work then let your friend know that the card is defective.

He has screwed with all that stuff. Maybe not the voltage

Thanks for all the input, if I see him, I will show him this thread. .

Last edited:
has he updated the firmware on the card? if not tell him its on the evga forums under the GTX 6XX section... its pretty easy and safe. if that doesnt work then tell him to rma the card

Back