BF2 Patch 1.03 release in 5 days

donahue

Gawd
Well since 1.02 shafted my computer and didn't work no matter what I did, I will be able to play with the 1.03 patch on Sept 23rd.

Details from TotalBF2.com forums:

BF2 patch 1.03 Alpha - 2 Sept · Beta - 19 Sept · Final - 23 Sept

· CQC/ECG Sub - 28 Sept
· Release - 3 Oct Wake Island· In a surprise move, forces of the People's Liberation Army have attacked and captured Wake Island in a bid to threaten US lines of supply. USMC forces have been short-stopped from their deployment in Manchuria to respond to this new threat. The airbase on Wake Island is the lynchpin of the Chinese air threat, however it is highly susceptible to ground attack.

Compare Feature· By clicking the COMPARE button in BFHQ, you can search for another players name and load their current stats into BFHQ. Using the arrow buttons next to the name in the top-left corner of the menu, you can toggle between your stats and their stats. You can also load a player's stats by double-clicking on their name in any leaderboard.

BF2 Account Tag · You can add a 6-character prefix to your account nickname which will be displayed in-game next to your nametag in the scoresheet, in game messages, and above your player. This prefix does not change your account name or statistic information (e.g. the prefix does not appear next to your name on the leaderboards). You can change this prefix at any time at the account login menu.

Server Reserved Slots· Server admins can define a list of player BF2 account names which will reserve VIP slots on the server.

Engineer/Helicopter· Modified the rate at which engineer can repair a helicopter while sitting in the helicopter. It now takes longer for the engineer to repair the helicopter.

Vehicle/Control Point Capture· Only one person in a vehicle counts towards a control point capture. If passengers want to increase the rate of the flag change, they must disembark from the vehicle.

Vehicle/Soldier interaction· Improved physics of vehicles against soldiers so that soldiers are not as easily killed by moving vehicles. Bring on the wing-walkers!

Auto Balance· Auto team balance no longer moves the commander or squad leaders to the other team.

Point Farming· Limits placed on ability to point farm.

Rank/Awards· Criteria for gaining ranks and awards has been changed.

Supply Drop· The commander's supply drop now has an icon on the minimap and a 3D-map icon in the world.

Engineer/Helicopter· Modified the rate at which engineer can repair a helicopter while sitting in the helicopter. It now takes longer for the engineer to repair the helicopter.

it takes forever as it is

Vehicle/Control Point Capture· Only one person in a vehicle counts towards a control point capture. If passengers want to increase the rate of the flag change, they must disembark from the vehicle.

Well, that'll prevent the Blackhawk Whores on Mashtuur city somewhat. At any rate it'll at least force the pilot to get down far enough so a Spec Ops can plant C4 on it and take them out. Definitely a welcome and balanced change.

Anyone remember the wing walking in BF42 in CTF? Oh MAN did that suck.

and HOORAY Wake Island. Everyone's favorite map from BF42.

hehe i can't wait for that download...

well yeah i can. i've just been playing single player with unlocks until my friend gets his new pc hooked up to the internet. i can't wait for that! squad play with your friends. :D

Ah, just assumed it was there...Still no points for destroying UAV or Arty! wtf haha

yhamez said:
Ah, just assumed it was there...Still no points for destroying UAV or Arty! wtf haha

Hopefully this line covers that.... Hopefully....

"Rank/Awards· Criteria for gaining ranks and awards has been changed."

That_Sound_Guy said:
Hopefully this line covers that.... Hopefully....

"Rank/Awards· Criteria for gaining ranks and awards has been changed."
Didn't get to that conlcusion on the first read. Thanks for pointing it out, now I can still hope :)

yhamez said:

I have read elsewhere that SpecOps will now get points for these objectives. This list is brief compared to other posts I have seen on the 1.03 patch, err now known as the 1.1 patch.

EA confirmed that you will receive points for destroying commander assets. And why is this suddenly Sept 23? On the same exact news post, which you posted, posted everywhere on the internet and on the TotalBF2 forums showed that the 'final' would be Oct 3.

So basically, besides making slight contact with a moving vehicle less lethal, they are discouraging teamwork. Its hard enough already to get enough smart players to put together a good Blackhawk squad. Not only that but a full blackhawk was a wonderful prize for a good enemy pilot or ground gunner. For the level of teamwork required to make the blackhawk effective, the same level of teamwork on the other team would negate the benefit of a decent BH team. I've had many rounds when my squad worked perfectly in the BH yet we constantly got shot down giving huge kills to who ever shot us down.

Of course the things I really wanted to see like a favorites list, fix for the red tag bug, better TK assignment, more effective anti-aircraft, points for destroying commander assets and maybe a not-so-neutered sniper rifle are not on that list.

At least they improved the autobalance.

i really wish they would even out the potato and the blackhawk guns. the bhawk is just too lethal. also, of the attack choppers, the gun on the Mi-28 is by far the best, the AH-1Z is 2nd, and the chinese is horrible. I wish that had been modified as well.

misterE said:
i really wish they would even out the potato and the blackhawk guns. the bhawk is just too lethal. also, of the attack choppers, the gun on the Mi-28 is by far the best, the AH-1Z is 2nd, and the chinese is horrible. I wish that had been modified as well.

It kind of evens out, the mec get the awesome Mi-28 gun while the us gets the blackhawk and its sprays of death. The chinese just get the shaft.

Nah, Chinese get the badass jeep. You know, the one that mysteriously does more damage to aircraft then their AAA vehicle? It also has a nice powerslide.. and a horn.

They also get really bad maps.. so bad that the US team doesn't even want to play them half of the time. Then again, neither do the Chinese.. hum..

RandysWay said:
EA confirmed that you will receive points for destroying commander assets. And why is this suddenly Sept 23? On the same exact news post, which you posted, posted everywhere on the internet and on the TotalBF2 forums showed that the 'final' would be Oct 3.

To me Sept 23 looks like a final internal date, so the public Oct 3 date sounds about right.

Toilet Duck said:
Nah, Chinese get the badass jeep. You know, the one that mysteriously does more damage to aircraft then their AAA vehicle? It also has a nice powerslide.. and a horn.

They also get really bad maps.. so bad that the US team doesn't even want to play them half of the time. Then again, neither do the Chinese.. hum..

Haha, no doubt. That Vodnik will drop a Blackhawk in record time.

Toilet Duck said:

lol
I find the horn the best bit. How do you give your position away the best? By having the horn blaring, and everyone in the jeep firing their guns. Funny to watch as well, like the durka durkas would do... and the powerslides are fun, too :p

The patch looks pretty good, hopefully it also fixes some crash to desktop issues that i've seen in the game, as well as anoying little things that we've come to either love or hate. looking forward to it!

Vehicle/Soldier interaction· Improved physics of vehicles against soldiers so that soldiers are not as easily killed by moving vehicles. Bring on the wing-walkers!

I know that was meant to help the people from not getting run over when exiting a moving vehicle, but does that mean it's also harder to kill someone by purposely running them over? I love getting in a fast moving vehicle and plowing people over, but with the patch will I need to get my fun by running people over by playing Carmageddon instead? :D

cgrant26 said:
So basically, besides making slight contact with a moving vehicle less lethal, they are discouraging teamwork. Its hard enough already to get enough smart players to put together a good Blackhawk squad. Not only that but a full blackhawk was a wonderful prize for a good enemy pilot or ground gunner. For the level of teamwork required to make the blackhawk effective, the same level of teamwork on the other team would negate the benefit of a decent BH team. I've had many rounds when my squad worked perfectly in the BH yet we constantly got shot down giving huge kills to who ever shot us down.

I am glad those Blackhawk whores get clamped down on....its not so much team work, its rush the blackhawk at the start of the round, cap as fast as you can, get shot down, rinse repeat....

They are mobile caps, guys just sitting in to whore points.....

excellent

Well, hopefully most of our issues will get solved with this patch. Sounds like they're trying to make it a fair game with the patch too, which will make the game much more fun to play.

Heh, I'll just be glad if I'll finally get points for blowing up stuff as a spec ops. When I first started playing this game I played spec ops almost exclusively because at first I thought I would get points for blowing up the enemies UAV trailer and artillery. Even after I found out that I wasn't getting points for doing this I still did it for quite a while just because I thought it would help out my team. After playing several weeks this way and getting an average of 10 to 20 points each round while everyone else was getting 50+ I realized I was just hurting myself as far as points were concerned.

Don't get me wrong. I'll still go and blow stuff on occassion. I just won't do it exclusively like I used. If this patch now allows points for this kind of action I'll get back in to doing it more often. Heck, maybe then I'll be able to finally get that damn second weapon unlock I've been trying to reach. It takes waaaayyyy too long to get each weapon unlock. I could care less about rank, I want more weapon choices.

I'm wondering why he thinks the 1.03 patch will make his game work. If you can't run 1.02 I think your going to be very disappointed.

that blackhawk/vehicle points thing was the worst thing they could have done... that was the essense of BF teamwork.. they just ruined the game.

quiksilverx181 said:
that blackhawk/vehicle points thing was the worst thing they could have done... that was the essense of BF teamwork.. they just ruined the game.

You can still ride to a flag and jump out as a team and defend the flag as a team. Then as a team you can call the helo back and have your squad pilot take you to the next flag. All as a team.... :rolleyes:

urbsnspices said:
You can still ride to a flag and jump out as a team and defend the flag as a team. Then as a team you can call the helo back and have your squad pilot take you to the next flag. All as a team.... :rolleyes:

hmm that makes sense, you know kind of like capturing a point realisticly. Everyone sitting in the same helicopter is not teamwork, everyone getting out of bird at same time to capture a point and then calling pilot back in to pick up is team work.

quiksilverx181 said:

Ruined the game for you and made it more interesting for the other 25+ people on the map who aren't in the blackhawk

Vriess said:
It kind of evens out, the mec get the awesome Mi-28 gun while the us gets the blackhawk and its sprays of death. The chinese just get the shaft.

IMO chinese have the best fighter...i love that thing :cool:

weebling1 said:
I'm wondering why he thinks the 1.03 patch will make his game work. If you can't run 1.02 I think your going to be very disappointed.

1.01 worked. 1.02 just won't install. Everytime I try it says "Patching failed"... I'm seriously hoping 1.03 fixes this as many many people had the same problem I did with 1.02.

airiox said:
Please fix the bug that makes your teamates show up as enemies.
It this really a bug? I swear I see enemies and kill them but I get a TK. I see no names but they look like enemies to me. Maybe I am not dreaming.

Staples said:
It this really a bug? I swear I see enemies and kill them but I get a TK. I see no names but they look like enemies to me. Maybe I am not dreaming.

Yeah that happens occasionally in the game. I've seen it first hand at my LAN parties where my squadmate will be screaming at me to kill the enemy infront of me, when all I see are friendlies. Or you might notice your commander getting tons of kills and then get booted for tks.

So is this patch actually coming out in 3 days? Or is this still speculation?

pigpen said:
So is this patch actually coming out in 3 days? Or is this still speculation?

i heard it comes out Oct 3, but who knows

botld92z said:
Ruined the game for you and made it more interesting for the other 25+ people on the map who aren't in the blackhawk

Yeah not only does it suck for the opposing team (MEC or Chinese) but it also sucks for the rest of your team that isn't in the blackhawk because essentially the six guys in the Blackhawk get all the points. I've been on servers with a full squad that was Blackhawk only and they'd take all the outposts on the map before I could get to the closest one. Now the pilot actually HAS to have skill because he now has to get low enough to the ground to drop off and pick up his team mates. I say skill because there are some maps that have outposts that are near impossible to get a whirly near. (Dragon valley comes to mind) In fact, this new setup actually helps the pilots out as you get driver ability assists whenever you drop someone off. I remember Gulf of Oman back in the demo just shuttling my teammates from the carrier to shore in the Blackhawk and getting alot of points for it.

Back