BF:BC2 & DX11? (SP Gameplay Vid)

xth-o-dth

n00b
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
35
Regarding all the eye candy in Bad Company 2, particle effects, textures etc., is it actually necessary to have a DX11-capable GPU to have it looking as it does in this vid?
I'm not sure if some of the particle effects (such as with the snow) are being rendered strictly with DX11 or not.

I'm not really "up-to-date" with what DX11 has to offer at the moment, but if you watch the entire vid, it goes through many different environments with many different effects and textures.

I've been an "Nvidia guy" the last few years, and am basically awaiting Fermi's release which will be DX11, but until then, is there anything that those of us without a DX11-capable GPU would really be missing out on visually right now?

Oh, and as a side note: is DX11 available only with Win7?
 
Regarding all the eye candy in Bad Company 2, particle effects, textures etc., is it actually necessary to have a DX11-capable GPU to have it looking as it does in this vid?
I'm not sure if some of the particle effects (such as with the snow) are being rendered strictly with DX11 or not.

I'm not really "up-to-date" with what DX11 has to offer at the moment, but if you watch the entire vid, it goes through many different environments with many different effects and textures.

I've been an "Nvidia guy" the last few years, and am basically awaiting Fermi's release which will be DX11, but until then, is there anything that those of us without a DX11-capable GPU would really be missing out on visually right now?

Oh, and as a side note: is DX11 available only with Win7?
That vid is from Xbox 360 gameplay. If you want your game to look like that, it can certainly be done on non-DX11 video cards.
 
That vid is from Xbox 360 gameplay. If you want your game to look like that, it can certainly be done on non-DX11 video cards.

That's taken from the 360? I'm not seeing where it says that specifically, but if it is, then you'd most certainly be right.

That looks way too good to be off the 360... no jaggies, amazing detail and effects... but if that's off the 360, then what exactly would DX11 on PC even have to offer over something looking that good already?
 
yeah thats the 360 version.. pay attention the popup stuff .. i think around 2 minutes or so in the video and you clearly see the blue X icon.. at 3:28 you see the RT and LT icons when hes on the side gun.. the 360 uses a blurred AA like ghostbusters uses for PC..
 
If you think the 360 version looks good then I don't think you even need DX11 hardware :}

On the grand scale of things console games look like ass, keep an eye on the super high resolution screenshot thread on the games forum on the 28th i'll be posting some 2560x1600 shots with all the eye candy max.

As for what effects specifically require DX11, I'm not sure, I don't think they've been very vocal about that, it's possible they're using DX11 paths simply for speed/optimisation rather than to use DX11 specific effects.

And DX11 doesn't require Win7, it will work on Vista onwards.
 
Keep in mind that a low quality video hides a lot of graphics flaws.

If you've played the PS3 beta, you'd know that there are a fair amount of jaggies and textures when viewed from an angle are blurry.
 
Ya the console version already look damn impressive, I think we can all agree to that. However, the PC version should be much much nicer.. which is a damn scary thought. Battlefield meets Crysis? :eek::cool:
 
Back
Top