BeyondGaming.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
[H],
I am interning with a local economic development company working with a new, local startup that has created a new gaming website/service: www.beyondgaming.net. My boss has tasked me with doing a little research among the gaming community, and I know that you guys are very critical and will say what you really think. Please, don't hold back!

After getting permission from Kyle, I have created a survey here:
CLOSED

I would VERY MUCH appreciate it if you, members of the [H] community, would take the 5 minutes to help me out and tell us what you think. It would really help me (just celebrating my 4[Y]ear membership mark) out with this internship.

If you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to ask.

Thanks!

EDIT: I have received all of the answers i will need. And as many as the free surveymonkey account will allow. Thanks, so much, [H], it is very much appreciated. I will leave this thread unlocked in case anyone has any more questions. if it is about the service itself, feel free to pm me your email address and I will forward it to the folks at Beyond Gaming.

Last edited:
Shouldn't this be in the Console gaming sub-forum? I completed the survey & nothing dealt with PC gaming. Wouldn't it be more specific to say that this survey regards console gaming only?

Edit: Here's my newly created profile, if any one is interested in adding me
http://www.beyondgaming.net/CrimsonKnight13

Last edited:
Good question, and one that was considered. But I did not want to sway the data by being too specific in choosing those polled. If someone does not have a console, that does not make their opinions less valid, especially considering that they would still represent the target demos of the company.

And thanks for taking it!

No problem. :) Thanks for the clarification & I really like the gamer ID integration a lot.

Welcome :)... just looked over the site a few minutes and took the survey, thanks for not making it a million-question-long one like some tend to!

I got to the third survey site, the one that says go to the web site and look around, and I lost interest. The survey did suggest that this is about console games of which I have no desire to play competitively so that is part of it. The other part is that while the web has an easy to follow 1-2-3 step that explains what you ought to do and what it's about, I didn't find any information about what I would consider the most important aspect linked from the front page; How much cash can I win and can I cash it out.

I found a clue buried in the FAQ section but it in turn referred to the Tournament page which I was unable to find before I again lost interest.

I don't have ADD, but I do have no patience and I hate waiting. ;)

If I dont game on any consoles do I put 0? I game on my PC maybe 20-40 hours a week. I used to be in a similar community for this but it was free, though still could win and bet on matches. it was structured similar to Cal. TWL I think it was called.

I got to the third survey site, the one that says go to the web site and look around, and I lost interest. The survey did suggest that this is about console games of which I have no desire to play competitively so that is part of it. The other part is that while the web has an easy to follow 1-2-3 step that explains what you ought to do and what it's about, I didn't find any information about what I would consider the most important aspect linked from the front page; How much cash can I win and can I cash it out.

I found a clue buried in the FAQ section but it in turn referred to the Tournament page which I was unable to find before I again lost interest.

I don't have ADD, but I do have no patience and I hate waiting. ;)
This is great feedback thanks. Sometimes when you have been nose-deep in something for some time, this kind of obvious oversight can cruise right past.

If I dont game on any consoles do I put 0? I game on my PC maybe 20-40 hours a week. I used to be in a similar community for this but it was free, though still could win and bet on matches. it was structured similar to Cal. TWL I think it was called.
However you see fit to answer it, it is somewhat vague in that regard on purpose.

Thanks again, for all of your responses so far. Keep them coming!

I got to the third survey site, the one that says go to the web site and look around, and I lost interest.

I also got to the third page of the survey before I x'd it out. It didn't seem to have anything to do with PC gaming, which is all I'm interested in. Also I didn't feel like taking the time to go and look at the website on dialup. I thought the GUI for the survey looked nice though. :)

couldnt view the website due to proxy filter at work, but i filled out the first part!

Well, Kuyaglen, that's part of the survey too. Right now, the service is only for consoles, but the messages that this data conveys will aid the company in catering to the demographic.

I'm a PC gamer and I filled it in.
There's an area within the survey that allows you to say that.

I guess they don't want pc games as they are farrr easier to cheat in.

Survey filled out. Was intrigued by the service a little, but the subscription fee killed any interest I had. Everyone likes playing for a bit of money now and again but paying every month when I'd probably lose more often then not is not something I'd find fun.

Not sure how far you can go with competitive gaming on consoles. PC is king in that area

Survey filled out. Was intrigued by the service a little, but the subscription fee killed any interest I had. Everyone likes playing for a bit of money now and again but paying every month when I'd probably lose more often then not is not something I'd find fun.

+1 but I filled it out.

+1 but I filled it out.
Is the AMOUNT of the subscription just too much, or the existence of one at all the issue?

Just the fact of having one at all is probably enough for a lot of people to be disinterested.

agree, and plus any pro gamer would not do that when you have all the tournies year round, most of them on LAN. Of course im referring to pc gaming mainly.

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I only need 4 more responses!

Some thoughts on the topic after some thinking

It is not the fee that bothers me, it is not knowing what % of that fee may be returned to the people paying. If I pay the $7/month and only $1 of that month comes back as prizes...i'm gonna give a big FU! With something like poker, you know what you get back.

The fee will be a good asshole filter and I think it needs to be there in some form.

I think I see what you mean. And in terms of "% of that fee... returned to the people paying." you mean in terms of tournaments etc? or do you mean in terms of re-investment in the site, features etc? Or Both?

Great feedback btw, thanks.

I would think people would be most interested in how much they themselves could potientally make using the service. I know that I would be really interested in some real examples such as how much the best player has made, or how much the average player makes.

The fee is a turn off for me, but then again I wouldn't bother trying it even if it was free. So my opinion on that matters less.

But if I ran it I'd probably have some sort of model where the "free mode" nets the user pennies if they win (money obtained from advertising or something). Then the "premium mode" allows for higher stakes.

Survey, done.

So, basically this seems to be like GamerSaloon.com, but instead of the house taking a % of the pot, it charges a monthly subscription fee. I guess as long as you play more than a couple cash games per month, the subscription fee would be cheaper, however (and perhaps counter intuitively), it will probably deter more people than a set % would. The subscription just feels like a commitment, where a 'pay as you go' type system feels less confining... even though in this case, the subscription will most likely save you money.

Maybe pointing out how much you save compared to % based sites would help. That's about all the C&C I've got for ya.

Anyway, it looks decent enough and GS seems to do pretty well. But then again, they are some strong competition lol.

DD, yea, in some ways it is similar. I do not want to get into too many details, as part of my agreement with Kyle was not to solicit membership and I want to be careful to respect that agreement. However, the legality of systems like GS and the others in the survey are questionable, though never challenged, plus BeyondGaming is a social network system that also integrates other web2.0 stuff. Also, games are auto-reported, so no honor system.
So similar yes, but different. As someone not representing BG, I can see benefits in all of the systems used right now, but none is perfect. yet. I figure there is a lot of room for this kind of service, given my college days in front of Halo and Halo2, beating the bejeezus out of my roomates. The trick is going to be figuring out what the average gamer, not just the hardcore gamer, wants from it, and filling that niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back