• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Beware: Buying While Retarded

lithium726 said:
i was offered 9.50 as a starting wage at best buy, for the geek squad, with no prior experience or any certs.

i was; however, the ONLY person they had EVER interviewed that knew you could put 4 devices on 2 IDE channels
rolleyes.gif


i didnt take it. why? they told me what the job description was.

what was the job description? :)
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
what was the job description? :)
ripping people off.

it just doesnt sit well with me. this is an acutual quote from the guy that was interviewing me

"if a customer comes in with a problem, and its an easy problem to fix, you cant tell them how to fix it. you have to either 1) sell our (overpriced and shitty ass service) to them or 2) sell them $200 worth of software to do the job for them."

when he asked me how to format a drive, i said the windows 2k/xp startup. when he asked about 9x systems, i said fdisk. he then sat tehre, stumped for a little while, and said... "well we just use partition magic...."

after that interview, i was 100% sure i was better versed in anything computers than any person sitting behind that counter.
 
lithium726 said:
ripping people off.

it just doesnt sit well with me. this is an acutual quote from the guy that was interviewing me

"if a customer comes in with a problem, and its an easy problem to fix, you cant tell them how to fix it. you have to either 1) sell our (overpriced and shitty ass service to them) or 2) sell them $200 worth of software to do the job for them."

when he asked me how to format a drive, i said the windows 2k/xp startup. when he asked about 9x systems, i said fdisk. he then sat tehre, stumped for a little while, and said... "well we just use partition magic...."

after that interview, i was 100% sure i was better versed in anything computers than any person sitting behind that counter.

ouch... guess they won't get an app from me in the future
 
blah...they didn't even call me back!!!! I left them my phone number and SSN and they never called me back! grr...
 
Everyone is complaning about bestbuy, compusa, and other retailers. Bottomline, people that know computers and actually have technical knowledge are not going to work there, they will get real jobs. I do not know why everyone is so f@$%ing surprised and if you know computers you wont go to these stores because we all know they overprice, so stop complaning and go to newegg, pricewatch and ebay.

Also for the kid who took back is old vid card for the 6800, congrats to him for making some money and overcoming the system. If you can get away for something so petty because of peoples idiocy, do it, if anything it helped out circutcity by realizing there is a problem and that they need to fix it. All of you people calling him a thief and that he is a horrible person, go back and cry to jesus or who ever you worship and shutup you babies. I mean he saw a flaw in the system and knew how he could take advantage of it and you know what, thats what we as humans do, we do what ever we can to make it. Who ever thinks he is a horrible person, did you have a childhood, did you not do some daring things in your lives. If you havent and think this man is a scumbag and a theif, please get off of your ass go out, get drunk and make some bad choices. You will come back with
some funny storys, because thats how i look at this kid's story, it is a funny one.


alright i cant remember where i was going with that anymore(adhd)
so ending thoughts:
1.Do not go to retail stores, go online
2. 6800 kid, not a scumbag, but a hero
 
Nuzzles said:
Sorry, but this has to be said. You're 15 and you have a fucking FX 55?!?!
When I was 14 I got jobs under the table. You bring in money fast when you dont have to pay bills. But once you move out or get bills the sh*t hits the fan.
 
i was; however, the ONLY person they had EVER interviewed that knew you could put 4 devices on 2 IDE channels


Nah, there's 2 plugs per cord for no f'ing reason...you aren't serious right?
 
Phranq said:
Nah, there's 2 plugs per cord for no f'ing reason...you aren't serious right?
dead. fucking. serious.

my jaw almost dropped when he told me that. he said most people said "uh... two.... maybe 3... i dunno..."
 
this is typical. some people order stuff without a "gameplan" and end up at the mercy of salesmen who have no mercy.

when i was at dell i'd actually talk customer's out of this kind of shit all the time (i just don't have the heart for hardcore sales). they'd call back in reference to previous quotes they setup, including crap like a $3000 XPS laptop for their daughter to take notes in classes and do word processing with, or $500 video card upgrades cuz they were told they needed it to watch dvd's. but yah, give the right customer to the right saleman and they will get assraped almost everytime.
 
Your local retail stores sell, for the most part thousands of items. Bestbuy and CC have among other things, TV,CDs,MP3 players....you get the picture. I wouldnt want to pick up even 1 days interest on the inventory in one of those places.... its enormous. They cant sell or stock top shelf stuff....average buyers cant afford it nor do they understand it. It must be kind of hard to know a little about all those things??? They cant afford to pay people what they're worth IF they know something.... they'd go broke. How frustrating it must be to know something and work for one of those large chains.... the stupid things people do and say would just make you insane. Unfortunately, BB and CC bank on people NOT doing their homework before they come in....so STUPID is as STUPID does, Forrest. (didnt your mother tell you anything???? You get what you pay for.)
I like my local BB for a couple reasons though.... you can go online and check the inventory before you leave the house, they do have some things you want and you dont have to wait for it to be shipped and risk damage.
Are they completely knowlegable and honest....probably not. Do they try to sell too much stuff....yes. Do they have THE best stuff on earth....sometimes but not most times.
Should your friend have done his homework....yes.
Did that guy who returned the Ti4600 to CC instead of the 6800GT cheat the system....yes. Was he dishonest....yes. Does he have a conscience....I dont know. :rolleyes:
 
tshontikidis said:
2. 6800 kid, not a scumbag, but a hero
Dude, I've worked in retail for 11 years, and you're exactly the kind of customer I keep my eye on and follow around the store. WTF, dude?

My last job title was Purchasing Manager at a musical instrument store. I bought everything for the store and set all the prices. I dealt with all RMAs of defective items, as well. Fortunately, I'm not some idiot that would let things like that pass. You pull something like that, *I* check it out, and then the county courthouse would be sending you some nice letters asking you to appear in court. Yes, I've done that. Yeah, I'm *THAT* prick. But you know what? You're *THAT* prick that screwing honest people out of money by being a complete douchebag and committing an act of theft. You know what people like you do? Cut the profit margin of the store a lot more than you realize, causing prices to go up to make up for the losses incurred by you theft.

So... Next time you bitch about prices being so high, go look in the mirror. Maybe bang your head against it a few times to maybe jar your conscience into working order.
 
pArTy said:
When I was 14 I got jobs under the table. You bring in money fast when you dont have to pay bills. But once you move out or get bills the sh*t hits the fan.

-sigh- I wish I had jobs under the table. Oh well, start of next year I'm old enough to get a job. Then I'll save, buy a new system, and quit
:cool:
 
It's like buying a seventeen inch screen laptop. If only they made a portable computer...
 
Reading the first post of this thread reminds me of when I was at BB a few months ago. I was walking past this sales person and he just kept going on and on how Intel is the best processor that you can buy. The customers that he was talking to had asked him about AMD and he just started bad mouthing the crap out of them. Some of these guys who work in sales positions at stores like that don't even deserve to be there. A lot of them are pretty retarded and all they care about is getting the sale or not. A majority of them could careless what the customer is looking for and what would better suit their needs.
 
GilmourD said:
Dude, I've worked in retail for 11 years, and you're exactly the kind of customer I keep my eye on and follow around the store. WTF, dude?

My last job title was Purchasing Manager at a musical instrument store. I bought everything for the store and set all the prices. I dealt with all RMAs of defective items, as well. Fortunately, I'm not some idiot that would let things like that pass. You pull something like that, *I* check it out, and then the county courthouse would be sending you some nice letters asking you to appear in court. Yes, I've done that. Yeah, I'm *THAT* prick. But you know what? You're *THAT* prick that screwing honest people out of money by being a complete douchebag and committing an act of theft. You know what people like you do? Cut the profit margin of the store a lot more than you realize, causing prices to go up to make up for the losses incurred by you theft.

So... Next time you bitch about prices being so high, go look in the mirror. Maybe bang your head against it a few times to maybe jar your conscience into working order.

Taking advantage of the system that lets you return items. Ain't it great! :)

People do it more than you think, and like.
 
GilmourD said:
Dude, I've worked in retail for 11 years, and you're exactly the kind of customer I keep my eye on and follow around the store. WTF, dude?

My last job title was Purchasing Manager at a musical instrument store. I bought everything for the store and set all the prices. I dealt with all RMAs of defective items, as well. Fortunately, I'm not some idiot that would let things like that pass. You pull something like that, *I* check it out, and then the county courthouse would be sending you some nice letters asking you to appear in court. Yes, I've done that. Yeah, I'm *THAT* prick. But you know what? You're *THAT* prick that screwing honest people out of money by being a complete douchebag and committing an act of theft. You know what people like you do? Cut the profit margin of the store a lot more than you realize, causing prices to go up to make up for the losses incurred by you theft.

So... Next time you bitch about prices being so high, go look in the mirror. Maybe bang your head against it a few times to maybe jar your conscience into working order.


Thats really good that you are smart enough to realize when you were getting ripped off and that is how it should be. If it were you at the desk then I do not think this kid would have done it and if he did then he deserved to get caught. if the girl caught him I too think he should be charged or what ever because he was caught, but he wasnt. So enough with the asterik quotes and get over it, no one is honest, anyone will do anything to get something they want.
O, I never bitch about prices beeing high, I go to newegg.
 
synergyo1 said:
Maybe s/he has a girlfriend, wife, a female friend or is a female herself? :)


Haha, yeah some of us do have other women in our lives besides mom. ;)
 
Kaiga said:
I challenged one of the people in the Geek squad at best buy. seems that even the geek squad people aren't even that smart. some of them probably passed their tests by chance because damn he tried to sell my sister a piece of shart HP and he said that the intergrated graphics were top of the line and he says it like this "these intergrated graphics are top of the line in graphics processing. it will be able to run all the latest games and software, and without any lag." I look on the back of the PC and BAM COLD X I tell him "well, this doesn't have integrated graphics buddy, and it only has 256Megs of RAM, and you're telling me she can run Doom 3 on this thing? I'm sorry but no, I think you're BSing my sister here." (even IF you turn down quality on everything, it will still freakin' lag.) I go check through device manager and everything, it had a 32MB video card. I think this guy was only trying to make a sale. so he BS'd my sister. she is lucky I came to the back of the store to meet with her.

I think stores are always trying to rip you off and the salesmen have no idea whats going on cause these days they'll hire rednecks even.

now there was another time I was at BestBuy with my friend and we were observing one of these geek squad guys messing with a customer's PC, and the customers were standing there impatiently waiting on him. He was trying to install a video card. I'm thinking this guy probably faked his A+. he stood there for a while rebooting the PC over and over keeps on switching the monitor cable, looking through device manager probably wondering why nothings working. what gets worse for this guy is that the store manager is standing there trying to help. the customers are looking a bit PO'd cause they have been there for a while. I went and paid for my stuff and on the wayt out I walk up to him and say:"hey, you need to disable onboard and switch to AGP." and what happens next is unbelieveable. OMFG he asks me "how? in device manager?" my friend and I were ROFLing at this guy. I can't believe they hired someone into the geek squad that can't even do this sort of thing. I say "no, you have to go into the BIOS and do it." I walk out and I bet that manager is prolly going to /ban his ass cause he did not seem to know what he was doing.


I KNOW why Bestlie err bestbuy is so bad i tryed getting a job there turns out thay didnt even GET MY AP the damn computer filtered it based on the GOD DAMN PERSONALTY TEST WTF i have more then skills needed to work at one

so i go in and ask why i didnt get a call back when thay were hireing and thay siad "well may be this isnt the job for you" im like WTF i have 10+ years working with PCs i have worked sales be for and have a few certs

no wonder the ppl there dont know JACK SHIT unless you fit there "profile" thay dont even LOOK at the rest of the ap
 
Unknown-One said:
Man, I’m so going to apply for a job on the geek squad, I might actually be able to help someone :p


GOOD FUCKING LUCK if you can pass the personalty test tell me what your anwsers were >.> i have aplyed 5 times it the system drops it there it ever gets to the store
 
Reading the first post, I will agree that retail stores suck big time. In Aus we have a huge retail chain called Harvey Norman - nicknamed 'Hardly Normal', cause, well, they suck. They don't know what is good, how to repair computers, you name it they probably don't know it. lol.

But, I have to put in a word for the local computer shop. I mean, the guys that work there do know stuff about computers, and if they're anything like me they'll give their honest opinion on parts, generally can easily repair computers, and do generally everything the big chains can't.

And hey, if you know something about computers, looking for work and don't want to work at a big chain, then try to get a job at a local computer shop. If they're good, their mind-set will be similar to yours. And then you can pass the nerdy love on to people who think a 6800 is 'slightly better' than a 6200...
 
N_Raged said:
Regarding VAIO computers, anyone remember their ads saying that they were "liquid cooled"? Us [H]'ers would naturally assume that by "liquid cooling", those computers must have some kind of water cooling setup with the reservoirs, blocks, and whatnot. But if I remember correctly the CPUs just had a heatsink with heatpipes that shared airflow with the PSU.

You remembered right. Thats all they have are them heatpipes heading up to the top half of the tower(higher end models with spit towers). Claims sorta like the new Zalman9500 comming out, with its "comparable to water cooling" deal. But they are not lying about the Zalman. Our Marketing director just lost his "highend" vaio to some power surges at home and I got to gut the thing to get a good laugh out of it.

It doesn't share a fan with the PSU though. It pipes up to its own chamber with a dedicated 120mm fan .
 
you know im startting to think that hire ppl not on skill at all and becouse thay fit there "profile" which includes a lack of any usefull PC skills

its like thay DONT want skilled ppl working there
 
tshontikidis said:
Everyone is complaning about bestbuy, compusa, and other retailers. Bottomline, people that know computers and actually have technical knowledge are not going to work there, they will get real jobs. I do not know why everyone is so f@$%ing surprised and if you know computers you wont go to these stores because we all know they overprice, so stop complaning and go to newegg, pricewatch and ebay.

Also for the kid who took back is old vid card for the 6800, congrats to him for making some money and overcoming the system. If you can get away for something so petty because of peoples idiocy, do it, if anything it helped out circutcity by realizing there is a problem and that they need to fix it. All of you people calling him a thief and that he is a horrible person, go back and cry to jesus or who ever you worship and shutup you babies. I mean he saw a flaw in the system and knew how he could take advantage of it and you know what, thats what we as humans do, we do what ever we can to make it. Who ever thinks he is a horrible person, did you have a childhood, did you not do some daring things in your lives. If you havent and think this man is a scumbag and a theif, please get off of your ass go out, get drunk and make some bad choices. You will come back with
some funny storys, because thats how i look at this kid's story, it is a funny one.


alright i cant remember where i was going with that anymore(adhd)
so ending thoughts:
1.Do not go to retail stores, go online
2. 6800 kid, not a scumbag, but a hero

You're a scumbag just like that kid. Flaw in the system?? Umm, try again. Putting an older video card into a new box and returning it is not a flaw in the system, it is called thievery. Going up to a counter and purchasing a 300 dollar video card and have it ring up as 220 is a flaw in the system. That's something to be taken advantage of. Get your facts straight.

It's a issue of morality. So what your saying it's perfectly fine to rip people, or companies off if they're not paying attention.

You walk into a bank and deposit money in your savings account. What you fail to realize is that they put on your statement less than what you actually have. So if a bank makes a blatant mistake on your bank statement and if you're not paying attention, too bad??? :rolleyes:

It's a issue of morality here. Something you obviously do not have as well.
 
this is all pretty interesting....
in a summer or two I was thinkin about getting a job at a bb. That is...if their computers work...;)

by the way: I'm in my cad class right now...sub teacher
 
Elios said:
GOOD FUCKING LUCK if you can pass the personalty test tell me what your anwsers were >.> i have aplyed 5 times it the system drops it there it ever gets to the store

is it one of those automated tests you do over the phone? in my experience it doesn't really matter what you answer, it's mostly based on the tone of your voice. first time i took one i was just like whatever cuz it was a recording, but even though i answered all the questions "right", it said i should try back at a later date. i was like wtf, i know they're hiring...

so i called back and tried talking like Slick Willy the Car Salesman to this fucking recording and sure enough my app was processed and i got a call back for an interview.
 
Elios said:
you know im startting to think that hire ppl not on skill at all and becouse thay fit there "profile" which includes a lack of any usefull PC skills

its like thay DONT want skilled ppl working there

which isn't that strange actually. it's a lot easier to dupe a customer when you honestly don't know wtf is going on.

an experienced computer guy will know that 90% of the time you're bs'ing the customer, and unless he's a complete asswipe it'll be harder for him to milk them for all they are worth.
 
I did that swap thing with walmart long long ago. I had one of the early logitech mouseman usb (still with ball) and it died. I think I had it for maybe 3-4months and it stopped worked completely. I didn't have my receipt anymore and for somereason even though I've hard alot of ppl don't need their walmart receipt to return stuff they didn't let me.

At 13-14yrs old oer whatever I was, before driving age that was kinda an expensive mouse to me, hehe. So I bought another, the exact same model because I really liked the shape of the mouse and returned the old in the new box with the new receipt. I felt shitty and guilty afterwards :(
 
GET MY AP the damn computer filtered it based on the GOD DAMN PERSONALTY TEST WTF

Yah, who has filled out Best Buy's application...wtf? The thing is a personality test, I was expecting it to tell me what kind of Star Wars character I was when it was done or something. This questions was the best on there "Does it make you angry when guilty criminals go free?"


....Wait a minute, how do I know if they're guilty or not?
 
Menelmarar said:
I did that swap thing with walmart long long ago. I had one of the early logitech mouseman usb (still with ball) and it died. I think I had it for maybe 3-4months and it stopped worked completely. I didn't have my receipt anymore and for somereason even though I've hard alot of ppl don't need their walmart receipt to return stuff they didn't let me.

At 13-14yrs old oer whatever I was, before driving age that was kinda an expensive mouse to me, hehe. So I bought another, the exact same model because I really liked the shape of the mouse and returned the old in the new box with the new receipt. I felt shitty and guilty afterwards :(


Why? Up until HMV changed their return policy I would buy music cd's and copy the living shit out of them to sell at school. Thank god p2p got so big after they changed their policy. And I've done this multiple times to many companies when a fx5200 broke down I bought another of the same model and changed the stickers, since the store didn't have a refund I exchanged it for a 50pack of CDr's. All these times at large stores that don't know what they are doing. It's the companies fault, big deal.
 
To all the morally ambigous people out there: Stealing from a retail store is not the best idea. Sure, you may not get caught, and may get a brand new video card cheap, but what if you get caught? I see people walking out of my store in handcuffs at least on a weekly basis. The thing about stealing is that if you continue to do it, you WILL eventually get caught. And that new high end video card will end up being a felony charge on your record.

Furthermore, if you want a video card that bad, put in a few hours overtime where you work or mow some lawns and buy it yourself. Better to work 20 hours to pay for the card (and have a feeling of accomplishment), than to spend 6 months in jail paying for it after you stole it. Oh, and try getting a job after you've got a felony charge on your record.

Astaroth
 
Astaroth125 said:
To all the morally ambigous people out there: Stealing from a retail store is not the best idea. Sure, you may not get caught, and may get a brand new video card cheap, but what if you get caught? I see people walking out of my store in handcuffs at least on a weekly basis. The thing about stealing is that if you continue to do it, you WILL eventually get caught. And that new high end video card will end up being a felony charge on your record.

Furthermore, if you want a video card that bad, put in a few hours overtime where you work or mow some lawns and buy it yourself. Better to work 20 hours to pay for the card (and have a feeling of accomplishment), than to spend 6 months in jail paying for it after you stole it. Oh, and try getting a job after you've got a felony charge on your record.

Astaroth
man where the hell do you live that you see people in cuffs in stores on a weekly basis? ill make sure to put that place on my "Dont ever pass through, move in, sight see" list

soulsaver_8229
 
Phranq said:
Yah, who has filled out Best Buy's application...wtf? The thing is a personality test, I was expecting it to tell me what kind of Star Wars character I was when it was done or something. This questions was the best on there "Does it make you angry when guilty criminals go free?"


....Wait a minute, how do I know if they're guilty or not?


and the choice of anwsers is just as bad what if you realy dont care about the question
i dont thing stuff like that should be legal >.>
 
pArTy said:
Computer stop is pretty good. I bought my first gaming computer there and I told them to give me whatever 700$ could get me at top notch as possible. They did a pretty dam good job and my dad uses them to buy his computers. I usaly recommand a person to find someone who can build computers(like me) and if they dont want/know anyone who can build a computer I recommand them to computer stop. I talked to the techs at computer stop all the time and they know what there talking about. Since than i have build 3 computers. Its fun and cheap :D

Dell, Gateway, and Alienware are the biggest rip offs ever.
My step dad bought a 2 grand computer and right after he did I spend 1 grand and built a computer that was cheaper and beter. Dell and Gateway use OEM parts also witch I find a big no no since they are usaly downgraded and run like shit or break after a short time.


lol you need to learn what an oem part is.
 
soulsaver_8229 said:
man where the hell do you live that you see people in cuffs in stores on a weekly basis? ill make sure to put that place on my "Dont ever pass through, move in, sight see" list

soulsaver_8229

are you kidding? every store on planet earth gets at least one shoplifter a day. and when you get caught and the cops are called you go down to the station in handcuffs, misdemeanor or not.
 
soulsaver_8229 said:
man where the hell do you live that you see people in cuffs in stores on a weekly basis? ill make sure to put that place on my "Dont ever pass through, move in, sight see" list

Working retail does that to you. And, stealing more than $200 is a felony in VA, so a lot of people are arrested for felony charges.

Astaroth
 
sparky1_2007 said:
some people are just so stupid it just amazes me...

Although this may be true, that's not a very good attitude in my opinion. They are just trying to do their job by helping you. You can just say "no thanks" and be on your way, but saying what you said isn't necessary. It's just a job for them, and I think if a customer is letting a salesperson persuade them into buying a bad product for alot of money, it's the customer's fault. Do your homework
 
Astaroth125 said:
To all the morally ambigous people out there: Stealing from a retail store is not the best idea. Sure, you may not get caught, and may get a brand new video card cheap, but what if you get caught? I see people walking out of my store in handcuffs at least on a weekly basis. The thing about stealing is that if you continue to do it, you WILL eventually get caught. And that new high end video card will end up being a felony charge on your record.

Furthermore, if you want a video card that bad, put in a few hours overtime where you work or mow some lawns and buy it yourself. Better to work 20 hours to pay for the card (and have a feeling of accomplishment), than to spend 6 months in jail paying for it after you stole it. Oh, and try getting a job after you've got a felony charge on your record.

Astaroth

lets see 20hrs at $10/hr(what i get) = not enough for a high end card
:p
 
Astaroth125 said:
Working retail does that to you. And, stealing more than $200 is a felony in VA, so a lot of people are arrested for felony charges.

Astaroth
well paint me pink and called me sheltered for life! :eek:


i work at a grocery store as a meat cutter.........people steal ribeyes all the time, stuff em in their pants and crap, but never seen any go to jail or get arrested on spot :p

soulsaver_8229
 
Yeah my wife works in retail and she can count on her hand the number of times people have been arrested for shoplifting. Not that noone steals from her store they just don't get caught.
 
Back
Top