Better Heatsinks for cooling Ram chips on a 7800 GTX?

Q-Ball23

Limp Gawd
Hi, I got 2 BFG 7800 GTX's in SLI. My card looks just like this with the stock cooler off. As you can't see, the other half of the ram chips are on the back of the card.

7800gtxbare0cq.jpg

I am about to buy the Swiftech MCW60 GPU blocks to cool them. Now, my main concern is, What heatsinks should I use to cool the ram chips? I currently have a unuesed set of 8 heatsinks. You can find these at http://www.frozencpu.com/ram-19.html

bigheatsinks2qk.jpg

But I am wonder if the new Swiftech heatsinks would be a better choice with their new pin design? You can find these here http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MC14.asp

swiftechheatsink0yt.gif

Any Idea's? Personally the FrozenCPU heatsinks are huge, but does the new Pin design help the new swiftech heatsinks that much?

hotlinking images is not allowed. Even if you give credit for the images. FYI.

Performance wise, I doubt there is that much difference between the two to get worried about...the only foreseeable problem I can detect is bending the fins on the heatsinks so your tubes can enter and exit the block...it might be easier with swiftech sinks...

magnetik said:
hotlinking images is not allowed. Even if you give credit for the images. FYI.

Thanks for your help. Cost me an extra 5 min of work. :rolleyes:

Rudager said:
Performance wise, I doubt there is that much difference between the two to get worried about...the only foreseeable problem I can detect is bending the fins on the heatsinks so your tubes can enter and exit the block...it might be easier with swiftech sinks...

Ah yes, good call about the tubing! They were really tight when I used another set on my ATI X800 Pro Vivo flashed to XT PE. I should also note I have 2x120mm Panaflow Ultra's blowing over the cards that are attatched to the side of my case panel/window.

I used the OCZ ones from newegg.... They don't even get warm with a fan blowing on them. Get some thermal glue tho as that tape they come with isn't very good.

Stevemr2t said:
I used the OCZ ones from newegg.... They don't even get warm with a fan blowing on them. Get some thermal glue tho as that tape they come with isn't very good.

Yeah the tape isnt that great. Espcailly if your not on BTX, and some of the heatsinks fall to the bottom of the case. :mad: First I will try the thermal tape and see it goes. I have AS epoxy if I need it. I just wont touch the heatsinks after I put them on. :p

Q-Ball23 said:
Yeah the tape isnt that great. Espcailly if your not on BTX, and some of the heatsinks fall to the bottom of the case. :mad: First I will try the thermal tape and see it goes. I have AS epoxy if I need it. I just wont touch the heatsinks after I put them on. :p

I would skip the thermal tape... Once that BGA memory get's warm it will become loose. I had some on a video card once that just fell off after a while. I opened up my computer and to my dismay.. they were at the bottom of my case. Luckily the video was the only card I had in there at the time. I used AS thermal epoxy instead after that. The only negative is that you can't remove them even if you wanted too.

magnetik said:
I would skip the thermal tape... Once that BGA memory get's warm it will become loose. I had some on a video card once that just fell off after a while. I opened up my computer and to my dismay.. they were at the bottom of my case. Luckily the video was the only card I had in there at the time. I used AS thermal epoxy instead after that. The only negative is that you can't remove them even if you wanted too.

:p I have removed them for warrenty purposes. The only problem was it took the ram chips off with it :eek:

Anyways, what I do now is just dab AS epoxy on the corners of the ram chip, and put AS Ceramique everywhere else. Just incase you need to take off those heatsinks :)

get the new swiftech pin sinks and as far as i know they can come packaged with the new waterblocks you want anyways so i say its a goo deal. if you wanna use those old frozen cpu ones, you cna use em on the back or supn...

i love the new swiftie heatsinks i think they are fantastic

el rolio said:
get the new swiftech pin sinks and as far as i know they can come packaged with the new waterblocks you want anyways so i say its a goo deal. if you wanna use those old frozen cpu ones, you cna use em on the back or supn...

i love the new swiftie heatsinks i think they are fantastic

Yeah they do look nice. Now i am just waiting on Frozencpu.com to get them back instock and get the MCW60's in stock :p

just use a mix of AS epoxy and some ceramic(about 33/66). transfers heat and still removable

Here is what i did for my GT

SwiftechBGA.jpg

I would suggest bendinding all 3 not 2 and cut one like I did on the first sink, I though about bending them after I had cut them off, Can't really see it anyways but I'm a perfectionist.

7800GT.jpg

I did have to epoxy the sinks on, I use 1/3rd ceramique and 2/3 AS Epoxy

I don't think you will notice much of a difference with any BGA sinks...I got the swiftechs cause they look better and have a better design IMO, over the years I have noticed finned HS can collect more dust and lose performance faster, plus the pin design allows them to recieve airflow in any direction. But again I doubt you will notice a difference OC wise with any HS you select.........

Swiftechs are $20 at SVC

That is awesome. I know that other swiftech HSF for your cpu, The pins would snap on them so easily. I guess these heatsinks are built strong!

I would not worry much about them snapping, I did not use heat or anything to make the bend, hell I even tried bending them another direction first, then straightened some of them back out!

Personally, I think that swiftech's older stuff performed better than their newer stuff (based on my observations with 3 different chipset coolers that they had...and 1 resembled the newer bga heatsinks), but it looks like the pins would work better for you.

Back