Bethesda Charging $2.50 For Horse Armor?

Erasmus354 said:
Microsoft is probably making a very small profit margin by charging bandwidth fees. Who knows they might not even charge for bandwidth fees since they want Xbox Live to be a success. Do you really expect Bethesda to set the price for the Horse Armor at 159 points ($1.99)? Most everything on XBL has been 200,400, or 800 points, with some picture packs going for 50-100.
It's just my assumption and it may be wrong, but who knows. Bathesta could just round it of the price to be more friendly with points which you spent on XBL instead of real cash. I just hope Bathesta will come out with some kind of statement explaining all this crap.

As sad as this is, I bet a lot of people will throw down the cash for the skin. An rpg is all about gaining power and pimping out your character with cool stuff.

It would be great if people would vote with their wallets and squash this kinda of robbery but I don't think that will happen.

I won't be buying the armor.

Am I the only that think this is no big deal? If you want it, get it, if not, then shut up and don't get it! :rolleyes: I think everyone expects too much. You can't act all "well, they need us, yada yada" because some people here would *literally* die or something if videogames suddenly came to an end. I think people are bitching too much about it.

It costs to make things. Therefore, IT COSTS!

i think a bigger question is how do they stop the PC people from hosting it up somewhere? i doubt there's copy protection on what is probably an .esp file. if it comes in a passworded extractor, thats easy to get around. I really dont understand their logic on this one.

Like posted above complaining is a bit silly, you dont have to buy it. I thought this was the entire point of the market place. A easy way for you to fork over money for small bits of entertainment. :p

Im sure oblivian cost a ton of money to make so they are just tryin to re-coop some.

lesman said:
Am I the only that think this is no big deal? If you want it, get it, if not, then shut up and don't get it! :rolleyes: I think everyone expects too much. You can't act all "well, they need us, yada yada" because some people here would *literally* die or something if videogames suddenly came to an end. I think people are bitching too much about it.

The BIG DEAL is that I have already paid the cost for the game. I have paid my share of the development costs, so why do I have to pay again for content the developer created, with my money, and decided to not include in the game that shipped to stores. They didn't ask me if the should include it or not. Sure it's a stupid skin for a horse, this time.

It's the precident that this makes that is the Big Deal. What *if* this leads to content that must be purchased separately to play character classes in a game, or purchase the abilty to save a game! Or you have to buy the colour blue.

I think I may start developing software and selling it piecemeal, lots of money to be made in this:D

ArrogantWorm said:
The BIG DEAL is that I have already paid the cost for the game. I have paid my share of the development costs, so why do I have to pay again for content the developer created, with my money, and decided to not include in the game that shipped to stores. They didn't ask me if the should include it or not. Sure it's a stupid skin for a horse, this time.

It's the precident that this makes that is the Big Deal. What *if* this leads to content that must be purchased separately to play character classes in a game, or purchase the abilty to save a game! Or you have to buy the colour blue.

I think I may start developing software and selling it piecemeal, lots of money to be made in this:D
Yeah, sure, it's your opinion, but it doesn't exactly work that way. ;)

They create the extra content to make money, and, of course, to keep us entertained. And it costs MONEY. Something that doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

HydroSqueegee said:
i think a bigger question is how do they stop the PC people from hosting it up somewhere? i doubt there's copy protection on what is probably an .esp file. if it comes in a passworded extractor, thats easy to get around. I really dont understand their logic on this one.

It may be more complex than that, but even if it isn't, it's probably enough to keep the honest people honest. We all know that locks on most everyone's front door are easy to get around, so why aren't more houses broken into? Because most people aren't thieves. People who want to get around it will always find a way. Why do we always seem to expect that every new system will be fool-proof, and in the same breath criticize them for even trying because we know it won't be?

lesman said:

it is a big deal. Its the start of things to come. just because you won't buy it, dosen't make it any less of a big deal... Just because you play GTA and dont go on a killing spree in your neighborhood, dosent make all those lawsuits against the video game industry any less of a big deal. This "horse armor" deal is a slap in the face to all gamers, and a rip off for those who buy it (idiots!). Also did you know this "armor" was in screen shots long before the game was even released? So why 2 weeks later is it for sale on live, and not in the retail game to begin with?

What if next generation consoles were free, and games were free too, but you had to pay $15 for every hour the console is on... would you be cool with that? I would bet money theres a team of people somewhere thinking this very thing right now... "If internet cafe's can do it, so can we!". The point is, consumers can't let companys rip them off like this or else there will be no end to it, and the problem is, consumers can't seem to stand together to save their lives.

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere for a while, but wasn't one of the REQUIREMENTS for making an XBOX360 title that the developer provide additional content such as this?

I personally have no problem with this, as none of the addons are essential for the game and I am not really loosing out to anything by not purchasing them. I may or may not purchase some of the later addons depending on if they seem like they are worth the cost of a cup of coffee, I do not have a problem with paying for value added content.

Cheers

xbox live marketplace is a cash cow, even indy developers with games like marble blast and geo-wars are making ms and the devs a lot of money.. those same games on the pc even selling for the same amount would NOT make the same profits they are now due to xbox live arcade.. so since they know they can get away with it, they will do it, and they will continue to make loads of cash on it.. next thing you know you can't fart, sneeze, or cough while playing a xbox game without being deducted 1,000 gamerpoints :D

In the end if you don't like what they are doing on XBL don't invest in it, spend your hard earned money on PC games and PC hardware so you can download FREE mods and FREE content made by the hard working community.

ROFLMFAO!!!

....poor poor xbox users... :D

I GUARANTEE this will be a free mod for PC users, either official or user made.

JSC450 said:
it is a big deal. Its the start of things to come. just because you won't buy it, dosen't make it any less of a big deal... Just because you play GTA and dont go on a killing spree in your neighborhood, dosent make all those lawsuits against the video game industry any less of a big deal. This "horse armor" deal is a slap in the face to all gamers, and a rip off for those who buy it (idiots!). Also did you know this "armor" was in screen shots long before the game was even released? So why 2 weeks later is it for sale on live, and not in the retail game to begin with?

What if next generation consoles were free, and games were free too, but you had to pay $15 for every hour the console is on... would you be cool with that? I would bet money theres a team of people somewhere thinking this very thing right now... "If internet cafe's can do it, so can we!". The point is, consumers can't let companys rip them off like this or else there will be no end to it, and the problem is, consumers can't seem to stand together to save their lives.
It's only a big deal when people make it one. It's simple. Buy it. Don''t buy it. YOU make the choice. If you DON'T buy it, they WON'T sell it. Plain and simple.

Developers can sell it and sell it all they want, but when they realize they are losing money by selling things people don't buy, then they'll back off. I want additional content. This game is already HUGE, and there is obviously some things that they can' fit in there or would like to release later. Sure, in this example it's a piddly little horse armor pack. BIG DAMN DEAL! If you don't want it then DONT buy it! :rolleyes:

jdparsons said:
Consider it a marketing test... then consider this:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70573-0.html?tw=rss.index

<shudders>

All this is interesting. I assume most people have cel phones. How many of you have purchased a custom ring tone? Or paid to text message. This is very much the same thing. You pay $50 bucks a month for cel service but don't get free ring tones or unlimited testing. (It is an option for a fee.)

This is the same. You payed for the game which you can play to completion without spending any additional money. BUT they are offering extras for a small fee.

Just offering a different way to think about it.

BTW I don't pay for ring tones. Verizon can kiss my a$$ if they think I am paying 3 bucks for a custom ring tone.

we'll talk again when they charge big money for bug fixes disguised as a "Quest pack"

As far as I'm concerned they can offer anything they want to us on the XBL marketplace. There have been other pay for play enhancements. Where were you guys who are so against this concept when it cost to put Kameo in a cute little santa suit?

Oh, so it's only big deal when its your game? This concept isn't something that just showed up with Oblivion, it's been talked about since the consoles marketplace was conceptualized. I personally love being able to buy cheap pick up and play titles over it, and one of these days I'm sure there will be something cool I want to buy that adds value in my eyes to a game I paid 60 bucks for.

This is just a poor implementation of the concept, and everyone who said vote with your wallet is right. Don't like an add-on, don't buy it. Or send well-written, well-thoughtout letters or emails to the developers or to MS stating that you think the price is too high, or that the content was previously shown in screen shots so why is it just now being brought to us as at an additional cost?

There are plenty of avenues to get your voices heard, you just have to use them. The biggest showing will be when noone downloads that add-on.

Steve said:
Not surprising, everyone that just ran out and plopped down $59.99 for Oblivion is not happy that the first real downloadable content for the game is horse armor for $2.50, which is half the price of some full games on Xbox Live. Does this seem odd to anyone else or is it just me?

Your thoughts?

fuck that shit!

Bethesda created the content, it's up to them to decide how much they charge for it. Now if they were suddenly taking away an already playable player class and charging to get it back, you'd have a valid complaint. This additional "horse armor" is an Optional add-on to the game content...emphasis on optional.

The fact that screenshots of it were in play before the game was released has nothing to do with the fact that it wasn't released with the game, and so is still optonal add-on content. Say someone designs a custom computer case and displays it with all sorts of custom decals, then markets the case without the decals. Does that mean that later when he/she decides to sell said decals that they should be free because they were designed at the same time as the case?

It's Bethesda's choice to make it....it's Bethesda's choice how to market it....it's Bethesda's choice how much to charge for it....

It's your choice whether to shell out $2.50 for it or not....it's your choice whether to illegally get the software from someone else or not...

As stated above, simple economics tells us that if no one buys something at one price, the provider will usually lower the price or stop providing the product.

What you guys are talking about is called a 'micropayment'. This is the new idea for generating profit from internet enabled applications/games.

If you're interested, read this wired article: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70573-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

or google the term to learn more.

Microsoft suggested this even before the 360 came out. They intend the micropayment system will be a major cash cow for the 360 since the games/hardware don't bring in as much profit as they'd like. So in the future, you'll likely see lots of little game improvements, graphics, avatars, music, etc. etc. etc. for sale for a few cents and up to a few dollars.

And you'll definitely see this pop up in other systems, PC games, and even PC applications shortly. Don't be surprised if, In a few years, logging onto Hardforum is free, but having a 3D avatar might cost you $.25, access to Genmay might be $.01/day, and having a thread in FS/FT costs another nickle.

It's the new way of making money off the internet.

Big deal! It's not that the horse armor is a requirement to play the game. It's just something extra. People are expecting way too much these days. I'm remember back in the day, all you got was a stick and no ball. :D

Wolf-R1 said:
I have to admit tho that I'm confused...I keep seeing where you can spend $2.50 or 200 points for this crap. What's the difference?

The difference is that spending 200 points makes it seem less likes spending real money...it's just points afterall. ;)

It's also a way of simplifying the pricing for a world-wide audience that uses multiple currencies. It doesn't matter if you are in Japan, Los Angeles, London, or Frankfurt, an item that costs 200 points in one place will cost 200 points everywhere else. The differences in exchange rates and taxes are account for when you purchase the points.

K600 said:
Exactly. This isn't "M$" ( :rolleyes: ). Bethesda will be trying this shit with PC users too.

NOPE. all user created content and mods are FREE on the pc version, which is why it is better to have the pc version. (360 are suckers!haha!)

BlackDragon323 said:
NOPE. all user created content and mods are FREE on the pc version, which is why it is better to have the pc version. (360 are suckers!haha!)

So first off, we aren't talking about "user created content and mods", we are talking about the Bethesda created content. And secondly it is also available for the PC, and also costs money.

I wouldn't pay $2.50 for horse armor. What I would pay $2.50 for is a long quest and some new dungeons that result in some uber armor.

Yes, I wouldn't pay for this either. I can see paying for new levels and quests and stuff, but I would never pay for cosmetic changes like horse armour. It should be a quarter at most.

BlackDragon323 said:
Yeah, and we don't support bullshit bias here, so enough with the "Xbox 360 suckers" bullshit, before it gets reported. :)

It's probably already been posted but...

Why raise a stink? This is why:
How long until you have to pay to unlock weapons, spells, items, whatever. Or buying a game that is crippled and you have to pay to enable all of the features. Last I checked - crippled games were demos - FREE demos. This is just wrong on so many levels - imo.

*edit*
Obviously the above is a worst case scenario mixed with a bit of paranoia. But so many large corporations (EA) love to milk it for all it's worth and then some. How far will it go? It truly concerns me.

expect to find the "official" bethesda PC content to be widely found on the web for free in 5..4..3..2..

elation said:

How long until you have to pay to unlock weapons, spells, items, whatever. Or buying a game that is crippled and you have to pay to enable all of the features. Last I checked - crippled games were demos - FREE demos. This is just wrong on so many levels - imo.
Ahem...not to burst your bubble.....but every DEMO that's been released on the marketplace has been, and will continue to be...FREE! ;)

elation said:

How long? I'm guessing never. Why? For exactly the reasons we see here. It's a huge leap to go from paying for optional game content to paying for essential game elements.

lesman said:
Ahem...not to burst your bubble.....but every DEMO that's been released on the marketplace has been, and will continue to be...FREE! ;)

How I do love optimists... I hope you're right. ;)

JethroXP said:
How long? I'm guessing never. Why? For exactly the reasons we see here. It's a huge leap to go from paying for optional game content to paying for essential game elements.

I suppose I should sum up my thoughts on my post. Basically, they're going to squeeze and squeeze to get every drop of money possible. And that might very well end at optional content. We'll see...

elation said:
How I do love optimists... I hope you're right. ;)

Seriously, have you ever seen a demo on PC or console that you had to pay to play? A demo that you have to pay for stops being a demo, and completely defeats the purpose. What is it that you've seen about Xbox Live that makes you think any major paradigm shift like that would ever take place?

JethroXP said:
Seriously, have you ever seen a demo on PC or console that you had to pay to play? A demo that you have to pay for stops being a demo, and completely defeats the purpose. What is it that you've seen about Xbox Live that makes you think any major paradigm shift like that would ever take place?

The whole demo remark was sarcasm - hopefully my edit helped clarify that.

The other thing is I bet a lot people probably feel a bit cheated. Especially the 360 and CE buyers considering the game just came out and there's already add-ons/extras to buy.

elation said:
The whole demo remark was sarcasm - hopefully my edit helped clarify that.

The other thing is I bet a lot people probably feel a bit cheated. Especially the 360 and CE buyers considering the game just came out and there's already add-ons/extras to buy.

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm :)

Not sure why anyone would feel cheated, the Horse Armor thingy is available for both PC and Xbox360. And I think because it's completely optional no one will feel cheated. It's not like the dropped an expansion pack on everyone a week after the game shipped.

To me, this sort of thing is driven by the same idea behind that pseudo MMO "there". Where they offer all sorts of paid personalization options. Putting a barrier to entry on the items, even a small fee like $2.50 actually helps make the items that are available to everyone seem more unique, therefore making the people who purchased it feel "special". If you aren't into "there" then you aren't likely to understand the attraction of optional horse armor. Admittedly I wouldn't buy it either, but there certainly are people out there for whom this is exciting, and helps make their gaming experience better and more fun, as evidenced by the people who do play "there". So why deny them that? As long as it stays optional, and cosmetic only, it shouldn't have any impact on anyone's gaming experience who chooses not to purchase it.

Back