bestbuy.com has the 4870x2 for $469.99 now

Nope :(. I have 5 computers in this house with PCIX cards 8800GTS+, all with at least 650watts, and not 1 has an 8 pin.

Really shouldn't have to, my PSU is more than powerful enough, has 8 pin power, 4 pin power, tons of sata and molex, 4 PCIX 6 pin. buying a whole new PSU because Visiontek is retarded is not on my top priority list.

Well, when you get it running, it will be worth it. My 8800GTX idled at about 50*C at 100% fan speed. I have the 4870x2 at 40% fan speed and its idling at 45*C. The 8800GTX was louder too, but the 4870 was pumping out oven-like temps before the fan speed fix. Still updating my winblows Vista fresh installation, so I'll be gaming in about 30 minutes.

Forget the fresh installation...I'll worry about a fresh installation later. I'm gonna start playing as soon as it arrives!

Your just going to have to do what I did...order the adapter. You can get the correct 8 pin adapter in the link provided below. It's important that you guys don't mistake the 8 pin motherboard power adapter to the 8 pin pcie adapter. Here is the link. Order it now, sucks to wait even more. :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198016

the 8 pin mb adapter won't even plug into the gpu, so you can't even use it even if you wanted to...just FYI...yes I tried when I had my 280 :D

Interesting...I'll be able to tell you within the next hour or so...ups guy comes a bit late over here

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

:p

Nice :)
good thing it comes with that radeon sticker
it goes perfectly with the card

Thanks guys,

It's actually not a sticker, which is sweet, won't have to worry about it peeling off.

That 280 SSC is a screamer too, runs 750/1566/2300 :)

One thing to make note of, this thing is really freaking heavy-if I had it in a case and not on my tech station I'd be a bit paranoid.

I hear ya Sphere, totally caught me off guard as it is significantly heavier than the 280

I hear ya Sphere, totally caught me off guard as it is significantly heavier than the 280

At least I'm not the only one :)

I truly had no idea it was going to be this heavy, and some of you may think I've exaggerating-I'm not.

haha sphere, just b/c you had to show your pic...I will post this one from my crappy camera phone =P

gpusv3.jpg

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that made the switch haha

:D Bitten by the same bug...very nice.

Hmm, looks like a McDonalds bag to the left-some dipping sauce on the right, that's sounding pretty tasty right about now!

:D Bitten by the same bug...very nice.

Hmm, looks like a McDonalds bag to the left-some dipping sauce on the right, that's sounding pretty tasty right about now!

haha yeah that was healthy dinner that night...double 1/4 w/ cheese & 20 nuggets haha

Just got it in as well. There is no visiontek sticker! yay! So far running solid on my abit ix38 quad gt:)

Mobo's fault. They shouldn't put shit in the way of where video cards sit. Mod time!

yep. Asus has quite a reputation for braindead mobo designs. i've run into this exact problem with them several times in the past. they do the same thing with sata jacks. fwiw, Gigabyte doesn't seem to have this problem.

Got this complete BS response from Visiontek

"We are sorry but there is not 8-pin adapters available. The 2nd 6-pin
adapter will work on the 8-pin power connector on the video card and it
will work properly. The newer power supplies will have the 8-pin power
connector for this video card. The additional 2-pin enables the
Overdrive function on the video card.

Thank you,
Visiontek Tech Support "

A.) we al know an 8 pin adapter is available

B.) I tried 2 real 6 pins (not the adapters) and got the big red letters of not being connected properly when I booted.

My faith in Visiontek is going downhill quickly.

Thank you,
Visiontek Tech Support "

B.) I tried 2 real 6 pins (not the adapters) and got the big red letters of not being connected properly when I booted.

Dude, just bite the bullet and buy a new power supply then sell your old one. I bought a new one because every card here on out will need the 8-pin.

I don't see why everyone was saying this is such a huge video card (size wise) its only an inch longer than my 7900 GTO's (re-badged gtx) were

So far it's running smooth as silk. Was great to have the Release 8.8 drivers available from ATI/AMD when I got home last night :)

ups just delivered it, little disappointed in the packaging from visiontek though.. just loose in the box.. mine looked like it had been previously open as well, the static bag was not neat, looked at though it was opened once before.. plus the box where you open the flap was torn. Sure its fine, I will find out later when I rebuild my pc in the new case and with the new ps that also came.

haha wow, everytime I call ncixus I get the same person for support...The ncixus customer support said they contacted FedEx already and had the customs problems fixed. I told her FedEx said no and I asked her if she was positive, she said yes because she told shopping about the problem and they said they would fix it...Seriously she doesn't even confirm with them...So now I have to wait for all this to get sorted out...

Anyone who ordered from ncixus, did u get yours yet?

I plan to get a new PS, I ordered the adapter for now as I have no REAL reason to upgrade. My system doesn't use near the power my PS offers and it has EVERYTHING else but the 8 pin which a majority of even the newest PS's to not come with until you get into the highend.

It is just frustrating for them to tell me 2 6 pin's will work when clearly it does not.

bummer response, sorry to hear :( and before the best buy release, everyone was praising visiontek's CS

I don't mean to diminish your problem, but if they are saying that it should work with 2x6-pin connectors, and it doesn't, then RMA it. If they keep telling you that its supposed to work and you're unwilling to get a new PSU, then tell them to send you another one. Note: That probably won't solve your problem, but at least they'll grow up about it when you submit for an RMA.

Thank you,
Visiontek Tech Support "

There is a very good reason why Visiontek should be like this. Even though the 6-pin to 8-pin adapters do exist (I use two of them myself), not all 6-pin outputs are created equal. Officially only the 1st and 3rd pins in a 6-pin on a power supply are required to output power. 4 through 6 are all ground. On an 8-pin, 1 through 3 are required to have power. All the rest are ground. On some/many power supplies the 2nd pin in the 6-pin connector is powered and is why the 8-pin adapter works ok.

However, you should be careful when using them. On some power supplies, like the earlier Toughpower series like mine, there are two sets of 6-pin adapters. 2 of them come directly out of the power supply and 2 are modular plugs. The amps for the rail the two modular plugs are on, are a good bit lower than the amps for the ones built into the power supply (18 Amps for the modular, 30 amps for the built in, if I remember right). If you attempt to use an adapter on one of these, well.. bad things might happen.

There is a very good reason why Visiontek should be like this. Even though the 6-pin to 8-pin adapters do exist (I use two of them myself), not all 6-pin outputs are created equal. Officially only the 1st and 3rd pins in a 6-pin on a power supply are required to output power. 4 through 6 are all ground. On an 8-pin, 1 through 3 are required to have power. All the rest are ground. On some/many power supplies the 2nd pin in the 6-pin connector is powered and is why the 8-pin adapter works ok.

However, you should be careful when using them. On some power supplies, like the earlier Toughpower series like mine, there are two sets of 6-pin adapters. 2 of them come directly out of the power supply and 2 are modular plugs. The amps for the rail the two modular plugs are on, are a good bit lower than the amps for the ones built into the power supply (18 Amps for the modular, 30 amps for the built in, if I remember right). If you attempt to use an adapter on one of these, well.. bad things might happen.

wow that's good to know, never knew...

so glad my psu came w/ the connectors or I would be paranoid as hell

I had 3 GTX 280s die on me in a two month time frame. I firmly believe that they died because I was using a 8-pin adapter with my PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750. I replaced my power supply.

I had 3 GTX 280s die on me in a two month time frame. I firmly believe that they died because I was using a 8-pin adapter with my PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750. I replaced my power supply.

good God, 3! sorry to hear, b/c that would bring me to my knees w/ tears...actually 1 would do that, I can't even imagine 3

Oh thanks! Now you make me feel like a fool for buying an adapter that could potentially eat my video card :p

I don't see why everyone was saying this is such a huge video card (size wise)
It's an optical illusion.
The fan being placed near the end of the card makes it appear longer then it's actual 10.5 inches. I think all when they first saw pictures of it thought it longer then it is.

I don't mean to diminish your problem, but if they are saying that it should work with 2x6-pin connectors, and it doesn't, then RMA it. If they keep telling you that its supposed to work and you're unwilling to get a new PSU, then tell them to send you another one. Note: That probably won't solve your problem, but at least they'll grow up about it when you submit for an RMA.

I noticed your post about the fan fix.......I am assuming you used the .XML hack as I did??????

I was over on the AMD forums and two guys said they couldn't get their fan speed increased with the hack, which has worked like a dream for me.:D

Crawlgsx......sorry I was late with the adapter offer. I can't believe VisionTek would not supply the proper adapter in the retail box???? But again, I guess they are betting mot people have a 8 pin on their PSU.....betting the cost of the adapter that is. Maybe if enough people complain to them they'll at least offer one on their website for just shipping or something like that.
I recall BFG did just that with the 9800 series releases.

I noticed your post about the fan fix.......I am assuming you used the .XML hack as I did??????

Yeah, it works great. Took a few tries to get it working. I had to enable Overdrive, create the profile in the manager, then find the profile, edit it, save, then load via profile manager. Its idling at 50C right now since my room is hot. I was worried that with the fan fix, the card wouldn't increase fan speed if needed, but it definitely ramps the rpm's up when it gets too hot. Its hard to get a definite reading as there is no in-game overlay for temperatures, but right after leaving a game I am seeing high 80's for the card. I guess a new case, pump, and waterblock are in my future.

Back