bestbuy.com has the 4870x2 for $469.99 now

your 7900 GTX has a remarkably kick ass fan heat/sink.

re ot: i am so jealous. i would love to pick up a 4870x2 for $470. i'm returning the 4870 i got, i'll sit on this 7950GT until theres a deal on 4870x2's.

UPS delivered mine earlier yesterday: Box battered

Compared to my old card:

Seems to be a pattern with these Best Buy cards. My box wasn't battered, but I received no disk or manual though the box indicates it comes with both. Someone also mentioned a free Prince of Persia? Or am I missing something there?

Mine also came with the 2 6 pin adapters. My PSU also doesn't have the correct 8 pin connector and I didn't think to try the 6 pin one, will have to try it when I get home... though that one poster has me paranoid about it now!

Box being beaten up and packaging being in bad shape is UPS's fault. It goes through so many handlers on the inbound/outbound belts most of the time its just tossed on the floor. (I used to work for FedEx once). Fortunately my card came unharmed.

Contents missing is definitely Best Buy's responsibility. I got Prince of Persia, Install disk, and every single connection. Sounds fishy that yours is missing few of these, but then it was on preorder so who knows if it was returned.

Seems to be a pattern with these Best Buy cards. My box wasn't battered, but I received no disk or manual though the box indicates it comes with both. Someone also mentioned a free Prince of Persia? Or am I missing something there?

Mine also came with the 2 6 pin adapters. My PSU also doesn't have the correct 8 pin connector and I didn't think to try the 6 pin one, will have to try it when I get home... though that one poster has me paranoid about it now!

Your 4870 X2 will not, repeat not work with out the 8 pin.
You'll need one of these:http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=34_186&products_id=21721

Yeah, it works great. Took a few tries to get it working. I had to enable Overdrive, create the profile in the manager, then find the profile, edit it, save, then load via profile manager. Its idling at 50C right now since my room is hot. I was worried that with the fan fix, the card wouldn't increase fan speed if needed, but it definitely ramps the rpm's up when it gets too hot. Its hard to get a definite reading as there is no in-game overlay for temperatures, but right after leaving a game I am seeing high 80's for the card. I guess a new case, pump, and waterblock are in my future.

I added a second X2 to my computer last night.
I did the profile hack and set the fans at 45%.
Noise is minimal and all 4 cores run at about 48-50C at idle and 65-70 under full load.

Did you take out the bottom foam layer? The manual and disks are hidden underneath it.

I added a second X2 to my computer last night.
I did the profile hack and set the fans at 45%.
Noise is minimal and all 4 cores run at about 48-50C at idle and 65-70 under full load.

I think my next plea to my wife is going to be for another pump and a waterblock.;)

I just realized mine did not come with manual or any discs or prince of persia either.. odd, it had also looked like it had been open previously too.

back up to 550

been like that for a while. I was pretty pissed when it would not let me order the pre order. guess I will wait a bit for the price to drop a little or see what Nvidia is doing.

yeah i'm gonna wait till it's early 400's late 300's before i order one or two

got my visiontek a couple hours ago. Box had no damages and came with all the connectors/adapters and the catalyst driver cd, prince of Persia, guild wars(trial I think), and amd ruby vol 1. Everything was in new condition except the card itself. The little slits under the dvi adaptors were bent and mishapen. I can't post a pic since I'm on my iPhone, but I pushed the bottom foward and it fit into the motherboard. I downloaded the catalyst 8.8 drivers and expert ati over edge with my phone and installed them. Right now I'm working out the kinks and trying to learn everything(CCC). Tried Vantage but the screen flickered white while doing the tests, so I'm trying to figure everything out. I'm also using the dvi to vga adapter since I'm on my crt since I didn't order my 30" yet.

Also, my mobo (evga 680i) wouldn't post at first, and I would get no video feed. But after switching out the 4870x2 for my 8800gtx and back again, it posted and started to work. Just so people with the 680i know :)

what's the average fps people are getting in crysis in very high with one 4870 x2.

Also, I noticed the idle speed for gpu 1 is 507/500 and in game it's supposed to raise up to 750/900. I noticed this speed increase while alt-tab when I was in c&c3 but in crysis the speed doesn't reaise up 750/900, it's stays at 507/500. Anyone know how to fix it?

Anyone tried the 8.8 catalyst?

I used the Catalyst 8.8 beta drivers and CCC.
The beta actually has newer drivers than the 8.8 official release.
I could not get Crossfire to work with anything except the beta 8.8.
I like them alot and my cards are very stable.:D

I used the Catalyst 8.8 beta drivers and CCC.
The beta actually has newer drivers than the 8.8 official release.
I could not get Crossfire to work with anything except the beta 8.8.
I like them alot and my cards are very stable.:D

Can i ask you something?
If you benched Vantage , whats your GPU score? I am trying to find out this because mine is ^13100 and i have friends that are getting like 15K

Can i ask you something?
If you benched Vantage , whats your GPU score? I am trying to find out this because mine is ^13100 and i have friends that are getting like 15K

I play games. Sorry.

Benchmark software doesn't do anything for me.:rolleyes:

then how else can I monitor the gpu speeds and make sure both gpus are at 750/900?

Rivatuner 2.10 is due out in about a week.
The major changes in store are for the ATI side.
Unwinder has full details here:http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=271073

Unfortunately, it looks like RT will not monitor everything in Crossfire.
Re: 4870 X2:partially. The functionality is limited to single GPU only, i.e. you'll be able to monitor single GPU clocks/temperatures/GPU load only as well as o/c will be only applied to single chip in crossfire mode. There are no plans to provide Crossfire support in the nearest future, sorry.

But he goes on to say that fan profiles should work.

I got 13354 but my gpu #1 is still underclocked at 507/500 so I'm trying to fix all the little tweaks and such

I may have the same problem then? please let me know if you find how to fix it?

Speedy, how were you able to tell that?

Well it takes a couple seconds for the clocks to change so I alt tab'd while vantage was running, after deleting by profiles and re adjusting I got it to 750/900 in vantage for gpu #1, but in crysis it still stays at 507/500 :(

Thanks for the heads up, if you happen to come across a fix, please post it in here for us :)

I will :) it's just that these past few days I've posted from my phone, even right now :D I also had to download the 8.8 catalyst drivers and ccc and expert ati off of my phones edge :( 20 kb/s...so slow. But comcast installed a new line like 2 hours ago and it will activated tomorow morning so here's hoping it works :)

So just to clarify.

We CAN open these packages and still return them to Best Buy without a restocking fee within 30 days, if we aren't satisfied with the product.

Correct?

I'm looking at the box right now, afraid to open it. ;)

My x2's have arrived!
at home...
and I'm at work....

Doh.
I hope you bought a new power supply because thats cutting it close with a 750watt unit. also I hope you have a 30inch monitor because 2 4870x2 cards dont do anything more than 1 4870x2 can do on a 24inch or lower. heck even at 2560 having 2 4870x2 cards only helps in a couple games.

Well it takes a couple seconds for the clocks to change so I alt tab'd while vantage was running, after deleting by profiles and re adjusting I got it to 750/900 in vantage for gpu #1, but in crysis it still stays at 507/500 :(

Any fix yet?

Back