Best wireless setup for security & guess access

matt9669

Limp Gawd
Thought I'd let the networking gurus take a stab at this one.

I recently picked up a Visio XWR-100 based on its good reviews, range, simultaneous dual band, and price - hard to beat > $60! Plus, it's nice to look at, and we all know WAF is critical. :rolleyes: We frequently have guests, and having to give out the network key, allow access to the other computers etc. can be problematic, especially when some joker wants to move files around, or worse. Before ordering I breezed through the manual and thought it would work to setup an open "guest" network with the AP Isolation setting, which allows clients access only to the Internet and not to the rest of the network. This would work, except it would have to apply to ALL 2.4GHz traffic.

My plan was to use two 2.4GHz SSIDs, one highly secure with full access, and one less secure with Internet access only, but that isn't possible. Each band can use AP Isolation or not, but that's it. You can have two 2.4GHz SSIDs but the 2nd one just uses WEP only for older devices, which is useless to me since that just makes the network far less secure. Suppose I were to enable AP Isolation on 2.4GHz - inevitably someone will go out on the deck with a device that does not support 5GHz, and ask "why can't I print" or "why can't I access pictures on the WHS" etc.

I'm not sure about how secure AP Isolation or guest networking (i.e. HTTP authentication) is concerning local network access. Also debating whether the "guest" network should be secure at all, I won't use it and I think it highly unlikely someone would be close enough to snoop packets and I have guests at the same time. Plus I'd still have to deal with people who can't enter a damn password. Bandwidth/connection stealers, though I doubt this likely in my neighborhood, could be dealt with via excluding MAC addresses, though that's not bulletproof (is it?).

And here's a really hard question for you: any way to allow guests access to a printer, but not the rest of the network? I can foresee that being a problem.

Here's what I'm considering:

Option #1
Keep the Visio XWR-100, enable AP Isolation on 2.4GHz, use WPA2 on 5GHz & don't broadcast the SSID. 2.4GHz could use WEP so it works with whatever and lets guests feel more secure, or be open so I have less to deal with. Only difficulty will be those home devices which are 2.4GHz only and need network access, though Netflix streaming etc. would be unaffected.

Option #2
Get a 2nd XWR-100, disable the DCHP server and use it like an access point. Both 5GHz networks could be secure with local access, expanding range on that band (if I put one in another location), and one 2.4GHz network could be isolated, the other not. Not sure what kind of problems this might cause, including interference, multiple network confusion, etc.

Option #3
Exchange the XWR-100 for a Linksys/Cisco E4200 (or the like), with a true HTTP authenticated guest network alongside each band. Still have to give out a password (*sigh* - call me irritable, but you would think a password like "guest" would be easy ... do I just have idiots for friends?) and for your trouble, no encryption. I'd gain in wireless speed for sure, but that's not critical as nearly all major traffic is wired. Some devices might not play nice with the need to authenticate via a webpage, again causing headaches for me.

All thoughts & ideas appreciated!

I had to do this once, HOWEVER i used a cisco WRVS4400N

I made 2 ssid's for the customer one of their lastname and one for the rental suit, they wanted the rental suit to be able to print to the old laser printer that was on the network because the renters were in school and it was a bonus,

ALl i did was allowed the rental suit to see one ip address ( rule ) and that was it, they were not able to see anything else.

The other tech company said there was no other way of doing it unless they bought some high end sonicwall etc etc unit, i laughed and said NOPE easy lemme show.

I did and till this day after 1.5 years they are still up and running.

See if you can setup multiple ssids, then isolate them, but make a rule.

What would you recommend equipment-wise for rule-based access like that? I see the WRVS4400N is a "small business" router ... though I also see significant negative reviews on Amazon.

It's been a while since I looked into DD-WRT and other non-stock firmware, I assume it would IP-based rules like you're describing?

What would you recommend equipment-wise for rule-based access like that? I see the WRVS4400N is a "small business" router ... though I also see significant negative reviews on Amazon.

It's been a while since I looked into DD-WRT and other non-stock firmware, I assume it would IP-based rules like you're describing?

ive setup tons of the 4400n's ive never had any issues.

Netgear WNDR3000+ series also support SSID isolation and Guest access accounts.

The Cisco can also no sweat, but seriously, if you don't wanna spend the coin, don't bother.

After doing some walkabouts with a laptop & iPhone, I've determined my range is even worse than I realized. I don't need the latest 3x3 MIMO speeds and thinking about it, I actually don't need 5GHz either - range on that band is absolutely terrible! The XWR100 won't do WDS and I don't want to have to connect to different networks based on location. Also don't want to fool with DD-WRT or Tomato for WDS, they can do some cool things but considering I'm not always here, it needs to be a stock config.

The 4400N looks like it will fit the bill. WAF is no longer a factor as the router can now go in a closet :D I'll just swap out the antennas for some ~10dbi omnis, I think that will be the simplest and best solution for coverage. The main problem people mention is heat, but I can wire up a 12V fan for it if need be. Plus, it's on Amazon, which means super-easy returns.

I'm assuming the setup will be multiple VLANs on the 2.4GHz network. Do you recommend a guest-type HTTP authentication or an open network for guests? I will be using IP rules regardless for things like printer access, as you suggested ... I think that will please everyone.

Anything else I should know about the 4400N? And thanks for the help :cool:

Back