best way to recovery and get files from crashed system

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
friend of mine had a computer crash on him and now he cant boot into windows, what is the best way to recover the system and try to salvage data like pictures or music or anything on the system?

So is he getting a windows cant load error, or a dead hard drive error?

If its the windows error, you can try a BartPE CD (Bootable windows CD) or if its the dead drive problem, you can slave it in another machine and try getdatabck from runtime.org, they've saved my butt several times

dang! where was this thread when my HDD died? i threw the SOB away because i thought it was a lost cause. who knew there was a program to retrieve data from a dead HDD.

Pull the drive and put it in external enclosure then scan it with another machine.

dbwillis said:
So is he getting a windows cant load error, or a dead hard drive error?

If its the windows error, you can try a BartPE CD (Bootable windows CD) or if its the dead drive problem, you can slave it in another machine and try getdatabck from runtime.org, they've saved my butt several times

I second BartPE... I use it to pull stuff all the time. That's only if the HD still works but the OS and everything is crapped up.

You have some options there... If he's got another PC that is networked with that one he can just create/attach to the sharepoint with \\servername\share and BAM copy his data over, and install XP on the drive.

Or slap another hard drive in, boot up with Bart, and copy from one drive to the other. Turn it off, take out the extra drive (with your data so you don't accidentially install xp on it) and install XP on your old crapped up drive.

The key to BartPE here is it'll easily read data from a drive partitioned with NTFS... sure there's lots of other boot discs that utilize Windows PE that can do the same thing, and they'll work too.

But that only works when the partition table it still intact correct? I don't know enough about the problem but if the partition itself it no longer intact but the data is still there file scavenger worked for me. I guess just try everything untill you get your data back.

MrGreg62 said:
Pull the drive and put it in external enclosure then scan it with another machine.
assuming the Hard Drive isn't totally dead, I would get an external enclosure (like MrGreg said) or slave it on someones machine.

if the drive seems unreadable, try ez recovery pro. That program is friggin wicked. I've been able to retrieve all kinds of data off of drives that have taken a crap. Like accidentally changing the partition table with some horribly laid out linux disk manager, or in the windows setup. I've done both of those a time or two :p ok ok only ONCE. :D

Back