best way to overtake them aussies?

Bodega

Gawd
what do you guys think is the best way to get production up a bit and take back our #1 spot? :confused:

-aside from nuking Australia-

Easy, get a huge grant from some rich d00d who loves science and buy one kadrillion PC's. :D

Convincing Midnight to fold again. ;)

And getting as many of your friends folding as possible as well. Im about out of boxes to borg, and my power bill is high enough with my moron roomate, so I don't really want to build anymore to fold at home either. So getting other people to join is my only option left, at the moment.

Just remember, every processor helps, even if its a 700 MHz P3! :D

Or have someone that works up north of Ohio to fix their power grid to tripp off. Just like the company that blacked out the eastern seaboard a year or so ago.

I see two people here that live in Colorado, I have never been to Colorado, but my best friend just moved that way from montana. Lucky for him he found a job he likes and lives outside of Aurora, about some 10 miles. Not sure if it is close to boulder or not, I don't currently have a map near me.

But I'm sure he could help us out somehow, besides he had a boat load of old pc hardware.

If we still had Midnight's daily output, we'd be outproducing the Aussies..... but... until someone can convince him to restart his PCs.............

As for other ways to incease output........ get every new folder you can... come up with ideas to help recruit others... etc.... anything......

Keep on Folding!!

Scorpionjwp said:
I see two people here that live in Colorado, I have never been to Colorado, but my best friend just moved that way from montana. Lucky for him he found a job he likes and lives outside of Aurora, about some 10 miles. Not sure if it is close to boulder or not, I don't currently have a map near me.

But I'm sure he could help us out somehow, besides he had a boat load of old pc hardware.

Aurora is about 40 minutes from Boulder or so. Boulder is a bit north of Denver, and Aurora is a bit southeast. Thats where my girlfriend is from, actually. :)

I could put it on 100+ 2.6 GHZ P4's at my college, but they get restored everyday

Thanks Dark Ember for telling me where that is. His daily commute is about 20miles to the workplace, working for Leer Homes.

The best way to overtake them aussies, is turn off the whole power grid to australia. If one company near Cleveland was able to shut off power to the whole eastern seaboard for many hours, couldn't the same thing happen to them aussies.

I was thinking nukes, but the radiation picked up by the winds would have that coming toward us.

We just more people to fold for the [H]orde, or everybody chip in some dough to buy a supercomputer.

Bugalaman said:
I could put it on 100+ 2.6 GHZ P4's at my college, but they get restored everyday
that's actually (relatively) easy to fix. convince the sysadmins to fold for us. put the folding dirs on a remote place (something that doesn't get reimaged) and tell it to start folding from there (index by # - it picks a number that isn't already running... or index by machine name if that's constant) with a batch file on the image (or just put folding in the image, and leave machineid and WU stuff out - then just don't worry about the lost units... but there would prolly be QUITE a few days where none turned any WUs in... so the first method is better)

maybe if we all OC all our cpus by like 10%... its startin to get a bit colder out

OSUguy98 said:
If we still had Midnight's daily output, we'd be outproducing the Aussies..... but... until someone can convince him to restart his PCs.............

im pretty sure that MF's daily output was 16k at his peak.. OCAU is 20k/day above us :/

The sad part is that I could do it all by myself, but I would get fired from my job in the process so that isn't a good thing.

Trust me, I wish I could. I hate sitting in the damn office building thinking about all the spare CPU cycles going to waste every day.

I have always believed in borging more. So the best way to beat any other team is with a [H]orde of Borg[e]. That is why I am bringing on 7 - 3Ghz P4 530's this weekend, 21Ghz more for the [H]orde.

So get borging.

Fold ON!

I just explained to my boss what FAH is and what its trying to accomplish. Then asked if I could install it as the default screensaver when no one is logged on. She said as long as the user of that machine dosent object she had no problems with it.

Thanks to that i'm hoping to put out 10k a day soon. To be honest a big chunck could come from bosses understanding what FAH is, and that it wont nuke their dell.

MrValentine said:
I just explained to my boss what FAH is and what its trying to accomplish. Then asked if I could install it as the default screensaver when no one is logged on. She said as long as the user of that machine dosent object she had no problems with it.

Thanks to that i'm hoping to put out 10k a day soon. To be honest a big chunck could come from bosses understanding what FAH is, and that it wont nuke their dell.

Unfortunately, I work for the government. You know you can't get the government to do anything good. Besides, it would be too much like actually producing something. I don't think they want to set that precedent. Then, citizens might actually expect something other than a bill.

Another idea, go to your local BB, Comp USSR, CC, Etc and borg any machines that they have connected to the internet. 90% of the time, they either won't notice or wont bother to change it.

cgrant26 said:
Another idea, go to your local BB, Comp USSR, CC, Etc and borg any machines that they have connected to the internet. 90% of the time, they either won't notice or wont bother to change it.
actually, i have a friend who works at my local BB... maybe i can get him to put folding on (under my name??? heh) with his manager's permission... that way it would stay.

it'd be nice. i'll have to ask him next time i see him...

It looks like we have the right idea, but there is one way to describe what we ned to beat the aussies.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that nobody has mentioned it yet.

It was the answer, it is the answer, and the answer it forever shall be.

The answer is D!

Accept no substitutes.

D eh? I know it well, seen enough of them on my report card:p.

MrValentine said:

ahh! no, not the screensaver! if you must..put the graphical client in and reduce the draw rate to its minimum

the best way would be to put the console client on and stealth it w/ FireDaemon (Lite) as described in the FAQ...

...unless your boss won't let you put it on if it's not a screensaver?

at any rate, good luck.

You don't need Fire Daemon for the console client. It will ask if you want to run as a service, select yes and you'll never know its there.

Back