best way to convince admin to borg

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
we have 5 labs at my tech school right now with 35 machines in each lab, 4 labs @ 2.8ghz p4's and 1 lab @ 3.4

392 + 119 = 511ghz if he could be persuaded. thats an S-Load of power and these boxes run 24/7!

we have completely anonymous logins (not secure) so i could install it either way with no reprocussions to myself, but i have a moral obligation to do this right...how should i approach him with this?

Kaos said:
we have completely anonymous logins (not secure) so i could install it either way with no reprocussions to myself, but i have a moral obligation to do this right...how should i approach him with this?

Not to mention legal :eek:

Best way is to write a letter stating what it is, whats it for, how it wont impact on performance. You also have to tell him how much bandwidth it uses etc.

Best of luck...the ocau in me says i hope you fail :p, but i truly hope that he gives it some serious thought :)

Cheers

FOLD ON!!

Best advice I can give..... Read up on Folding, get as familiar with it as possible, and then talk to them about it.... be prepared for questions, etc... Make sure you let them know that it's not a virus, spyware, etc,etc.... you won't notice a difference while running it..... and that it's not a network hog.....

Keep on Folding!!

[OCAU] fatmantan said:
Best way is to write a letter stating what it is, whats it for, how it wont impact on performance. You also have to tell him how much bandwidth it uses etc.
Best advice I've heard on the subject yet. Failing that, try putting him in a headlock. :)

I also think that one of the other suggestions I have seen here gets overlooked too much. That is to ask him/her/them to let you show them a test on a few machines first so that they can see that it really does have 0 impact on the systems' performance. Then just choose a couple from the from row (you know, the ones that are the least used of all) and let 'er rip. But studying up on the program and being prepared to answer questions is good too.

Good luck, and hopefully soon enough you might have one of these. or two .... or a bunch!

<----- thanks xENo! :D

you won't notice a difference while running it..... and that it's not a network hog.....

Becareful here... when running in a large enviorment you will see performance issues if F@H runs all the time.. and it does use a load of internet bandwith with 500+ clients... this is why I don't run F@H when users are on their computers... 2+ years and never a complaint.

Write a letter, get papers and articles from Stanford and start off with a small test bed of users first, then expand from there.

OC-AMD said:
Becareful here... when running in a large enviorment you will see performance issues if F@H runs all the time.. and it does use a load of internet bandwith with 500+ clients... this is why I don't run F@H when users are on their computers... 2+ years and never a complaint.

Write a letter, get papers and articles from Stanford and start off with a small test bed of users first, then expand from there.

Hey, OC-AMD, your reply brought up a question in me. How do you configure the XP/2000/NT client so that it works when no one is logged in. I had assumed that was not possible but if it is, there is one less hurdle for me to cross in convincing my school.

if you use the latest console client, you can install F@H as a service and it will run when no one is logged in.... as to running ONLY when no one is logged in, I guess you'd have to set it up as a scheduled task?

Keep on Folding!!

mention this to the science department head... then have him talk to the administrators and have him refer them to you.

that should do it.

OSUguy98 said:
if you use the latest console client, you can install F@H as a service and it will run when no one is logged in.... as to running ONLY when no one is logged in, I guess you'd have to set it up as a scheduled task?

Keep on Folding!!

The service keeps running if someone is logged in or not. The advantage is you can just turn the machine on and it folds away.

Right, but if you wanted it to run ONLY when no one was logged in (and NOT when someone was using the PC) then you'd have to play with a scheduled task...

Keep on Folding!!

OSUguy98 said:
Right, but if you wanted it to run ONLY when no one was logged in (and NOT when someone was using the PC) then you'd have to play with a scheduled task...

Keep on Folding!!

Ahhh, I see what you are saying now. I guess that is better than nothing, and better than students crying about 100% processor usage when they are on the machine.

Tell him that if he lets you borg all those computers, all of his wildest dreams will come true.

Tell him that if he doesn't let you borg all the systems that we'll get the moose on a bender and send him that way. :p :D

Hey, OC-AMD, your reply brought up a question in me. How do you configure the XP/2000/NT client so that it works when no one is logged in. I had assumed that was not possible but if it is, there is one less hurdle for me to cross in convincing my school.

Sorry for the delayed response magnusvir... but heres how I do it.

Use scheduled tasks to start the console version of the client... have the task start after xx number of minutes of idle inactivity... and there is a check box that will allow the task to stop when someone goes to use the system. Under the task properties, you have to enter an account to run the task as... use a different account then the users that are logged in... even if it was running while they were on, they see no window because it's running as a different user in a different profile. I have my clients set to come on at 16 minutes of idle.. the screen saver is forced onat 15 minutes... and I run as the local administrator.

The task will run even if no one is logged in...

JasonLee said:
Tell him that if he lets you borg all those computers, all of his wildest dreams will come true.

$10 says he is a serial killer / rapist that likes chains. ;)

Back