best video card for under $100--used or new

I need some advice. I have $100 dollars to spend on a video card, and I need some opinions on how to get the most bang for my buck. My motherboard is an MSI 790GX-G65 with an AMD Phenom 2 X4--the video on the board is PCI express 2.0 X16. I play games. Thanks.

For $100 I wouldn't get anything slower than a HD4870 1GB

When Nvidia improves their drivers, then your post will be relevent..

You're talking Linux. I'd tend to believe by default that we're talking about Windows functionality.

FWIW nvidia's HDTV scaling support has been wonky for years, and the HDTV portion of their driver has felt clunkier than ATI's for years now.

Believe me, I'm not biased. I'm a staffer/reviewer at nvnews, but I fully enjoy an HD 5830 as well as a GTX 465.

You're certainly not going to find a new HD4870 for $100 since they are phased out. My advice was meant as a counter to this:

ragejg said:
HD 4850 for sure.

ygpm
Paying $100 for a used HD4850 is a ripoff when with a little searching it is possible to get a much better deal.

Last edited:
You're certainly not going to find a new HD4870 for $100 since they are phased out. My advice was meant as a counter to this:

Paying $100 for a used HD4850 is a ripoff when with a little searching it is possible to get a much better deal.

Right on...

I'm currently selling a Powercolor 4870 for $100 [H]ere and also have a 4890 available for not much more. :)

When ATI improves their drivers, I will agree with you.

lol you mean when they improve to the point that they lock out using hardware physics wben you have a competitor's card as the display?

or when they release drivers that actually caused people's cards to fry?

or how about the ones that cause some people with certain mobile graphics chipsets to take a performance loss due to improper manufacturering process in an effort to reduce heat output?

no thanks......

4870 for $100 is a great deal.
Or a 5770 for the matter.

Though an pretty odd suggestion is getting a pair of 8800GTX's for SLI, Ive seen 2 somewhere for $100.

a 4870 for a 100 dollars would be my pick. unless you need DX 11 and I doubt it. those are some good deals posted for you OP

I just recently scored a GTX 260 and a 4870 1gb for $70 each on craigslist. You have to be careful when dealing on there, but a lot of times you can negotiate yourself some decent deals.

In this case, it was a guy running a computer business who was selling the parts. Buying from some completely random guy probably isn't the safest thing to do.

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I'm trying to upgrade from a 8800gs lol
I've seen hd4850 for $75 hd4870 for $100 gtx 260 for $125

I'm in the same boat as you right now, I'm trying to upgrade from a 8800gs lol
I've seen hd4850 for $75 hd4870 for $100 gtx 260 for $125

good deals on 4800 but unless your looking to buy a seconded GTX260 for SLI I would not bother with it at that price. its no faster or better then a 4870 1gb. the prices are artificially high due to Nvidia EOL the product early and causing a shortage. still if you can get it for a c note then I would bite.

Back