Best Verizon smartphone for mp3s?

Glacian22

Gawd
So here's my question to the interwebs: What verizon compatible phone has the best music player? My only requirements are that it have a physical keyboard and good battery life. Are there any previous gen phones that I could pick up cheap that you would recommend? Specifically, I'm looking for a phone that I can pay for out of pocket, because I really can't afford to pay verizon's monthly data plan.

The Droid would still rock even without a data plan.

Yeah, the Droid is definitely on my list, but in the theme of "poor college student" I was hoping for something cheaper than the $500 for an unsubsidized Droid. Thanks for the input though!

You'll HAVE to get a data plan with any smartphone out on Verizon. The last one you could get without a data plan was the Samsung Epix (I believe). If you pick up a Droid even at full price, you WILL get charged the $30/month.

Maybe I mis-interpreted the original post but I didn't see where he said he needed a smartphone... You certainly don't need Android (or an iPhone) to play decent music out of a phone, and there's certainly just as many cheap feature phones out there w/ALL sorts of different physical keyboards as there are smartphones, 'specially if you're looking primarily at Android...

There's a definite lack of Android phones w/keyboards (and they're all landscape sliders AFAIK). The Droid was great, the Moment was ok, but most of the other Android phones w/physical keyboards (mostly all from Moto) were a disappointment.

Heck a cheap feature phone would likely have better battery life than a smartphone which was also one of his requests. My Sony Ericsson phone is a great lil' music player, even over the speaker, which is louder than any other phone I've come across (smartphone or otherwise). It's the one thing about it I'm gonna miss dearly...

you don't want an ipod, ipod touch or something? Use the phone as a phone and grab a touch for music, web, and apps. $100 should be able to get you a used touch.

That's what I've done 'till now... But I'm itching to get my first (Android) smartphone big-time, heh. The iPod touch is pretty good for IM'ing or e-mail (and surfing obviously) wherever you've got WiFi tho, and the battery life for music is epic (can get as much as 40 hours if you're not fiddling with the screen constantly). I still use my phone as a player a lot tho (because it's always on me, iPod's not). A used iPod's definitely gonna be money better spent than a cheap phone that's gonna be overpriced only because it's unsubsidized... But it comes down to how you intend to use it.

Maybe I mis-interpreted the original post but I didn't see where he said he needed a smartphone... You certainly don't need Android (or an iPhone) to play decent music out of a phone, and there's certainly just as many cheap feature phones out there w/ALL sorts of different physical keyboards as there are smartphones, 'specially if you're looking primarily at Android...

True I don't really need a smartphone. So, for a cheap phone with a good music player what would you suggest?

Maybe I mis-interpreted the original post but I didn't see where he said he needed a smartphone...

Title of the post? *shrug* Yes, there are tons of dumbphones that will play MP3s, but the decent ones will have a $10 data requirement because Verizon are a bunch of chiselers. Never said he needed a smartphone though, just went by the requirements given.

Are they charging $10 for any phone with a qwerty keyboard?

Yes. Any messaging type device, and any 3G enabled dumbphone. Basically, you'll be stuck with basic flips unless you pay the fees.

By the way Zepher, I had an 89 formula, loved that car. Got it used in 96 off a schoolteacher who got it as a graduation gift from her father, she was terrified of driving it and had 19k miles on it. I miss that car...

Last edited:
Samsung Intensity, LG Cosmos, and VZW Razzle are all QWERTY keyboards that don't require data.

Back