Best Verizon phone right now?

• Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

I am going to get a new one tomorrow and just want to make sure I am not screwing myself over for the next two years :p

Galaxy S3 is still the winner I guess?

It will be replacing my Droid 2, and no I don't care for physical keyboards anymore. I also like to root/use custom ROM's so I am guessing the Galaxy is the winner here too(versus lets say the Razr Maxx).

The only thing I kind of like more about the Razr Maxx is the insane battery and the looks(I've always been a sucker for the Razr line though, even the old flip ones :p).

Oh and I like using a decent amount of widgets(News, Music, Weather ect.) and also I use youtube a lot, and of course Facebook.

Galaxy S3, however Motorola is supposed to announce a new Razr Maxx HD in about a week.

Although I think the new Razr should be pretty good it's not like buying the S3 at this point is a bad idea, it'll be an awesome phone for quite some time.

Galaxy S3, it's now completely and utterly trivial to root and unlock.

Alright thanks, but fuck those new share plans. Right now my phone is unlimited(only 3g though) and my brothers gets 250mb. We pay ~$45 combined for the data alone. The new shareplans would make 1gb shared more expensive at $50. Seriously, those plans are atrocious for most users. Meh.

Alright thanks, but fuck those new share plans. Right now my phone is unlimited(only 3g though) and my brothers gets 250mb. We pay ~$45 combined for the data alone. The new shareplans would make 1gb shared more expensive at $50. Seriously, those plans are atrocious for most users. Meh.

Yeah, they'll try to force you into those new plans too. Initially there was a lot of news saying Verizon was making it impossible to keep unlimited data once those shared plans launched, but I've seen a lot of news and reports of people convincing them to let them grandfather their unlimited plans over again.

Let us know how it goes for you though ;).

Yep, I'm running a CM10 JB rom on my vzw S3 and it is awesomeness.

S3 does have a removable battery, so you can buy spares or larger capacity ones if you want MAXX life. Stock is quite decent though anyway.

Yeah, they'll try to force you into those new plans too. Initially there was a lot of news saying Verizon was making it impossible to keep unlimited data once those shared plans launched, but I've seen a lot of news and reports of people convincing them to let them grandfather their unlimited plans over again.

Let us know how it goes for you though ;).

Well, I checked last months usage, and it was at ~500mb. If I use wifi most of the time I could probably reduce it even more. The only time I can't use wifi is at school and if I am not at home obviously(work has free wifi).

I'll give them my opinions on their shit plans, but I'm not gonna argue for 3 hours just to get my way :p

Galaxy S3, it's now completely and utterly trivial to root and unlock.

Well, I guess I have some reading to do! I haven't kept up since I got the S3, and didn't know it could be rooted and flashed.

Well, I guess I have some reading to do! I haven't kept up since I got the S3, and didn't know it could be rooted and flashed.

Root was available like a day or 2 after release. Modified stock ROMs and CWM recovery within a week or so.

Bootloader took some time though. Easy as hell now, there's an app on play store called EZ unlock. Press unlock and you're done.

Not sure about connectivity of the other android phones, but the S3 can handle all kinds of devices plugged into it, USB hard drive, thumb drive, ps3 controller, Xbox controller, USB hub, keyboard and mouse, HDTV, etc.

Well, I checked last months usage, and it was at ~500mb. If I use wifi most of the time I could probably reduce it even more. The only time I can't use wifi is at school and if I am not at home obviously(work has free wifi).

I'll give them my opinions on their shit plans, but I'm not gonna argue for 3 hours just to get my way :p

That's understandable, but I just couldn't stomach the thought of paying more for less service. You could argue that you get unlimited mins/texts and tethering (which you can always have for free anyways) with it, but hardly anyone uses that many mins today.

Root was available like a day or 2 after release. Modified stock ROMs and CWM recovery within a week or so.

Bootloader took some time though. Easy as hell now, there's an app on play store called EZ unlock. Press unlock and you're done.

Nice to know! I can't wait to get rid of some of this Verizon crap.

[strike=option]I assume you have to be rooted for the EZ Unlock to work?[/s] NM....RTFA answered it for me.

Last edited:
I recommend waiting given that it's rumored the long awaited iPhone 5 will be out in a few weeks or so.

Galaxy S3 is the only current device with 2GB of RAM. Depending on usage pattern, this can be a deciding feature.

Another vote for the Galaxy S3, rooted, with CGM 10. I love it on mine (although I miss the Touchwiz camera). Battery life is about 2 days for me.

Last edited:
There are 4 or 5 phones on the horizon for the next 30 or 45 days; so if you have to buy today then the galaxy s3 or maybe the razr max (better reception) are the options; but if you can wait up to 45 days then it is likely the following will be out:
note ii (kind of large)
htc note (1080p, s4 pro; ips; kind of large)
razr hd (s4 720p)
-
I have the razr (non max) and battery life is a real killer so will probably upgrade; but watiing to see what the htc phone looks like; the galaxy s3 doesn't feel right when I played with it in the store - not a big fan of the mechanical home button; but a lot of folks like it.

The Rezound is a great value phone right now, 1.5ghz dual core/1gbRAM/8mp camera with a 720p NON-AMOLED screen, can be had for around 50 bucks when they go on sale.
Hardware wise the S3 beats it, but if you want something that isn't so big and non-AMOLED screen the Rezound is really a nice peice o' gear.

The Rezound is a great value phone right now, 1.5ghz dual core/1gbRAM/8mp camera with a 720p NON-AMOLED screen, can be had for around 50 bucks when they go on sale.
Hardware wise the S3 beats it, but if you want something that isn't so big and non-AMOLED screen the Rezound is really a nice peice o' gear.

The rezound is pretty 'large feeling' it's very thick and heavy and it's last generation processor makes it a battery hog. If you want something that's a little smaller and less expensive I'd go Incredible 4G for almost the same price as a Rezound.

Well they gave me 2gb which is better than forcing a share plan.

Loving it so far, but the keyboard is complete meh.

The new slew of Motorola phones have already been confirmed to have open bootloaders so rooting and everything else will be easy.

The new slew of Motorola phones have already been confirmed to have open bootloaders so rooting and everything else will be easy.
....are you talking about the consumer versions or dev/test versions?

We know that there will be a dev version...but I'd be surprised if anyone had their hands on a consumer version as of yet

Went through 3 LG Revolutions....will never buy another LG phone... Bought a RAZR off of craigs list and either this phone is just ridiculously amazing or my old phones were so bad it made this look amazing. Either way, i'm all but impressed with this motorola phone. I have serious interest in the RAZR HD and even moreso in the possibility of a MAXX HD...

Zarathustra[H];1039120773 said:
I don't get Swype.

I have the S3, and I've tried it, but I feel like it slows me down compared to typing regularly, so I do that instead.

Swype its better then oxygen

Well, I checked last months usage, and it was at ~500mb. I'll give them my opinions on their shit plans, but I'm not gonna argue for 3 hours just to get my way :p
I don't really use that much either. But screw paying $130 vs $85 a month for limited data. :(

That's understandable, but I just couldn't stomach the thought of paying more for less service. You could argue that you get unlimited mins/texts and tethering (which you can always have for free anyways) with it, but hardly anyone uses that many mins today.
See, I never used more than 450 BECAUSE I was limited and because I HATE holding a phone on my ear...especially the picture frame S3! But it seemed like every other month I'd go into 1500+ minute territory and end up either getting slammed w/ $100 in overage or having them back date for the higher plan which cost $40 or so more anyway.

Now that I...

a. Have a bluetooth 4.0 phone. S3
b. Have a bluetooth 4.0 headset. Motorola Elite Sliver
c. Have free time.

I'm seriously considering keeping the new plan. W/ a massive SDCard, I can store all my music and movies local. This really leaves browsing and apps for data and that doesn't consume anything. The biggest loss is the ability to dl distro's when I'm playing in a hotel room, but I'm probably better off drinking a beer and socializing w/ other humans than hermiting anyway. :p

Galaxy S3 is the only current device with 2GB of RAM. Depending on usage pattern, this can be a deciding feature.
It was for me.

Another vote for the Galaxy S3, rooted, with CGM 10. I love it on mine (although I miss the Touchwiz camera). Battery life is about 2 days for me.
Same, except I go through 2 battery's minimum per day. It's a new phone, I'm in honeymoon mode! :D

The rezound is pretty 'large feeling' it's very thick and heavy and it's last generation processor makes it a battery hog. If you want something that's a little smaller and less expensive I'd go Incredible 4G for almost the same price as a Rezound.
I HATED that phone. My Thunderbolt had a wider screen and felt MUCH better in the hand. The S3 is perfect. Better than even the One X for feel/hold IMO.

Well they gave me 2gb which is better than forcing a share plan.

Loving it so far, but the keyboard is complete meh.
Cool!

You need Smart Keyboard Pro w/ English add on. Give the trial a shot and PM me if you have any questions so I can help you get started w/ a couple tweaks.

Zarathustra[H];1039120773 said:
I don't get Swype.

I have the S3, and I've tried it, but I feel like it slows me down compared to typing regularly, so I do that instead.
Same.

Swype its better then oxygen
I...I...I just don't think you thought this through. :(

im pretty taken on the razer M... 4.3 inch screen 1.5ghz processer, 2000maH battery. but feels like a 3.5 inch iphone or the original incredible. It also has a lot of cool features. ( I like the swipe right to get to settings) Besides the galaxy nexus ( which is what i have) it is the phone i would buy right now.

shadwyqwerty said:
Same, except I go through 2 battery's minimum per day. It's a new phone, I'm in honeymoon mode!

I'm still trying to decide what the best option would be, haven't really talked to too many people about the S3. Seeing as how you got one yourself, and seem to really like it, what are your thoughts on everyday usage? Is it quick and responsive? Is typing easier/the same/harder than on an iPhone (if you know, that is)? How does it fit into a jean pocket? Etc. Etc. The more details the better!

im pretty taken on the razer M... 4.3 inch screen 1.5ghz processer, 2000maH battery. but feels like a 3.5 inch iphone or the original incredible. It also has a lot of cool features. ( I like the swipe right to get to settings) Besides the galaxy nexus ( which is what i have) it is the phone i would buy right now.

I actually love this phone it seems like a really nice phone/design for 100 bucks the size/feel is awesome and it still has a s4 processor.

Kevlar too! My only gripe is what seems like a lackluster camera. Phonescoop iirc took a look at it.

I'm still trying to decide what the best option would be, haven't really talked to too many people about the S3. Seeing as how you got one yourself, and seem to really like it, what are your thoughts on everyday usage? Is it quick and responsive? Is typing easier/the same/harder than on an iPhone (if you know, that is)? How does it fit into a jean pocket? Etc. Etc. The more details the better!
Smart keyboard pro ~ iPhone keyboard

Phone feels and holds better than anything I've ever used...period. I ghost armored mine in the mall and now its grippy and I don't need a case.

I would never disgrace my pocket with an iPhone.

CM10 Jelly Bean gives the S3 wings. Its amazingly fast Ans hyper responsive and I'm underclocked 500mhz.

Kevlar too! My only gripe is what seems like a lackluster camera. Phonescoop iirc took a look at it.

Smart keyboard pro ~ iPhone keyboard

Phone feels and holds better than anything I've ever used...period. I ghost armored mine in the mall and now its grippy and I don't need a case.

I would never disgrace my pocket with an iPhone.

CM10 Jelly Bean gives the S3 wings. Its amazingly fast Ans hyper responsive and I'm underclocked 500mhz.

How about stock? Is it still an excellent phone as you say it is, without rooting?

Back