Best Value components for "easy" OCing

Reading the specs once more on that Antec case - it only has 1 x 120mm rear fan. Will this be enough to pull out the hot air?

EDIT: Bah looks like I missed the boat - buy.com isn't offering the case anymore.. :mad::mad:

you shouldn't have hesitated it, yes the case gets a little hot but nothing too crazy if you get the optional 120mm fan.

I know, I'm so mad, but I'm vacation and away from home. They have re-listed it at $118 w/ free shipping. Which is the same price as NewEgg with their shipping.

Is this still the best value for my setup or should I consider a seperate case and PSU?

Seems NewEgg has the Antec with an almost-free HP burner after instant $20 combo discount. Total comes to 103.99 when added to cart.

Total comes to 103.99 when added to cart.

Add shipping. It'll be around $135 to $145 total. Not worth it at that price point. Just get the Sonata III from buy.com for $119 shipped.

4GB OCZ "reaper" CAS4 for $75 AR @ NewEgg

And it will take you roughly 2 to 3 months to see that $30 rebate check in your hands. Considering that you won't notice the lower latency in real world apps, no reason to get that Reaper RAM since you still have to pay the upfront costs. In addition, your $600 budget doesn't allow for it anyway.

and that deal is gone already anyway...this is the only thing that sucks about being on vacation!

bingo!

I'm back and shopping again...Newegg now has the sonata shipped for 99! ;)

still think i might go for a PNY 8800gt for 119 versus the 4850 for 170....such....hard....choices....

bingo!

I'm back and shopping again...Newegg now has the sonata shipped for 99! ;)

still think i might go for a PNY 8800gt for 119 versus the 4850 for 170....such....hard....choices....

Go with the 8800GT then if you want to save $50.

Any thoughts on the Antec Three Hundred vs. the Sonata for my OC build?

Seems like ie may have better airflow and would only cost $5 more when ordering the same Earthwatts 500w PS.

Shit it dropped $10 in price. Yeah definitely go with the Antec 300 then. It is a better cooling case the Sonata III case.

Oh and my 8800GT is a stock model made by PNY. Plays most of my games on high settings at 1440x900 (max resolution of my monitor)

Which fans should I get for the front and should they both be intake?

You're in luck - I'm back from vacation and may finally pull the trigger tonight! :D

I have a spare 320GB Seagate harddrive - what kind of performance loss would I be looking at for gaming if I didn't go with the coveted WD 640gb?

Also, would a PS like the Antec True Power Trio 430w be enough juice for my rig?

Also, would a PS like the Antec True Power Trio 430w be enough juice for my rig?

Well what does your planned setup look like now?

You'll just see slower load times by going with the older drive and not the 640GB drive. Nothing major to some.

Still the same really - just found a used 430w being sold on the forums and I forgot I had this Seagate...

So finally my low cost gaming/OC rig is coming together...

Of course things didn't go as planned in the purchasing department. I missed some good deals but so far am satisfied with what I'm getting together. I've ended up with the following:

Antec 300 case - $48 shipped
8800GT w/ aftermarket cooling (thanks IsLNdbOi) - $121 shipped
4 GB OCZ Ram (thanks dennisjai & eshiku) - $64 shipped
Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W (newegg) - $95 shipped
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L (newegg) - $103 shipped
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm (newegg) - $25 shipped
Q6600 (ebay) - $118 shipped

584 total - using a Seagate 320GB harddrive I already had.

However, my question is the bottom mounting Antec 300 I purchased. In the picture I have mounted the PSU upside down so that the fan has room to "breathe." But is this OK, esp when I start to OC the beastly Q6600? Will that heat pushing against my honking vid card be ok?

cpu1.jpg

Back