Best upgrade from 8800 GTX?

Well, I've received the GTX 285 and I'm having some problems.

When playing any game it will randomly freeze up but if I ctrl-alt-delete (to bring up the desktop/task manager) and then go back into the game it fixes it.

I also notice artifacts flashing all over the screen while I'm playing.

I'm on a fresh install of Vista SP2 and I'm using the latest nVidia drivers (185.85, I think). Also, my power supply is brand new (Corsair 850 watt).

Anyways, I'm not beginning to think about forgetting about the video card and just buying a better television for the consoles. As much as I hate FPS games on the console I do enjoy gaming a bigger screen (32") and not having to worry about these type of annoying PC problems. Plus, my 8800 GTX isn't THAT bad I guess.

Install the System Tools and downclock it to 602/1296/1107 (GPU/Shader/Memory).

If the problems go away, get the card replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is this a known problem with the 185.85 drivers?

Doesn't sound like driver problems. Sounds like a defective card. Do what MarkW says or go ahead and replace it anyway.

If going to the desktop fixes it, it's more than likely an overheating issue. Going to the desktop will make the temps go down a little bit.

Well, it's very strange because I have a dual monitor setup.

Let's say I'm playing a game on my primary monitor and have an internet explorer download window on the other.

When the game freezes, my secondary monitor is fine and I see the progress bar and everything just fine.

I'm not sure how it might affect a dual monitor setup. Could potentially be a software issue. Very strange.

Try underclocking like others have said, and see if that fixes anything.

I have an image of my fresh Vista SP2 install before any video card drivers so I re-imaged it and installed the 182.50 drivers.

Same problem.

I'm downloading the nVidia System Tools now (very slowly!) so I'll try downclocking and see what happens.

I also have my system highly overclocked (E8400 @ 4.2 GHz). It worked fine with my 8800 GTX but could the GTX 285 be pushing the motherboard/system too much somehow? I'll also try using normal system clocks (3.0 GHz, etc).

Well, I found my problem.

When I underclock the card it works fine. When I return to default FTW speeds it locks up within seconds. I've tried it several times and it always locks up within seconds of returning to FTW speeds.

Could my overall system clock still be the problem or is it definitely the card and my system is fine?

EDIT: What is my quickest option for getting this thing replaced? I purchased it from NewEgg but I'm going to call EVGA and see what they are willing to do...

I am waiting for my rma from evga on my gtx 285 ftw card. It was locking in games and rebooting sometimes. Also, losing video output. When I underclocked it, it would work fine. So much for FTW. If you cut out the upc for the rebate and sent it off, you have to deal with evga directly, Otherwise the egg can replace it. My son's pc would lock everyday gaming with the ftw card. I replaced it, and no locks since. Locked in my pc also....At least the backplate looks nice.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a different card. After reading more reviews on NewEgg, it appears that this is a very common problem. Some people needed four or five replacement cards!

So... what about the 4870x2 as a replacement? It's actually $10 cheaper than the GTX 285 FTW.

My concerns are micro-stuttering, crossfire support, and driver support.

Micro-stuttering is my biggest concern.

Regarding CrossFire though, let's take Ghostbusters for the PC that was just released. Will it work with the 4870x2 at full speed?

Darn. My local stores don't have them but that's an amazing price!

I'm not completely turned off from buying another GTX 285 (but not another EVGA FTW edition), but I'm almost taking this as sign to maybe try something different like the 4870x2.

Anybody have any more opinions?

I really appriciate the help a ton

Factory overclocked cards are a no-go for me. I don't like them.

Get a stock-clock model.

Darn. My local stores don't have them but that's an amazing price!

I'm not completely turned off from buying another GTX 285 (but not another EVGA FTW edition), but I'm almost taking this as sign to maybe try something different like the 4870x2.

Anybody have any more opinions?

I really appriciate the help a ton

I forgot to mention that the online inventory is inaccurate - I picked one up at my closest store but it said unavailable when I checked on the website. They do have it in their store computers, though. I was able to call ahead (though they gave me the 314.99 price).

@masterfork: So only certain stores have the clearance price? My local Best Buy's have fairly intelligent people and I think the employees would immediately grab the cards for themselves if they had it for only $200.

Anyways, I think my options are as follows:

$350 - GTX 285 (this time a non factory overclocked model)
$350 - 4870X2
$400 - 4890 x2
or
$400? - 4890 plus new motherboard

I'm a little hesitant on the new motherboard option I'll admit. I'd rather see the performance now (eg. faster video) than later (eg. slower video but upgradeable in the future)

The 4890 x2 sounds really interesting and the benchmarks look really good but it sounds like my current motherboard just won't have the juice. :(

It's supposedly a nationwide clearance, but it seems like not all stores are required to adhere to the minimum clearance price. Although they quoted 314.99 on the phone, when I showed up there this morning, it rang up at 209.99.

If the employees at the Best Buys in your area are on top of their game, then it is likely they already knew about this and took advantage... Of course by calling, you do risk informing the uninformed, so it could be weighed against going on a journey to the store.

Micro-stuttering is my biggest concern.

Regarding CrossFire though, let's take Ghostbusters for the PC that was just released. Will it work with the 4870x2 at full speed?

I haven't noticed micro-stuttering on my 4870x2. As for Ghostbusters, I broke down and bought it on Steam and have it running smooth as butter at 1920x1200 all settings maxed. Best looking version of the game by far I would say. Shame about the multiplayer though.

Thanks for all of the advice everybody!

I've ordered an XFX 4890 before seeing the Sapphire Toxic version for only $50 more. So, I'm cancelling the original order and getting the Toxic version.

I can't quite afford a new motherboard plus another 4890, so is there any point in me upgrading the motherboard when mine works and is overclocked quite nicely? (E8400 @ 4.2 GHz)

Thanks again for all of the help!

I know that the OP has already made a choice, but the microstuttering issue with the 4870x2 was fixed with drivers several months ago. Or so they claim. I bought mine in February and have never had the issue. I also upgraded from an 8800GTX and it was much more of an upgrade than I expected. I had some issues with some of the earlier drivers, but I do not hesitate to recommend this card with the 9.5 or 9.6 drivers.

I would have let EVGA replace the FTW edition before anything else. Their support is awesome and I'm sure you would have been happy if you waited a few days.

Back