Best torrent download software?

Why are you relating client to download speed?

Your speed is not based on the client you use, it is based on a TON of other facotrs.

Azureus, it's stable and easy to use. I've tried a bunch of other clients months ago and didn't like any of them.

i'm bumping this because i think more people should use utorrent

the developer is kicking out releases at a rate of knots (for example, since i last posted here queueing has been added)

it's got a tiny footprint, is very fast and basically does what it's meant to do without extra bullshit.

utorrent on my PC, but I do most of my torrent downloads on the mac so I live and die with Azureus over there. The java implementation seems not to kill my mac like it does my PC.

the ONLY reason i use bittornado is because its fairly small and it works very well. Checking out µTorrent now.

(what keystroke = µ , i had to copy it in from their website :p )

distortedmind said:

it's got a tiny footprint, is very fast and basically does what it's meant to do without extra bullshit.

I'm quoting this for truth!

(i think) Hardocp linked an article on some clients and their features. I tried the top three rec and came away with utorrent. Previously I used bitcomet, which worked ok. Tho it did seem "bulky" and the features it "did" have weren't as useful.

The other one I tried was rufus. It had a sweet feature that would let me priortize uploads to a user, but was MUCH slower than utorrent.

For those that don't know, utorrent's .exe's only 94kb and there's no install!!

distortedmind said:

the developer is kicking out releases at a rate of knots (for example, since i last posted here queueing has been added)

Well fucking said. :cool:

@ everyone: Come join us over at their forums, they won't bite, I promise. ;)

This mu-torrent (I have no freaking clue how to type a mu on the keyboard) interests me. I'm gonna have to check it out. :D

It's actually pronounced "micro-torrent" (the "µ" symbol means "micro" in math-speak). But most people like to call it "you-torrent". ;)

Tip: The "µ" symbol is easily accessed by holding down:

Code:
ALT
...and typing...
Code:

1c3d0g said:
It's actually pronounced "micro-torrent" (the "µ" symbol means "micro" in math-speak). But most people like to call it "you-torrent". ;)

Tip: The "µ" symbol is easily accessed by holding down:

Code:
ALT
...and typing...
Code:

Thanks! Learn something new everyday.

I used to be an azureus whore, but its just to bloated, the damn java takes up a ton of ram especially with multiple torrents going.

I have since switched to utorrent, because it owns. Offers a simliar layout to azureus, most of the key features, DHT, per torrent upload speeds, etc.

and it only uses like 4-10mb of ram.

I've heard a lot of good things about utorrent, but it seems you cannot select which files to download within a torrent. That's a feature that I use a lot. Do they plan on implementing that soon?

Maximus825 said:
I've heard a lot of good things about utorrent, but it seems you cannot select which files to download within a torrent. That's a feature that I use a lot. Do they plan on implementing that soon?

It's there, you have to go to the Files tab an select the files and then (I think) right click and select "don't download".

;)

Well, I switched. I have officially dumped Azureus in favor of utorrent. I could not be happier. Only using 5MB of memory right now. That's GREAT!

Loved ABC untill i read about utorrent here. Havent looked back. It uses too little memory its awesome.

Lol, anyone remember using bittornado? That bastard and it's many windows brought down my rig many a time...

Jodiuh said:
Lol, anyone remember using bittornado? That bastard and it's many windows brought down my rig many a time...
Stormy's client, mmhmmmmm.

I don't think it needs to be said, but utorrent > *.

Azureus right now, but been hearing a lot of good things about utorrent so may try it out. Azureus has a lot of options and features, but being built with Java makes it pretty pokey at times on my P3 933 download box.

i use azureus dont have any problems with it i got 2 gigs of ram :p i also downloaded utorrent i like that client as well

1c3d0g said:
I3roknI3ottle: try Transmission, that's what a little bird to me. ;)

I have used transmission, I've also used Azureus and Tomato Torrent aswell. I did like transmission, but I like bits on wheels alot sofar. I might give transmission another go tho.

what's the best 64bit torrent client? The only one I have found so far is Arctic.

who cares if it is 64 bit?
The benefits involved are not going to show anything even remotely beneficiary to make any difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit client

I like utorrent, and i also dicovered podmailing a month ago who also allow to send large files by email.
Azureus is one of the best but il require a big configuration.

So...reading the first page of this, I noticed a mention of opening and using port 6881...does this really make it go faster? If so, how could I open up that port (and put it to stealth mind you) through the built in OS X firewall? Couldn't figure that out...

Faster torrents are always good.

Back