Best torrent download software?

air2k5

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
1,055
What is teh best torrent download software, i am using BitCOmet, but it won"t boost over 40bkps.
 
bit torrent
bit lord
bit comet
bt++

the key is to open port 6881 on your software firewall, and forward that port on your router to your local machine. It'll fly on its own from there on.
 
Also the higher your max upload speed is, the higher your max download speed is.
 
Azureus is the best that I could find, and I tried several.
 
bitcomet is my favourite (trust me it goes over 40KB/s, your config is incorrect)

azurues is good but having 100+meg of java is dumb
 
I really like Azureus, though I agree anything should work better than 40k if its configured right. Recently upgraded to a 5mb down connection, its been blazing fast lately if its something with a good number of seeds. All about the NAT settings, as a thousand other people said already. :)
 
How do you setup bitcomet to work better/faster? And how do I open that port on my router?
 
I use bitlord. I'm not sure if it is spyware filled, so be warned. It is a download manager style bittorrent client. There's a shortcut key to hide the status window (alt + ~) -- perfect for hiding your DLs from siblings... heheh.
 
I've grown accustomed to Azureus, and I like the available plugins (especially safepeer). Just curious, but what are you all getting for "sustained" or average download rates? I'm on a puportedly 9 MB down (Cox HSI), always allow unlimited upload, and rarely get much over 150 kb/sec sustained. I do not have a router, & use only ZAF for a software firewall...
 
Another Azureus user here. Afraid of a little RAM usage? Then use Bittornado or ABC. I just like Azureus for the interface and features.

Anyway, all BT clients should be able to pull downloads fast if the torrent has a lot of peers/seeds, you upload fast, and the proper ports are forwarded. You might want to change the port that BT sends/receives on, I think some ISPs might be limiting traffic on the default BT ports (6881-6889).

I've had some torrents go at 750 K/s (max out connection) with my 30 K/s upstream, and others I'll max out at around 200 K/s with the same upload speed.
 
I think ABC has a memory leak, it keeps filling up ram. So much so that I have to use a ram defragger program so it doesn't bog down my system. Azureus doesn't cause this.
 
BillLeeLee said:
Another Azureus user here. Afraid of a little RAM usage? Then use Bittornado or ABC. I just like Azureus for the interface and features.

Anyway, all BT clients should be able to pull downloads fast if the torrent has a lot of peers/seeds, you upload fast, and the proper ports are forwarded. You might want to change the port that BT sends/receives on, I think some ISPs might be limiting traffic on the default BT ports (6881-6889).

I've had some torrents go at 750 K/s (max out connection) with my 30 K/s upstream, and others I'll max out at around 200 K/s with the same upload speed.
Can I change the port Azureus uses through the client itself? I don't use a router, so I'm wondering how I can change the port (& which one--or range--I should use)....
 
Youc an change the port it uses by going to Tools -> Options or Preferences (don't have the window open so I don't remember the name).

Then when you get the preferences window, choose Connection and there'll be field called Incoming Port, and it'll probably say 6881 if you haven't changed it before.

I made it something like port 41000, and Azureus will then use port 41000, then 41001 and so on.
 
I used Azureus, and just kinda fell out of it. I now use BitTornado, and have been loving it...
 
Veritas616 said:
I used Azureus, and just kinda fell out of it. I now use BitTornado, and have been loving it...
I, too, use BitTornado. My only problem is that from time to time (reboot to reboot), it gets in a funk and SegFaults a lot. It's a very intermittent thing (and, yes, I'm using latest stable), but it still properly downloads the torrents.
 
norky said:

i have just started using this and it kicks ass, better than any other client (and i've used pretty much all of them)

89KB download !

and it does everything you want from a torrent client, with a tiny footprint. with 5 active torrents it uses 7meg... bitcomet uses 60-70meg in the same situation! azureus uses even more memory with java-hog
 
I might try that.
I think Azureus is great and all, but ever since one of the updates I cannot get it to work for me anymore. I've been using the regular BT client for a while with decent results.
 
distortedmind said:
i have just started using this and it kicks ass, better than any other client (and i've used pretty much all of them)

89KB download !

and it does everything you want from a torrent client, with a tiny footprint. with 5 active torrents it uses 7meg... bitcomet uses 60-70meg in the same situation! azureus uses even more memory with java-hog


It's almost perfect. If they just implement selectable files within the torrent, and a few azureus features, it will be there. Still, beats the 100mb memory usage Azureus put up for me. I can live without that forsure.
 
Does utorrent have plugins like Azureus? I'm most interested in whether utorrent would have something similar to the Safepeer plugin for Azureus......
 
distortedmind said:
i have just started using this and it kicks ass, better than any other client (and i've used pretty much all of them)

89KB download !

and it does everything you want from a torrent client, with a tiny footprint. with 5 active torrents it uses 7meg... bitcomet uses 60-70meg in the same situation! azureus uses even more memory with java-hog
i downloaded and tried uTorrent because of this thread and was VERY impressed. Very stable and very fast! I don't use any of the extra stuff from Azureus, so uTorrent is perfect for me :-D
 
Back
Top