Best top down air coolers?

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
Trying to decide. I have an R5 3600 and the stock cooler keeps it around 80 degrees c. I don't need water cooled performance but I wouldn't mind 10-20 degrees less. Aesthetics are important and I do not want one of the giant side fan coolers. At the same time I do not want to sink $100+ into an AIO so my other option is top down air cooler.

I am looking at the Dark Rock TF and the Scythe Big Shuriken 3. I am unsure which performs better or what else is out there that is worth it. What would you recommend?

From what ive read the noctua chromax L9i/a are the best combination of cooling, noise and looks for a low profile cooler.

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Trying to decide. I have an R5 3600 and the stock cooler keeps it around 80 degrees c. I don't need water cooled performance but I wouldn't mind 10-20 degrees less. Aesthetics are important and I do not want one of the giant side fan coolers. At the same time I do not want to sink $100+ into an AIO so my other option is top down air cooler.

I am looking at the Dark Rock TF and the Scythe Big Shuriken 3. I am unsure which performs better or what else is out there that is worth it. What would you recommend?
I recommend the Scythe as the best value. Its significantly less money than Dark Rock TF or Noctua C14. Will give you solid performance. Scythe stuff is great quality.
t
If you'd like something a little bigger, but not a whole lot more money, look at the Shadow Rock TF2. Its a 135mm fan (and larger heastink to go with it) Vs. the Big Shuriken's 120mm setup.

doyll

Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

Really depends on what case, motherboard and RAM you have .. as well as how your case airflow is setup. Tower coolers (ones with side fans) almost always cool much better thean flat coolers. Reason is unless case has an vent with intake fan directly above cooler the air being used by by cooler is 8-12c hotter than room (tower coolers have 2-4c warmer air). Poor case airflow while gaming these air temps can be as high as 25-30c hotter than room. Reason is fan pushes air down through flat cooler hitting motherboard and turning out, hitting RAM, GPU, etc. turning up along side of cooler and fan where it is drawn right back into cooler. Tower coolers normally draw air in from front side of case and exhaust their heated air directly in front of case's rear exhaust vent. But even with tower cooler case needs to have good airflow and supply cooler with cool air.

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Really depends on what case, motherboard and RAM you have .. as well as how your case airflow is setup. Tower coolers (ones with side fans) almost always cool much better thean flat coolers. Reason is unless case has an vent with intake fan directly above cooler the air being used by by cooler is 8-12c hotter than room (tower coolers have 2-4c warmer air). Poor case airflow while gaming these air temps can be as high as 25-30c hotter than room. Reason is fan pushes air down through flat cooler hitting motherboard and turning out, hitting RAM, GPU, etc. turning up along side of cooler and fan where it is drawn right back into cooler. Tower coolers normally draw air in from front side of case and exhaust their heated air directly in front of case's rear exhaust vent. But even with tower cooler case needs to have good airflow and supply cooler with cool air.
Airflow is importnat. But, in my experience, the reason top down coolers have less relative cooling potential, is because they usually have smaller heatsinks. Tower designs are much easier to design with a relatively larger heatsink. That said, top down are absolutely fine, until you use a CPU which saturates the size of your heatsink.