• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best thermal compound?

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
6,781
So I and goign to reseat my cpu and HSF and want to get some good 'goo' I have AS5 on there now, and it doesnt work very good :p What is the best?
 
I use AS5 and I'm quite happy with it, but its very stiff and thick sometimes.

Are you sure the thermal compound is your real problem? From what I've read in reviews, the MX-2 is only 1-2 °C better than the AS5.
 
I use AS5 and I'm quite happy with it, but its very stiff and thick sometimes.

Are you sure the thermal compound is your real problem? From what I've read in reviews, the MX-2 is only 1-2 °C better than the AS5.

That could be the difference between 3.9 and 4.0ghz.

;)
 
Looks like tx2 beat mx2, so i ordered some of that...... When i seated my hsf originally, im 100% certain i used too much as5 as i went with a friends recommendation and not what online guide said :p
So the tx2 will be here tomorrow and we'll see hopefully i get this thing workign as it should cause the new system as it is today, is no better than my old amd athlon 64 x2 4000
 
I use Shin-Etsu x-23. Its kinda pricy and hard to find but cools 3-4 degrees better for me than as-5.
 
My neighbor works in the aerospace industry and he gave me a bit of TIM they bought from an outfit named TIM-Consultants. They bought a small tub of the stuff, but I discovered it is also available in traditional syringe to consumers. This TIM worked great for me. I’m not sure if it’s available from any on-line stores, but I found their website where you can get it. http://www.tim-consultants.com/products.html
 
Looks like tx2 beat mx2, so i ordered some of that...... When i seated my hsf originally, im 100% certain i used too much as5 as i went with a friends recommendation and not what online guide said :p
So the tx2 will be here tomorrow and we'll see hopefully i get this thing workign as it should cause the new system as it is today, is no better than my old amd athlon 64 x2 4000
I use MX2 and its great but you should be happy with TX2 also. Remember, don't put too much this time! :p
 
Yeah I use TX-2 now as well. Been using AS for the last 8 years but TX-2 seems to be a little better.
 
in head to head testing We tested the TX-2 Gelid Solutions GC1, Noctua's thermal paste, Thermalright's chill factor, and sock paste. All 4 of the aftermarket was within a degree of each other. The Gelid and the Noctua performed the best.
 
I use MX-2 also and my processor stays at pretty good temperatures even when it's hot as hell in the room both at full load and idling.
 
went from as5 to tx, dropped 10 degrees, but probably didnt seat to well 1st time.
 
I tried the IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound after reading a review that showed it beating out AS5 by a few degrees. I found it's incredibly hard to deal with, getting a good even thin coating on everything is incredibly difficult, its like stiff chewing gum when you squeeze it out of the tube.

Even though reviews say it cools well, I say it blows. Avoid.

MX2 gets my vote.
 
I would vote MX-2, no setting time and non-conductivity are the winning features.
 
I'm using the IC Diamond and didn't have those issues. Not to say that it isn't like stiff chewing gum, cause it is, but to say that I followed the recommended application instructions (small drop in center) and I'm getting great temps. Easily beat out ASC (another chewing gum), and the Zalman paint on (which, for the record, is the easiest to apply high-end TIM around). I've never used AS5 - something about highly conductive materials which I shy away from.

 
Back
Top