• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

best surge protector?

Vertigo Acid said:
So it's recommended to have the surge protector before the UPS?
confused.gif
I have it the other way around....
Inside the UPS, the surge protection circuitry comes before the UPS circuitry.
 
I thought a UPS, the standard APC ones for example, had a surge protector built into them, in addition to the power conditioning and battery backup features?

If so, why a second surge protector.
 
Even trhe best surge protectors don't work when there is lightening (lightening "burnt" my video card while the computer was attached to a very good IBM surge protector). Use a UPS. They work.
 
Yea I've heard that unless you have one of those hardcore UPS's that runs off a battery constantly, a direct lightening hit cannot be stopped. Saying this, what's the point of using a Surge Protector in addition to a UPS instead of just the UPS? Additional surge protection, despite the fact a direct hit cannot be stopped?
 
n64man120 said:
I thought a UPS, the standard APC ones for example, had a surge protector built into them, in addition to the power conditioning and battery backup features?

If so, why a second surge protector.
APC UPS's have very good "built-in" surge protection &
you do not need or want any other surge protectors before or after the UPS.

This is the rule, the exception is a "Brick Wall" prior to the UPS, but those cost more than the UPS!

Dave ;)
 
OK, I know there are a lot of messages in this thread. But, I had read an article about a surge protector that used 5 different types of surge protectors. Each was used to counter the disadvantages of the other. I'm looking for something under $125 US. I know the brand name was something close to Tripp Lite but I can't remember.
 
forumposter32 said:
OK, I know there are a lot of messages in this thread. But, I had read an article about a surge protector that used 5 different types of surge protectors. Each was used to counter the disadvantages of the other. I'm looking for something under $125 US. I know the brand name was something close to Tripp Lite but I can't remember.
Are you sure it wasn't Tripp Lite? The closest thing to Tripp Lite that I know of is Tripp Lite. ;)
 
Back
Top