Best streaming device?

Does anyone recommended Amazon Fire Stick for streaming? We have a home theater projector we just got that we'd like to use with our Fire Stick with but seeking advice!

Thank you!

Last edited:
The new one yes it's a good option. I use one to side load certain android apps. There are better options like the sheild but it costs quite a bit more. Roku are nice as well

I have a Firestick, I like it. Ive had it for a couple of months now. Never any problems streaming, its very snappy compared to my old Sony 3500 BR player.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Seems like Roku is pretty popular -- any specific reason why preferable to Fire Stick?

And not sure if anyone might know the answer to this question since it's specific to the projector, but I have a Ben Q projector and I'm not sure the USB Port has enough power for the Fire Stick as I've heard it can be pretty power-hungry.

I am a Roku guy as well, but mainly because I had a 2 before the fire stuff came out and then upgraded to 3s. I think they are a little more open from a apps sense unless you want to side load Android stuff.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Seems like Roku is pretty popular -- any specific reason why preferable to Fire Stick?

And not sure if anyone might know the answer to this question since it's specific to the projector, but I have a Ben Q projector and I'm not sure the USB Port has enough power for the Fire Stick as I've heard it can be pretty power-hungry.
It needs 1.5 so unless it's a usb 3.0 or a ss port

Depends on your needs. Something cheap and easy to use: Roku, Fire Stick, or Apple TV. If you want to get something with more power/futureproof, I would get the Nvidia Shield TV. It was the only item that can do 4k and has Dolby Atmos audio passthrough.

Roku Premium with 2 x $159 8TB WD Red NAS hard drives with your ripped DVD and Blu-ray movies.

I have a feeling the Apple TV is going to get an UHD refresh, so I'm tempted to wait to see if that pops up. If so its good bye HTPC for me.

I now want to try a Roku out for sure! I got to try the Fire Stick on my BenQ projector but I got an error saying "insufficient USB power detected" so I'm assuming that'll be an issue with a Roku as well.

I saw some cool videos with streaming devices being connected to projectors so I'm pretty bummed out about this although I've been thinking of just getting a new one anyway, money is always the issue though. I might just go for something low-cost like AAXA since I know their stuff works with streaming devices (or so I've seen) without any issues although you can't go wrong with Epson. Anyone have any experience with AAXA's products? They don't seem to be too big of a company so I'm a bit weary.

Definitely appreciate all the feedback!

I now want to try a Roku out for sure! I got to try the Fire Stick on my BenQ projector but I got an error saying "insufficient USB power detected" so I'm assuming that'll be an issue with a Roku as well.

I saw some cool videos with streaming devices being connected to projectors so I'm pretty bummed out about this although I've been thinking of just getting a new one anyway, money is always the issue though. I might just go for something low-cost like AAXA since I know their stuff works with streaming devices (or so I've seen) without any issues although you can't go wrong with Epson. Anyone have any experience with AAXA's products? They don't seem to be too big of a company so I'm a bit weary.

Definitely appreciate all the feedback!

Roku won't use the USB port. It will output using HDMI.

Love my amazon fire tv's. I have the first gen and 2nd gen. And the first gen stick. I would recommend the fire tv 2nd gen since it is by far the fastest. Can sideload kodi and has every streaming service native. remote is very intuitive too.

Shield TV is great but it's pricey. It's so fast whipping through the menus, I love it. We have Roku Premier+ also which works well and half the cost of the Shield.

I've got no complaints with my Fire TV box. It does 4K and I popped in a 200GB microSD card. Fast performance!

I have tried NVidia, it is great, but for most everything we use Roku, I have a total of 16 of them between my dad's setup and mine, they run great. We have from the sticks to the Roku 4, they all run Plex flawlessly.

Roku won't use the USB port. It will output using HDMI.
Personally, I don't think a big difference between Roku or Firestick. Also, both companies are pretty innovative, meaning they will continue upgrading and providing good stuff.
I have an AAXA M5. It's fairly priced and performs well enough in my dorm. You can use a Fire Stick to plug in or chrome cast to mirror your phone/pad. Some videos you can check out:

Personally, I don't think a big difference between Roku or Firestick. Also, both companies are pretty innovative, meaning they will continue upgrading and providing good stuff.
I have an AAXA M5. It's fairly priced and performs well enough in my dorm. You can use a Fire Stick to plug in or chrome cast to mirror your phone/pad. Some videos you can check out:

Hi Takera,

Thanks for sharing. It looks cool. How does the M5 perform in other aspects, like resolution? Also, how about the product quality? Why did you initially chose this one rather than BenQ or Optoma? Sorry for all these questions, but I just want to make sure I purchase a worthy product.

Hi Takera,

Thanks for sharing. It looks cool. How does the M5 perform in other aspects, like resolution? Also, how about the product quality? Why did you initially chose this one rather than BenQ or Optoma? Sorry for all these questions, but I just want to make sure I purchase a worthy product.
Well, BenQ and Optoma are both highly recognized brands in the display industry. But AAXA is also a well-respected company in Pico Projector industry, specifically. They have launched many products since many years ago. M5 is one of the recent models. You can find some highly reviewed models if you check review sites like Projector Central, Best Reviews.

In fact, I also checked Optoma ML550, ML750 before I decided to purchase M5. The size of both Optoma models is compelling. But M5 is still manageable if product size is not a priority. I found this Youtube video and realized that M5 looks better in terms of throw ratio, brightness, resolution, and built-in battery (which Optoma doesn't have). Hope this is helpful.

Well, BenQ and Optoma are both highly recognized brands in the display industry. But AAXA is also a well-respected company in Pico Projector industry, specifically. They have launched many products since many years ago. M5 is one of the recent models. You can find some highly reviewed models if you check review sites like Projector Central, Best Reviews.

In fact, I also checked Optoma ML550, ML750 before I decided to purchase M5. The size of both Optoma models is compelling. But M5 is still manageable if product size is not a priority. I found this Youtube video and realized that M5 looks better in terms of throw ratio, brightness, resolution, and built-in battery (which Optoma doesn't have). Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for sharing! I have to say I didn't expect that AAXA M5 has such a good performance.

For ease and simplicity I'd say the Roku...I've used the firestick and other small devices but thier simply too slow for me. The newer high end Roku's are incredibly responsive, I've heard good things about the shield and am looking into one myself for emulation.

I have a Roku 3 and an Nvidia Shield TV. The Shield TV is more powerful by far, but I prefer the Roku's UI.

It's very helpful to see your votes here. Thank all of you. Now Roku got the majority, haha. I hope this vote continue!

Another Roku user here... I like Roku because you side step some amazon / google hate each-other nonsense going w/ the Roku.

also I can use my harmony remotes w/ it... fast interface , easy interface... my wife likes it.. what is not to like..

I run a Nvidia Shield set-top for my 55"and a Roku Premier in the bedroom. I'm super happy with both.

Game streaming from my rig upstairs to the couch downstairs is also super nice on the Shield.

Been using Roku since 2009, FireTV since 2014. Have both STB and stick versions of both. (no UHD, just 1080)

I prefer using the FireTV. But have to keep the Roku for VUDU/UV content and a better MLB app.

I love my nVidia Shield. Fast through Kodi menus and is great at streaming games from the gaming rig, Xbox one, and ps4.

new firetv just around the corner as well. I really enjoy my firetv. But new apple 4k tv does look nice.But I'm holding out for new firetv.

I wish the new Apple TV4K started at $149. They should have just lowered the 4 to $119 or so.
But seeing they kept it at $149, I guess I could get a decent amount for one of mine.
anyone want to buy a slightly used Apple TV4? lol

My Fire TV box and stick work great, except with Netfilx. Every time I try to watch, the video hangs at 25% to 83% while the audio plays without delay. Pretty frustrating. I might try the 4K AppleTV.

Back