Best stable board for Opteron 165 still available?

Whitewolf

Limp Gawd
I just found a Opty 165 that I had bought over a year ago that I forgot I had.
Steppings are CCB1E 0609FPMW
Also have OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K that had purchased at the same time that never got used.

I just looked on all the major websites and didnt see any good stable overclocking boards that I recognized.
I saw some good ones on ebay but not sure if want to take the risk of buying there.

This be a backup system so dont need killer OC. I think most these chips were getting 2.9 plus so if can get 2.7 that be great. Since it another backup system would like it stable as most important thing.

Thanks for the input. :)

I'd say one of the Asus A8N boards or the DFI Lanparty boards are your best bets. Probably a little pricey though. Not sure what kind of stock is still out there on those if you're looking to buy a new board. If you're not a big ebay guy, I'd look in a FS/FT thread and just buy one from a reputable seller with good Heatware. I've never had a problem buying from guys here and to the best of my knowledge, no one's ever had a problem buy from me either :).

Personally, I ran a Opty 165 in a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D board for a long time. Still runs there now as my brother's computer.

Ive got the same proc as you (CCB1E) and using a DFI nF4 lanparty ultra-d. It's OCed to 2.8 on air for about a year now and no problems.

For overclocking, nothing ever beat the DFI ultra-D, SLi-D,SLi-DR, eXpert, eXpert venus (most rare, mobos from DFI all under the lanparty name, you could also add that one crossfire 939 board to the list of top overclockers (CFX3200-DR/G). All of them were the best for socket 939 and overclocking, But im guessing you can't find any of them on newegg anymore, especially the last one which for a while was selling at a very low price.

Ebay is your friend on this one I guess, AMD had to cut off the 939 gravy train for socket AM2.

I agree, the Ultra-D is a great board, but picky with parts. Socket 939 reached EOL in January'07, so not many places have s939 boards left in stock. If you have a CompUSA around you, they may have some. When they were going out of business in my area, they were sellin Ultra-Ds and SLI-Ds for like $80. I guess I shoulda picked one up, but this was about a year ago and I didnt know s939 was dying so soon, lol.

AMD has learned its lesson from s939, and now all newer CPUs will be backwards compatible with socket AM2. In other words, AM2+ and AM3 CPUs will still work in AM2 boards.

Hm... just did some searches:
$85 - K8N Neo4-F nForce4 939 ATX Motherboard: http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0253219

TD search:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1569&

I'd go for the A8N SLI board if going with TD.

Egghunt:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deValue=719:26653&PropertyCodeValue=719:21480

I'm using the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS, and it can take my 3800+ X2 to 2.6Ghz.

I'm considering selling my Ultra D. Shoot me a PM if you wanna discuss it.

Edit.. It has the SLI mod done to it.

Thanks for all the advise everyone. :)
I still am thinking I want to get a new board and not risk a used one.

I see that Newegg brought back the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 though it is out of stock. :D
Think I might get that if it gets back in stock.

I have a brand new, still-in-the-box Ultra-D that I bought from Newegg a while back.... send me a PM if you think you're interested.

Back