Best SSD under $125 for my gaming?

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to get a new SSD for playing my favorite games from. So I am mostly looking for fast read speeds, since game loading is all I'm going to use it for. Write times are pretty irrelevant.

I'll be using it on my Asus Rampage III Formula
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Rampage_III_Formula/

So I want to make sure I have the fastest interface possible for bandwidth.

My budget is about $125, and I could go up to 150 if it would really be worthwhile for the extra cash.

I want to get a new SSD for playing my favorite games from. So I am mostly looking for fast read speeds, since game loading is all I'm going to use it for. Write times are pretty irrelevant.

I'll be using it on my Asus Rampage III Formula
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Rampage_III_Formula/

So I want to make sure I have the fastest interface possible for bandwidth.

My budget is about $125, and I could go up to 150 if it would really be worthwhile for the extra cash.

A 256gb M4 or 830 would be sweet if you can find it on sale. I have the 128gb and while cheaper, the size really sucks and has me needing more.

A 256gb M4 or 830 would be sweet if you can find it on sale.

I second that. Sale prices for the 256GB M4 are usually near enough to $150 to consider.

I second that. Sale prices for the 256GB M4 are usually near enough to $150 to consider.

Can anyone recommend a website that sends you an alert if the price of an item, in this case the 256 GB M4, drops below a certain amount?

You can put that SSD in your wish list on newegg and if it goes one sale, free shipping, ect you will get an email telling you that one of your items on your wish list has a special going for it. its not fool proof because you may get an email saying it has free shipping... just a thought though.

Can anyone recommend a website that sends you an alert if the price of an item, in this case the 256 GB M4, drops below a certain amount?

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-...d-state-drive-ssd/221150375.html?listingId=-1

159.99 w/ free shipping. In the future simply find any part you want on newegg etc and look for the manufacturer part number (CT256M4SSD2 in this case) and google it in http://www.google.com/shopping and it will tell you the best current price.

slickdeals.net. Just check it a few times a day, or set an alert for the M4 or 830. They're on sale a lot recently.

There's the Front Page, Trending Deals and Popular Deals.

Is your OS on the Intel SSD, and are you keeping it there? If you are just going to use the new one for games you could probably get away with a 128 or 160GB drive and save some money.

If it's to be used as a second drive (but I would do the opposite and split games between the new fastest drive with OS and the old Intel) you could do a real life benchmark of your games comparing an Intel SATA 2 port and a Marvell SATA 3 port. For your usage it's possible the Marvell could be better.

I actually like that idea. I'm not really following you on the Intel Sata 2 vs Marvell Sata 3 though. They run on different controllers? On the same mobo?

Yeah, some ports belong to one controller, others to the secondary controller.

Anyway, in addition to Newegg's wishlist alerts (which work real well), Slickdeals, and the Hot Deals section here, I'd highly recommend CamelCamelCamel.com ... It's not so essential for Newegg since their site already lets you set price alerts (and notifies you of any sort of deal or promo code for wishlist items), but it's totally awesome for monitoring Amazon prices since they don't provide any of that functionality. It's also great for checking price history on anything at either Amazon or the Egg.

I went thru the same process recently, started out sorta looking at 256GB drive prices but then I resized I'd probably end up keeping my existing 128GB 830 rather than selling it... Then I thought about it some more and I figured it'd make no difference whether I had 256+128 or 128+128; either way I can fit all my apps and way more games than what I'll be playing concurrently at any given time. So I started stalking deals on a second 128GB 830, missed like the first three or four I read or got emailed about but I eventually caught one for $70.

Back