Best Socket 478 motheboard

Gutlass Cutlass

Limp Gawd
Looking to upgrade my my mobo I have a P4 Northwood 2.66. What is a really good mobo. I'll do some light over =clockin. I also want something that will work with my ram I got ddr 333 thanks

DFI doesn't make a S478 motherboard, do they? I was really looking for a good mobo for my 3.2E that would allow for good overclocking. Would the Abit mobos be the best choice for that, or maybe an Asus P4C800 series?

Thanks

Yes, the ASUS boards are very nice too.

Either would be a good sound decision.

For light overclocking, I'd recommend an IC7, IC7-G, or an ASUS 875P board. Stay away from the MSI 875P Neo, I had nothing but problems with that board. ;)

I'd recommend the Abit over the Asus, hands-down. I've lost three P4P800 Deluxes (865PE chipset) when the memory controllers died- all three went the same way, over the course of two years. The last one wasn't even overclocked, since my parents were using it.

DFI does make both a 865 and 875 based boards. I think the 875 was a LanParty while the 865 was one of the Infinity boards.

If you're into trying something different, ASUS makes the P4GD1 which has s478 and PCI-E with the 915P chipset.

I'm not sure about that one, kirbyrj. I think the 9xx chipsets only support Prescott, which means that the P4GD1 has very limited processor support.

i have an abit ic7 g max 2 advance and its great. if you can find a abit ic7 max 3 also nice i hardly see them any more though.

Personally, I would go with a Abit IC7-G or one of those later models. I find the lack of ethernet on the regular IC7 annoying, even though I can just add a PCI card.

If you do get the Abit board, you might want to check the chipset heatsink on those. The early ones were quite loud for their size IMO. Abit fixed the design with later models, so they're a little taller and less noisy.

kirbyrj said:
DFI does make both a 865 and 875 based boards. I think the 875 was a LanParty while the 865 was one of the Infinity boards.

Yeah, figured that out now. Turns out that Newegg has 2 socket 370 P3 boards and a bunch of LGA775 boards by DFI, but none of the S478 offerings, while ZipZoomFly has 4 S478s. What's up Newegg? You guys would get 100% of my business if you'd carry the product I'm looking for.

Oh well, I'm not really going to buy a new S478/AGP board.That would be a mistake, I think. I'll upgrade all at once, which will be painful, but if I can make a 3.2E/1GB Ram/6800 GT last 2 more years I'll come into some money during college and can make a NEW good system.

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Yeah, figured that out now. Turns out that Newegg has 2 socket 370 P3 boards and a bunch of LGA775 boards by DFI, but none of the S478 offerings, while ZipZoomFly has 4 S478s. What's up Newegg? You guys would get 100% of my business if you'd carry the product I'm looking for.

Oh well, I'm not really going to buy a new S478/AGP board.That would be a mistake, I think. I'll upgrade all at once, which will be painful, but if I can make a 3.2E/1GB Ram/6800 GT last 2 more years I'll come into some money during college and can make a NEW good system.

Something else you might think about is the ASUS P4GD1 which is s478 and PCIe. Plus, you can get the CT-479 adapter to run PentiumM's if that's something you want to try. Might be fun to play with plus it is upgradeable :).

-mogwai said:
i'm looking to sell my ic7-g for cheap... any takers?

Try the FS/FT forum. I'll be someone would buy that off you for cheap ;). I'd think about it depending on how cheap :D.

saturnine2 said:
For light overclocking, I'd recommend an IC7, IC7-G, or an ASUS 875P board. Stay away from the MSI 875P Neo, I had nothing but problems with that board. ;)
My 875P Neo2 -P works flawless i also have a IC7-G Max II also works flawless but had it recent . Both are great how ever Bio upgrade on the Abit IC7-G is a real pain in the a...... compare with MSI matter of fact i have not being able to do any upgrades yet it keeps telling me my software is outdated even if i just downloaded from Abit.

compslckr said:
my it7 max-2 v2 was an amazing motherboard

I had one of those too...I liked it a lot. It ran fine for about a year and a half and then I sold it to my uncle. I should see if he'll sell it back to me :cool: .

i have an abit ic7-g max two advance and i love it. the chipset fan did go out on me but no problems since that. its rock stable. i havent overclocked it. as the gentlman posted above i hardly see the max threes anymore. frys still has the abit ic7 -g max two advance. :D

Abit IC7 is the best P4 Socket 478 mobo I've ever seen. My friend had one for like 2 yeras and NEVER had problems with it. Has 2.8ghz p4 (he got it when 2.8ghz first came out)

my favorite is the abit IC-7g . i had one and it was a great overclocker had my trusty p4c 2.4 running at 3.6g and later overclocked a 2.4a presshot to 3.88g with a xp120 thermalright and bh-5 ram. the xp-120 is a tight fit though.

if i was going to build a new setup though --unless i allready had a Killer 8x agp card i would move on to pci-express.

albatron makes a 478 socket pci express motherbord. the egg has um and they overclock pretty good too.

for a all new build though you can't beat a a-64 with the nf4 . but i would guess it depends most on what kind of system parts you allready have to work with .i upgraded my ic-7g

for a-64 and asus a8n-sli . however i might have been $$$ ahead and got a decent boost from just going to the albatron 478/pci express mb and useing my old 2.4c . the biggest boost in in the pci express = x800pro type videocards .

the nforce4 has other good things like it can rune dual core / native sata 2 ect ect-- but that might be beyond the scope of just a simple upgrade of the MB--LOL

i hate to sound like a salesman for the egg-- but i have bought a few of the albatrons from them for $99 in socket 478 --you should check it out if your intrested in pci express---

JSF35rhino said:
my favorite is the abit IC-7g . i had one and it was a great overclocker had my trusty p4c 2.4 running at 3.6g and later overclocked a 2.4a presshot to 3.88g with a xp120 thermalright and bh-5 ram. the xp-120 is a tight fit though.

if i was going to build a new setup though --unless i allready had a Killer 8x agp card i would move on to pci-express.

albatron makes a 478 socket pci express motherbord. the egg has um and they overclock pretty good too.

for a all new build though you can't beat a a-64 with the nf4 . but i would guess it depends most on what kind of system parts you allready have to work with .i upgraded my ic-7g

for a-64 and asus a8n-sli . however i might have been $$$ ahead and got a decent boost from just going to the albatron 478/pci express mb and useing my old 2.4c . the biggest boost in in the pci express = x800pro type videocards .

the nforce4 has other good things like it can rune dual core / native sata 2 ect ect-- but that might be beyond the scope of just a simple upgrade of the MB--LOL

i hate to sound like a salesman for the egg-- but i have bought a few of the albatrons from them for $99 in socket 478 --you should check it out if your intrested in pci express---

I didn't know there were any s478 boards with PCIe other than the ASUS. Does 915P work with Northwood or just Prescott s478?

the albatron i was referring to was produced for just that.

run a northwood on pci-express . although a prescott will run fine also.

the socket 478/pci-express should give you the cake and let you eat it too.
as far as i know newegg is one of the few places that have them . last time i looked they were $99.00

if i was building a new system and really in to overclocking i would go the DFI lanparty/AMD thing.LOL :cool:

Back