Best small PSU?

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
So here's the thing. My parents insisted on getting a Dell computer a while back. And of course it comes with the usual 300 watt piece of crap in a cramped case. I'd like to upgrade the PSU, otherwise it won't be able to support a decent graphics card. I'm thinking of sticking a gtx 260 in there. But if I want to upgrade the PSU I don't even know what would fit. At the time they bought the system it came with a decent cpu, core 2 e8400. But I don't remember what case it uses exactly. I'm not home right now. Any recommendation for a psu that would fit into one of those cases? Possibly 450w and quality make?

Which Dell model is it? Is it one of those slimline PCs or just a regular ATX case?

Depending on which case it is, there's various choices. Of course, if it was the slimline model, your choices are a bit limited but if it was a standard ATX case, you can pretty much fit any ATX sized PSU in there.

I have a Dell Inspiron 518 which came with a crappy 300w PSU and I easily replaced it with a Enhance 500W PSU that I bought on this forum. For the GTX 260, you should be looking for something in the same range as mine.

We're going to need to know what the PSU form factor is and roughly how much space there is before we can give you any real suggestions.

Yeah OP, you're gonna have to be a lot more specific as "cramped Dell case" doesn't tell us ANYTHING about the PSU form factor in the case.

Also, a budget range would help as well.

Dell has 5 generic scenario

1. SFF or even smaller (atleast 2 types)
2. SLIM
3. DESKTOP (please note some Insipiron models, though advertised as desktop, the physical case is actually belonging to MT)
4. MT
5. others (XPS/Precision/PowerEdge/misc)
-these describe the recent Dell, not the 7-years+ old models.

The easier one is type MT because it usually follows general convention. XPS/Precision/misc should be able too but sometimes need careful check 1st. Type 3 Desktop is the one you need to be careful as some of them come as FAT-L-Shape PSU casing, not the standard square box found for all 3rd party PSU.

One more thing, Dell has done homework on its designs (airflow,hole-opening,specialized fan position) and usually they are very quiet for standard models. Take this into account when replacing parts.

Finally, if you are able to fit a GTX-260, it must be at the minimum type MT, XPS or Precision, so you can ignore most of my previous points, but I find it too hard to erase my already written prose. :)

Cheers

It was a Dell Inspiron 530.
As far as budget, I'm able to afford a quality PSU.
Just want one that will fit in the case with no problems and can power a 260 plus the e8400, optical disk, 3 hds, and soundcard without issue. The case is really cramped imo because it would be a pain/probably not possible to even try to mount a proper HSF on the cpu other than the included one.

There's a picture here. But the outside understates the lack of interior room!
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2328605,00.asp

INSPIRON-530-7B.jpg

Looks like standard ATX. Can you measure the existing power supply? Or is the supply shorter than normal?

PS I have a spare PCPnC 750w crossfire ready psu, but I don't think that will fit in there. Modular would be a nice plus because of the aforementioned cramped conditions.

As drescherjm said, please measure the length of the existing PSU in the case.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend the Corsair 400w or 450W for your needs.

I have an inspiron 530 and i can tell you it does in fact, fit a standard ATX PSU. I have a Thermaltake 550 in there right now.

Well in that case, pick up this PSU and you'll be set:
$57 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

The Neo Eco line is just rebranded NeoPowers aren't they? If memory serves me right they were old style seasonics?

Yes thats how it looks! You can see what I mean now by cramped.

Well in that case, pick up this PSU and you'll be set:
$57 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU

Looks nice. Does it come in a modular version?

Would a BFG MX 550 be a good choice? is there any other completely modular power supply in that size range?
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2009/01/21/bfg_mx_series_power_supplies_550w_680w

Oof can't find it in stock anywheres. :p

Also what about the Antec Neo HE series. They are modular aren't they? can I get away with a 430W psu?
http://www.frys.com/product/6208720

Or how about this one.
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfge550wpsu.aspx

Last edited:
why did they discontinue the mx 550 if it was reportedly such a good unit?
are bfg psus bad?

ok more psus
TT 450w modular?
http://www.provantage.com/thermaltake-w0146ru~7THER04Q.htm

Antec neo power 500w modular?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103940

oooh SHINY! how bout this kingwin modular?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

But how do i know what size these psu are? i want something the size of the neo eco but modular. that one is 5.9 x 5.9 x 3.4
The kingwin measures - 6 3/8"(161 mm) L x 5 7/8"(150 mm) W x 3 3/8"(85 mm) H. Is that gonna be a problem?

Last edited:
Ok, I went with the kingwin 600 since it has the same dimensions as the tt550 and apparently that fits the case for astronomica. and i got $10 bing cash back so this psu only ends up costing $55 plus shipping! bad move? but it's so shiny! :D

why did they discontinue the mx 550 if it was reportedly such a good unit?
are bfg psus bad?
Not all of them. The MX-550 was a good PSU. Main reason, from what I can tell, as to why BFG had a dryup of their quality PSU lines was that their PSUs weren't selling. Main reason why their PSUs weren't selling was due to a lack of marketing budget. The fact that BFG has left the GPU business is another good sign that the business was in trouble. Other signs include the layoff of the entire marketing team for BFG and jonnyGURU.

So in other words, the MX, LS, and ES lines of PSUs weren't bad at all. Just poor business and marketing killed them.

Nope. For future reference, avoid any Thermaltake PSU that's part of the TR2 line. That's TT's low quality PSU line.
Close to 5 years old now. Not a very solid choice.
Can't find any info on that Kingwin. Don't get it till you get actual confirmation that it's good. Otherwise, you're being a noob.

But how do i know what size these psu are? i want something the size of the neo eco but modular. that one is 5.9 x 5.9 x 3.4
The kingwin measures - 6 3/8"(161 mm) L x 5 7/8"(150 mm) W x 3 3/8"(85 mm) H. Is that gonna be a problem?
Again, measure the PSU in that Dell to get an idea of what can and cannot fit.

Last edited:
Hmm i saved 20 bucks with the kingwin mach1 vs getting the m12. Hopefully i got an ok psu for the money. thanks for the help all.

Ok, I went with the kingwin 600 since it has the same dimensions as the tt550 and apparently that fits the case for astronomica. and i got $10 bing cash back so this psu only ends up costing $55 plus shipping! bad move? but it's so shiny! :D

Hmm i saved 20 bucks with the kingwin mach1 vs getting the m12. Hopefully i got an ok psu for the money. thanks for the help all.

Well found some info about the Kingwin: Avoid. It looks like that Kingwin 600W is based on the same design as this Kingwin 800W:
http://hardocp.com/article/2007/10/24/kingwin_abt800ma1s_mach_1_800w_psu/

Transient load testing results weren't that good IMO, efficiency was crap, and the PSU was insanely hot. So bad move man. The fact that you have a cramped case further amplifies the higher internal temps of that PSU. As such, that PSU is not gonna last that long. In other words, you just wasted $55.

20+ post and no one recommended what you bought. Why did you post here? You were given excellent advice back in post 13.

Good lord, that Kingwin looks horrid. And such low efficiency and in a cramped case, that's going to get things heated up a lot, and if it has Fuhjyyu caps... Accident waiting to happen. :(

Poor efficiancy, no PFC, and Fuhjyyu caps? Sounds like a certain Antec PSU i've been using for 5 years :D

Again, I'm going to say Corsair 400w.

$30 after rebate from one of the most reliable PSU manufacturers praised on this forum; you can't complain!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

I've heard people run Core-i7s and beefy 48xx cards on this, no problem. Much cheaper and reliable than the Kingwin. Who cares about how shiny it is if you can't see the inside of your dell case?

Well found some info about the Kingwin: Avoid. It looks like that Kingwin 600W is based on the same design as this Kingwin 800W:
http://hardocp.com/article/2007/10/24/kingwin_abt800ma1s_mach_1_800w_psu/

Transient load testing results weren't that good IMO, efficiency was crap, and the PSU was insanely hot. So bad move man. The fact that you have a cramped case further amplifies the higher internal temps of that PSU. As such, that PSU is not gonna last that long. In other words, you just wasted $55.

Well that's too bad. I should have spent the extra 20 bucks for the M12. TD didn't sell any seasonics and i wanted to save some cash since this isn't for my own computer. Oh well, I'll just have to learn from this. don't buy PSUs late at night when you're feeling impatient and just want to buy something. LOL.

20+ post and no one recommended what you bought. Why did you post here? You were given excellent advice back in post 13.

It had what I wanted except that it wasn't modular.

Poor efficiancy, no PFC, and Fuhjyyu caps? Sounds like a certain Antec PSU i've been using for 5 years :D

Did it blow up your computer or did it run good enough for your stuff to work?

Last edited:

Using a shitty PSU with Fuhjyyu caps is like playing Russian roulette. You might get lucky and then again, you might not. Why should people gamble when they don't have to? The concensus is that manufacturers should refrain from using those caps in PSUs, but some still use them. I'll never buy anything with that garbage in it.

Using a shitty PSU with Fuhjyyu caps is like playing Russian roulette. You might get lucky and then again, you might not. Why should people gamble when they don't have to? The concensus is that manufacturers should refrain from using those caps in PSUs, but some still use them. I'll never buy anything with that garbage in it.
If you want to gamble, come visit me, I live in Las Vegas! But with a PSU's ability to effect all aspects of operation, including destroying GPU's, this is not the place to gamble.:)

It's mediocre. Why do you keep looking at bottom-of-the-barrel PSUs? Why don't you just listen to the recommendations that have been given to you?

Again, I'm going to say Corsair 400w.

$30 after rebate from one of the most reliable PSU manufacturers praised on this forum; you can't complain!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

I've heard people run Core-i7s and beefy 48xx cards on this, no problem. Much cheaper and reliable than the Kingwin. Who cares about how shiny it is if you can't see the inside of your dell case?

Don't you need 2x 6 pin pcie connectors for a 260? I'd also like it to be modular.

It's mediocre. Why do you keep looking at bottom-of-the-barrel PSUs? Why don't you just listen to the recommendations that have been given to you?

My criteria would be:
modular
compact size
modern design
reliable
reasonable price

There have been a lot of psus suggested that don't fit all the criteria. particularly the modular one.
and the m12 is what 5 year old design? i find it hard to believe that I can't find a psu around 500w that was released recently that would fit these criteria for a reasonable price.
ok so I goofed on the kingwin. I thought if it was anything like the bigger models reviewed in this forum it would be decent, obviously it turns out that it's not.
doesn't mean that I can't keep looking for something better.

Last edited:
Who says the 750W Silencer is obsolete? It's still a very good PSU, and the only thing it lacks in is efficiency which is still acceptable.

Back