Best SMALL psu for mATX case?

dirtypop

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a small PSU for a beefy mATX gaming rig. I'm guessing I'm stuck with an ATX psu (which WILL fit my case, btw) but I wonder if there is one with slightly smaller dimensions than average.... It has to be enough wattage to power a quad core and a mean GPU (or GX2 or SLi, potentially) and modular, too. Any suggestions? (The rest of the system is pretty barebones: one raptor hdd, one cd drive, sound card, one case fan.)

I'm looking for a small PSU for a beefy mATX gaming rig. I'm guessing I'm stuck with an ATX psu (which WILL fit my case, btw) but I wonder if there is one with slightly smaller dimensions than average.... It has to be enough wattage to power a quad core and a mean GPU (or GX2 or SLi, potentially) and modular, too. Any suggestions? (The rest of the system is pretty barebones: one raptor hdd, one cd drive, sound card, one case fan.)

At least of the ones available on newegg.com, most mATX PSUs are not good enough for gaming rigs. Meaning that they are either of low quality or have low amperage on the +12V rail. In addition, none of the mATX PSUs on newegg.com are modular. You're gonna have a hard time finding an excellent quality mATX modular PSU.

I say just get a Corsair 520HX and call it a day.

At least of the ones available on newegg.com, most mATX PSUs are not good enough for gaming rigs. Meaning that they are either of low quality or have low amperage on the +12V rail. In addition, none of the mATX PSUs on newegg.com are modular. You're gonna have a hard time finding an excellent quality mATX modular PSU.

I say just get a Corsair 520HX and call it a day.

+1 to everything he said. You just won't find quality rails, modularity, or fat 12V rails on undersized PSUs.

It wont fit all of your needs, but if you can find it the Shuttle PSU's are the best smaller form factor PSU's you will get. The 400W unit is very conservatively rated and should run a Quad and one good GPU.

Back