Best "small" gaming laptop?

How about my Dell Precision M70 that I modded a 7800GTX go into? It has a 15" screen and weighs about 7lbs, so does it count as a good "small" gaming laptop?

How about my Dell Precision M70 that I modded a 7800GTX go into? It has a 15" screen and weighs about 7lbs, so does it count as a good "small" gaming laptop?
that doesn't have much to do with the discussion, unfortunately, since the M70 isn't for sale anymore

Found this ASUS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220137
A8JS-4S024C

Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.0ghz)
1x 1GB DDR2 667
14" WXGA
512MB GeForce 7700

$1,548

Looks like it might be one of the best options in terms of portable gaming laptops.

I mentioned that model on 3-16-07. I got mine the 19th, and after approx 3 weeks of ownership, I am extremely pleased with it. Its actually WXGA+ which places it in a little higher bracket.

This is not a top-end be all, end all gaming machine. This is a portable machine which can play any game out there at reasonable framerates that doesnt cost over 2 grand.

This machine is the rough equivalent of a 2 1/2 year old top-end gaming machine in an extrememly portable package.

I play BF2, BF2142, source engine games, Quake4 with plenty of eye candy at native resolutions averaging 40+ fps in a firefight.

My only gripe is with the CTRL key placement, the FN key is at the farthest left of the keyboard, not what I am used to, so re-mapping is a must.

Is this the Best machine for gaming? No, there are better, but when you visit the relatives or the in-laws, or on the lunchbreak, this thing can't be beat.

I mentioned that model on 3-16-07.
Sure enough. I obviously didn't file that one away to long term memory :eek:

Is this the Best machine for gaming? No, there are better, but when you visit the relatives or the in-laws, or on the lunchbreak, this thing can't be beat.
That's just it. I'm gonna be carrying around my laptop a lot. I think the size difference between a 17" model and a 14" model would be worth the downgrade from a 7900 to a 7700...

Second thought:

The damn 8600 series hanging out in the near future makes this decision a bit harder. Probably slightly worse performance, but DX10 ability.

Back