Best setup under $150

Just need a set of computer speakers or a receiver and set of speakers. Looking for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup. Anything good in that price range?

Unless you can find a really good deal on a decent receiver (I've seen a few good deals floating around set for Black Friday, engadget has a sale guide) and bookshelf speakers (which will undoubtedly sound better than ANY computer speaker setup) I think your best best is going to be either a;

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup (which I use on my own pc) - http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers - $150 + tax (I'm assuming) and free shipping.
(If you don't mind a refurbished product Cowboom.com which is owned by Bestbuy often has them listed there for under $100)

or the

Logitech Z623 2.1 setup (my gf uses these and we both agree that we like the Promedia set up just a bit more, still pretty solid for the price though). - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121048 - $140 + tax AND shipping.

You might also want to look into Corsair's new line of computer speakers. I haven't had a chance to check these out personally yet but they seem to be getting reviews favorable enough to be listed in the same group as the above mentioned setups (not to mention Corsair has RARELY EVER disappointed me). Corsair also seems to be having a sale on them.

Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2200 2.1 setup - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852002 - $60 + tax and free shipping.
(This is down from $100. Also there is a $15 rebate so your end cost would be $45 + tax.)

and

Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 2.1 setup - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001 - $200 + tax and free shipping.
(A bit over budget... And it gets really hard to look away from a receiver/bookshelf setup when you start getting to the $200 range, but I thought I would throw this in as it's on sale and I'm intrigued by them, lol. They're down from $250).

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
I will HEAVILY endorse the M-Audio AV30 / AV40 offerings.

They both are excellent for music, and bestbuy has the AV30s on sale right now for $70. Theyre VERY good for music. Not amazing for games, but not bad either. Seriously, studio monitors or bookshelf speakers are going to sound many fold better than "PC speakers".

edit: Swan are very good too, in my experience. Jon at TheAudioInsider is GREAT to work with, and I purchased my entire home theater through him.

AV40 over anything Logitech IMO... Unless it's purely for gaming and no music and you just want a room shaking yet sloppy sub. Samson's StudioDock line is another alternative to M-Audio's AV40, Swan's M200 too tho they're physically larger. Those are all powered 2.0 monitors that wouldn't require a receiver and they're between $100 and $150, tho going with a receiver and passives isn't necessarily much more expensive but it'd be a tight squeeze at $150.

These are much better at $150.

I went from pro media 2.1s to bx5a's and im very happy with this decision, the pro media 2.1s are just so bass heavy even with the sub gain turned down to near minimum. With the bx5a's you get a more clear sound and I love listening to music with them, playing games and watching movies.

you'll want to grab one of these cables, and maybe even some of these down the road.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i was recently looking at those Auralex pads for my Samson speakers but I ended up going with these stands that Audioengine makes for their A5. They're a little cheaper, and I felt the 15 degree angle was better suited for my desk positioning... Mopads give you at best an 8 deg. angle. They're not really hard plastic w/a soft covering as the reviews seem to indicate, it's more like tough rubber, like tire rubber or something. They definitely absorb and have some give to them (kinda like phone TPU cases but a little tougher still, probably just because of the thicker mold). They hold my speakers well even when placed horizontally.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back