Best Ryzen setup at this time

Lali_770

n00b
Hi
I am completely new at AMD. I would like to buy a Ryzen processor. I do not plan on overclocking. Am going for stability. What is currently the "recipe" to have a stable build?

What are the most stable motherboard+ram combinations?

Thanks

Though there were some launch "birthing pains," things are pretty stable now. As long as you get quality parts (that are confirmed compatible) and don't mess with overclocking, you should be fine.

I have the Ryzen 1800X but, for the price, the 1700X looks much nicer at $300. I have the MSI X370 Titanium, but I think it was overpriced and there are likely better cheaper boards.

First thing is figure out which platform you want to go with, depending on what features you need, find a motherboard, and then check RAM compatibility on the motherboard maker's QVL list.

If possible, also buy Ryzen compatible RAM, as some of the Intel based sticks may not work as well (running at slower speeds, etc.).

I think the 1700 non x is the sweet spot. You're not oc'ing, so the stock cooler is adequate, so you save a few bucks for both a cooler and the 1700 vs the x model, and grab a B350 board. Just ensure you get 2933-3200 RAM that's listed as ryzen compatible (G Skill Flare X works well here).

Well the 1700 and 1700X are both the same price of $299 on Amazon, but I forgot you don't get the cooler with the X version. I agree that the 1700 should be fine.

Ryzen 1800X ( can do the 1700X or 1700 if you are trying to save a few bucks ) All 3 CPU's are very similar in performance.

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

G. Skill DDR4-3600 Cas 16 ( Any Samsung B Die Memory ) Trident Z RGB are nice.

Samsung NVMe 960 Pro

Vega 64 ( Can do the 56 if you are trying to save money )

Asus STX II Sound card

IMO the best build right now.

The Samsung 960 EVO Series is cheaper and nearly as good.

Also, the B350 motherboards are much cheaper.

And who buys a sound card? Mostly all mobos come with sound, and most gamers use USB headsets anyhow.

I can only give my experience and what I have seen across the web.

1800X

Asrock Taichi 370

Gskill FlareX ram

No issues at all getting them to work. And being you aren't OCing at stock, the 1800X has the better stock clocks and the FlareX ram has the best timings around. But again this will cost you a bit. The MoBo is actually priced quite low compared to the competition and as I mentioned earlier it is the only MoBo that didn't have any negative feed back up to the point I purchased mine a few weeks ago.

Gah, I'm contemplating going with a 1700x or 1700/ch6 instead of TR 1900x or 1920x. I could pick it up at the MC for 517, and get the ek AM4 adapter for my ek supremacy block and be done w/o breaking the bank. If I squeeze it right, I can run my Txp and highpoint 3530 12 port raid card. I have a 2nd hba 8 port card. If I condense the hba 8 port card down to 6 drives I can dump the hba card altogether. With 8 sata ports, 6 taken, I can use the last two ports for my SSD raid (games). The lone m2 drive will be for the OS. Hmm... go practical or go epeen?

Going all out or going practical is always a concern. I've chosen all out the past few times, only because I realized I enjoy building computers and talking about them more than actually any real use.

Going all out or going practical is always a concern. I've chosen all out the past few times, only because I realized I enjoy building computers and talking about them more than actually any real use.

I was hemming and hawing for days. Well, I said fuck it and hit the order button at amazon and went big. Just set myself back about 2k lol. Only went with 64gb of ram though.

I was hemming and hawing for days. Well, I said fuck it and hit the order button at amazon and went big. Just set myself back about 2k lol. Only went with 64gb of ram though.

64 GB is alot of RAM. Just curious what you plan to do with it? Not challenging your choice. Truly curious or is it just to have a crap ton of ram lol?

64 GB is alot of RAM. Just curious what you plan to do with it? Not challenging your choice. Truly curious or is it just to have a crap ton of ram lol?

Duties are vpn 24-7, file serving, batch encoding, central backup, etc on top of normal gaming machine. The memory size isn't set in stone, I flip flopped a bit on it too 32gb or 64gb. The option to cut costs and drop to 32gb is still open, its Amazon after all. Think I should?

Good luck with your build!

Thanks dude.

You could always try it out with 32GB and see if you're running out of RAM. If you're not, send it back. You'd have to think that RAM prices will come down at some point in the future and you could pick up 32GB more at a later date for cheaper than what it is now. Right now RAM prices are obscene.

You could always try it out with 32GB and see if you're running out of RAM. If you're not, send it back. You'd have to think that RAM prices will come down at some point in the future and you could pick up 32GB more at a later date for cheaper than what it is now. Right now RAM prices are obscene.

Yea good point, thx.

I have 16GB on this machine, and it works since its really only for gaming and web browsing. I have 32GB on my "work" machine and I've definitely seen it get filled up in some cases. 64GB is mostly unneeded, but would give some breathing room.

Duties are vpn 24-7, file serving, batch encoding, central backup, etc on top of normal gaming machine. The memory size isn't set in stone, I flip flopped a bit on it too 32gb or 64gb. The option to cut costs and drop to 32gb is still open, its Amazon after all. Think I should?

Thanks dude.

Hrmm I don't know. Video encoding doesn't saturate much ram. It waaaay more processor intensive. VMs certainly can eat RAM and cores. Gaming uses at most I have seen around 8-12 GB when you have 32 or more. Yeah its going to be a real challenge to fill up 64 GB unless you are really intent on running some VMs thats for sure.

Wanting to run 4X8 GB@3200 with good timings. I need to know the x370 board and RAM make model to allow this to happen.
I am just trying to think ahead as I will be going 16GB and wanting to get 16GB later. The benefits of a board that will allow 4 sticks of 3200MHz at low latency is very desirable to me.
Help!

So I finally bought my first AMD cpu, a Ryzen 5 1600.

Now I need to choose, there should be no overclocking, best simple/ stable mobo +ram

I intend on having it rock stable and trouble free. Set it and forget it. Has to run like my 6700k. Such trouble-free experience! Thanks for your advice

I think the 1700 non x is the sweet spot. You're not oc'ing, so the stock cooler is adequate, so you save a few bucks for both a cooler and the 1700 vs the x model, and grab a B350 board. Just ensure you get 2933-3200 RAM that's listed as ryzen compatible (G Skill Flare X works well here).

I have not experienced any heat related problems in 90F+ degree ambient temps in my room. My Ryzen 1600 is running at 3.8GHZ with 1.35v with the Wraith. Temps can get a bit high and maybe it is not ideal for long term use, but it certainly seems adequate enough. If you're not OCing it will be fine. I am running a Fractal Design Define S, which does have excellent airflow. The Wraith really is a good cooler for what it is. It hardly gets noisy at all either when running games at these temps to.

I would have been using a Cryorig if they hadn't tried to screw me over (thanks for the refund Amazon!) but after using it for a few weeks I said screw it and I wouldn't bother with better cooling.

I have not experienced any heat related problems in 90F+ degree ambient temps in my room. My Ryzen 1600 is running at 3.8GHZ with 1.35v with the Wraith. Temps can get a bit high and maybe it is not ideal for long term use, but it certainly seems adequate enough. If you're not OCing it will be fine. I am running a Fractal Design Define S, which does have excellent airflow. The Wraith really is a good cooler for what it is. It hardly gets noisy at all either when running games at these temps to.

I would have been using a Cryorig if they hadn't tried to screw me over (thanks for the refund Amazon!) but after using it for a few weeks I said screw it and I wouldn't bother with better cooling.
I was seriously impressed with the wraith cooler. At 100% it was barely audible, unlike their old included cooler you could hear from space @100%. It cooled quite well too at stock settings on a 1600 (nonX).

Hrmm I don't know. Video encoding doesn't saturate much ram. It waaaay more processor intensive. VMs certainly can eat RAM and cores. Gaming uses at most I have seen around 8-12 GB when you have 32 or more. Yeah its going to be a real challenge to fill up 64 GB unless you are really intent on running some VMs thats for sure.

For video encoding, I'd agree that 32 GB of RAM is enough. If you're running, say, the Adobe Suite (Premiere and AfterEffects) and you intend on doing a lot of effects-processing, I'd suggest bumping it to 64 GB. For my next video workstation I'm seriously considering ordering it with 128 GB of RAM. I'm bumping into the danger zone with my current 64 GB setup on a semi-regular basis. I do a lot of tasks at the same time and you'd be surprised how much RAM that eats up...

Whatever you decide on make sure you research some of the motherboards ram combo some work better then others (all 3200 mhz rated ram is not the same). Some motherboards are far more stable then others make sure you got with a reasonable price and X370 when you pair it up with Ryzen 7 1800X.

I did not overclock the cpu (1800X) and it is running well but I'm not happy with my motherboard some people had better luck with the Crosshair hero VI but my luck seems to have run out. https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/06/04/asus_rog_crosshair_vi_hero_ryzen_motherboard_review/

I was seriously impressed with the wraith cooler. At 100% it was barely audible, unlike their old included cooler you could hear from space @100%. It cooled quite well too at stock settings on a 1600 (nonX).

Very much so. IMO, it invalidates the need for the cheapest coolers (Hyper 212, ect.). Assuming you have a case with good airflow and your room doesn't blow past 90-92F. I'd imagine at 100F+ ambient temps it might be too hot when OCed. But past 90-92F I'd turn on the AC or go elsewhere if I could. I will stress the good airflow part again. The Fractal Design S is the newer type of case with no HDD or DVD bays/cages blocking the airflow. SSD/HDDs are in the back of the motherboard tray allowing 1x140mm and 2x120mm fans to blow directly onto the CPU and GPU. The HDD fit is tight if you want to use three, but two SSDs and two HDDs work easily for me. Once you get a case with this design, you won't go back assuming you only need a few drives. It does wonders for keeping temps down.

If your case doesn't have good direct airflow I'd suggest the Cryorig H7. But be aware when ordering, they sent me a used and damaged unit and danced back and fourth for nearly 3 weeks. Finally had to get Amazon to refund me.

1600x, im at 25% before core takes into effect... running gskill at 3433..gigabyte ax370 gaming k3

If your not going to OC, get an X. If you are, get a Non-X. Pretty simple. The extra base clock really helps. For ram get Gskill 3200C14 and you will be in good shape.
For MB's, personally I prefer the X370's unless your on a really tight budget I prefer not to skimp on the MB. I really like the Strix and Taichi.

If your not going to OC, get an X. If you are, get a Non-X. Pretty simple. The extra base clock really helps. For ram get Gskill 3200C14 and you will be in good shape.
For MB's, personally I prefer the X370's unless your on a really tight budget I prefer not to skimp on the MB. I really like the Strix and Taichi.
The unfortunate part of this is the X models have no HSF while the nonX includes one. I have to believe the X models as being slightly better binned. I picked up my 1700X when on sale it was the same price as the nonX. Grabbing a Hyper 212 EVO which allows dual fans, for a modest $30 plus second fan (which I already have), I think I made the right choice.
From what I have seen, when pushed, most Ryzen will top out very closely (3.7-4.0GHz). The diff is the X models seem to do so at a better voltage. I am hopping for 3.8GHz all core. Higher if i don't have to stress it. I bought the Gskill 3200C14 and Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 which has shown to be quite good at the memory game. Fingers crossed as all the parts haven't arrived yet.
It was a long toss up between the Tiachi and the K7. Dual bios and an edge in the out of box memory compatibility/performance swayed me to the Aorus. The Tiachi has a beefier VRM setup. If I was a [H]ard oc'er I would have gone that route. But I am a [h]ard oc'er (small "h") these days. I just don't see the need for 100-200MHz for that much stress on a system. The K7 will be able to handle far more then I will ever throw at it. And GigaByte is my preferred brand. But AsRock has garnished a lot of praise with their AM4 boards and I have a soft spot for them due to my socket 939 board with dual AGP and PCI-e GFX card slots! Still runs my analog capture duties to this day.
I hope the RAM gives me what I am expecting as it was a pretty penny up here in the Great White North!

The higher end Gigabytes seem very good to. Shouldn't have much issue. My 1700 does 3.8 at 1.35 fully stress tested. I can boot at 3.9 and 4.0 but not stable with even 1.45. I think there are other settings I would have to correct to get it right but for now my temps are crazy low and performance is superb.

Back