Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

During the green test, do you see stronger flickering when you look at the screen from the sides (under a sharp angle)?

Yes, higher when angled, but it's still noticleable watching from front

@ Track3r: there is some gaming footage of the 27" version on youtube:

I would also be curious if you have played skyrim on it, rdor?

I initially wanted to buy one too since there was a deal on it at a local market, but it was sold out unfortunately when I got there. Now I could only get a 500c for 20€ more and I'm reconsidering.

I've seen that vid but it doesn't seem to show much dark transitions which is what I was interested in checkin, I'd like to know if there's smudging/flickering and I can't see much on that vid (especially since Batman is running on lower res than 1080p there) :/

No flickering on 4b, flickering does appear on the green test, fairly noticleable in the green one.

Thanks for the review, have you noticed any darkening/flickering at all on games like skyrim/dark souls/witcher? How's the AG coating (is it semiglossy)? How's ghosting?
Could you maybe take a quick vid on any of those games to give some impressions?

Also, is there any of the VA edge "halo" glow in it? It looks like the edge of the screen has a slightly brighter border (For example https://i.imgur.com/9QA6t4z.jpg and here https://i.imgur.com/0HOxwIu.jpg)
Have any of you Iiyama guys got this defect?

Thanks

I don't own Skyrim and I haven't any video capture software installed so I can't help you there.

I've never owned a 'semi-glossy' monitor before but at a guess I would call it that. The coating is more like a smooth plastic film rather than the grainier matte on the S24E590pl. There's some minor glow, it's not glow free, just 'better' than IPS.

In the Witcher 3 -Novigrad at night- if you look you can see some flickering on brightly lit tiles standing out from the dark surroundings, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Skyrim example.

Last edited:
Yes, higher when angled, but it's still noticleable watching from front

I've seen that vid but it doesn't seem to show much dark transitions which is what I was interested in checkin, I'd like to know if there's smudging/flickering and I can't see much on that vid (especially since Batman is running on lower res than 1080p there) :/

Thanks for the vid. Btw, I get no email notifications for some reason. I'll uncheck and check it again?
I wish there was some hard tests for this like for color, input lag and response. In the past, Samsung has been known to sell only the slowest of panels for TV and monitors. Just recent yrs they have made the fastest TVs so I expect this monitor to be different. On their official US website it says its a TN panel, wth? But that makes no sense.

Hello,

I have XB2483HSU-B1 (not 2) for about 1-2 months and just in the last week or two I realized that it bothers me a bit watching large spaces of white color. A bit of research led me to pixel inversion tests where the monitor is apparently affected by some of the paterns.

In the following test I get flickering on pattern 4a:

Inversion (pixel-walk) - Lagom LCD test

This test then shows the flickering very clearly:

Line-paired dot-inversion test (green)

Could someone with the B1 do me a favor and try if they get it too?

Just be careful that your scaling in windows must be set to 100% (not 125 to which it is quite usually set to): Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Display (in Win7, expect it will be a similar location in Win 8 and 10).

I also recommend watching the screen from sides during the "green" test. The flickering gets more obvious this way.

Unfortunately I can no longer return the monitor, but could at least send it to a service center - but I'd like to know if other pieces have the same issue or not before I do so.

On my XB2783hsu every test pattern flickers like crazy. Recently i also noticed flickering in movies when camera pans in dark scenes like city view at night.
Should I rma it or wait till it get worse ?

An update regarding the S24E510C after a couple of week’s use. I'm wary of recommending anything tbh since those with greater knowledge and calibration tools could probably identify terrible shortcomings, so take from it what you will.

The curve is so subtle it’s neither here nor there. Gamma shift is obvious when moving your head, but it doesn't bother me and should be a non-issue for most at 23.5". Contrast is much better as expected- although this leaves me wanting more (5000:1). Responsiveness is okay, particularly at 72hz; thankfully everything doesn't turn to mush during dark scene motion as per the Iliyama/Skyrim video above. No frames dropped when overclocked and green shades look more natural for some reason. It’s decent enough for fast paced games and good otherwise.

A 27 inch, 1440p, 75hz native version would be the perfect all rounder for me.

An alternative could be the Dell p2414h: typical PLS/IPS contrast ratio but very little glow, although it uses a meh 'medium matte' AG coating.

Ok so now I'm looking at this Samsung more. So you can overclock the panel to 72hz at 1080p resolution? That's a big difference then , can reduce ghosting and panel response greatly. btw, i just got the Vizio M series 43" and the semi gloss coating is fantastic. It's not like one of those "meh" coatings. This is coming from a glossy lover.

On my XB2783hsu every test pattern flickers like crazy. Recently i also noticed flickering in movies when camera pans in dark scenes like city view at night.
Should I rma it or wait till it get worse ?

Hi, hard to say. Are you sure it is EVERY pattern? On my 2483hsu-b1 it is just 4a or 4b depending on the offset and then the green pattern. I already wrote to iiyama to see what tool they use to test it and whether there is a chance to RMA based on the results. If it is really so bad for you, I would probably RMA straight away.

To be sure, they supposed to flicker while scrolling or only when not moving ?
OMG, no :) The flickering while scrolling is caused by the slower panel response times which is perfectly normal with VA. The pixel inversion flickering is checked when you look at those images without any moving of the pictures. You can actually move them around the screen, but they should flicker while the picture is still. For the right testing please make sure your scaling in Windows is set to 100%.

Damn so none of them flicker, monitor is fine , but still im going to sell it. I was misguided by my crt because on it, nothing is flickering :p.
I wolud try that 27" samsung but only hdmi and vga wtf ...

I actually just bought a second hand S27E650C for 130 bucks, not really happy with the big size on 1080p, but it was quite cheaper than a new 24" one. I know the panel might be a different than the 500/510c, but I can run all kind of test you guys want me to. I'm curious myself how it will perform and whether I will keep it.

Flicker test: pretty much negative, can't spot anything at least.

I will also try out Skyrim, but haven't bought Witchter 3 yet.

Hello,

I have XB2483HSU-B1 (not 2) for about 1-2 months and just in the last week or two I realized that it bothers me a bit watching large spaces of white color. A bit of research led me to pixel inversion tests where the monitor is apparently affected by some of the paterns.

In the following test I get flickering on pattern 4a:

Inversion (pixel-walk) - Lagom LCD test

This test then shows the flickering very clearly:

Line-paired dot-inversion test (green)

Could someone with the B1 do me a favor and try if they get it too?

Just be careful that your scaling in windows must be set to 100% (not 125 to which it is quite usually set to): Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Display (in Win7, expect it will be a similar location in Win 8 and 10).

I also recommend watching the screen from sides during the "green" test. The flickering gets more obvious this way.

Unfortunately I can no longer return the monitor, but could at least send it to a service center - but I'd like to know if other pieces have the same issue or not before I do so.
Hi
Interestingly enough, I don't get flicker on any of the test patterns and neither on the green pattern screen on B2 version.

Hi
Interestingly enough, I don't get flicker on any of the test patterns and neither on the green pattern screen on B2 version.

Are you sure you have 100% scaling set in Windows? I actually have not seen any monitor that would not at least on the sides and at least slighly flicker on one of these patterns. Most monitors flicker with 4a/b or 7a/b.

Also please try to look on the screen under a sharp angle while watching the test pattern. I think it can be seen more obviously with VA monitors like that.

Additionally please try to: move the browser window around the desktop so that the picture has different positions, try to make sure your monitor has already warned up (let it run for at least 20 mins before testing) and set your brightness to 100 (flickering is harder for the eye to see with lower brightness).

Last edited:
I actually just bought a second hand S27E650C for 130 bucks, not really happy with the big size on 1080p, but it was quite cheaper than a new 24" one. I know the panel might be a different than the 500/510c, but I can run all kind of test you guys want me to. I'm curious myself how it will perform and whether I will keep it.

Flicker test: pretty much negative, can't spot anything at least.

I will also try out Skyrim, but haven't bought Witchter 3 yet.

Any updates on the testing? Going to keep the monitor?

Yes, although I am not fully finished yet, here is my impression of the Samsung S27E650C so far:

Skyrim: In the area of the posted youtube video of the Iiyama I only get very little to none of the flicker/gamma shifting (whatever it is). However the effect is definitely more noticable in other areas of the game, but only during night time. If you move the mouse very slowly pixel by pixel you can see thicker vegetations and some ground textures flickering. Though if you play at normal pace the only way how you notice this effect is when you stop moving. Then suddenly the vegetation becomes at little more brighter. Maybe I will do some video of it, if I find a proper camera. Btw when you activate the "reader mode" in the OSD, this whole effect completely disappears.

I also already tested some other dark games like Thief, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a couple of Insurgency night maps and noticed no such thing there at all.

Responsetime-wise I am quite satisfied with the monitor. But somehow the image itself bothers me quite a lot, so that I don't think that I am going to keep it. I don't know if my panel is faulty, but overall the brightness of the monitor and whites do not impress me at all, although it has 300 cd/m (not sure if you use this value in america). The white appears to have a light greyish/muddy tint or is just not strong enough, so that lightning and reflection in games doesnt really come out and everything looks a bit dull. I always have the feeling that the monitor is dimmed although it is already maxed out at 100% brightness. I cannot even say if this is "wrong", because I have very little experience with other monitors. I am currently used to an older glossy display with LED TN panel which in comparison to the Samsung is rather washed out and according to a test has very bad contrast. I also have a glossy IPS tablet which has way better whites but I know these can be way brighter than the average monitor. And before that I was still using CRT.

Well I also could compare it side by side to an Acer G246HLBbid from a friends which is a matte TN panel and newer than the one I am used to and overall with out of the box setting the blacks and colours are a little deeper/richer on the Samsung, but I prefer the whites and overall brightness of the Acer, although it has the usal 250 cd/m. But I cannot say I really like it either.

Is it because of the AG coating of the Samsung? Or are whites less intense due to the lower pixel density? or is this part of the higher contrast, because overall colours in games look too dark for my taste and less natural. It reminds of when I raised the contrast of my CRT too high.

I also messed around with monitor and nvidia settings (full range etc, dvi, hdmi, deleting samsung profile), but nothing really satisfying came out.

I don't know, I think I will look at some more monitors. Maybe I will try out the "e500c" just to see if my panel is faulty, I am also impressed that rdor runs it at 50% brightness.

Are you sure you have 100% scaling set in Windows? I actually have not seen any monitor that would not at least on the sides and at least slighly flicker on one of these patterns. Most monitors flicker with 4a/b or 7a/b.

Also please try to look on the screen under a sharp angle while watching the test pattern. I think it can be seen more obviously with VA monitors like that.

Additionally please try to: move the browser window around the desktop so that the picture has different positions, try to make sure your monitor has already warned up (let it run for at least 20 mins before testing) and set your brightness to 100 (flickering is harder for the eye to see with lower brightness).
I am on windows 10 and it is set to 100%.
Browser is chrome.
No flickering at all.

It only flickers when I am moving the window around but thats obvious.

I have a question to amva panel users.
What Brightness are You using on Your displays and is ANYONE using dynamic contrast? (I never do)

In my case that's 20% for brightness

BenQ VZ2470H is out. It seems interesting. MVA Panel (3000:1 contrast ratio), 4 ms, Low Blue Light Mode, flicker free.

I actually have the feeling that The AG coating or panel itself of my Samsung gives it very slight dimmed/red tint to it. When the monitor is off and I light the panel with a led flashlight the reflection is somewhat reddish and you notice reddish/golden gleam on or inside the surface, while on two other AG panels that i tested this wasn't the case. It just makes me suspicious, because it is exactly the tint that I feel lays on the picture when the monitor is on, of course it is it is very subtle and one get used to it after some time, but you quite immediately notice it when switching to a different display.

BenQ VZ2470H

could be interesting, will you try it out?

I'm waiting for a review. If ghosting is under control I think I'll buy it.
Like it wasn't with the GW2470H? lol I purchased a GW2470H and the blurring was absolutely abysmal, the worst it could possibly be.

I did look at the VZ2470H myself because I preferred the lighter case colour but I guess it is almost identical to the GW2470H apart from the external PSU and no VESA mount.

Like it wasn't with the GW2470H? lol I purchased a GW2470H and the blurring was absolutely abysmal, the worst it could possibly be.

I did look at the VZ2470H myself because I preferred the lighter case colour but I guess it is almost identical to the GW2470H apart from the external PSU and no VESA mount.

Yeah, I've read your interesting opinion about GW2470H. So do you think it's the same panel?

I haven't been impressed with the ghosting on any 24" and smaller VA panels, and most 27" as well. However, the ghosting isn't just due to the panel, but a result of the software RTC (AMA on BenQ monitors) implementation. Whatever BenQ did on the EW2750ZL needs to be used on all of their monitors going forward. The ghosting, while there, is entirely tolerable by monitor standards and purely exceptional by VA standards.

Right now I have my eyes on the Samsung CF791. It's a 34" Ultrawide 1440p VA with Freesync to release sometime in 2016. I would love it if BenQ would release a similar monitor. Samsung's RTC implementation can't hold a candle to BenQ's (comparing 2015 models, haven't tried any 2016 models yet), and Samsung typically uses a heavier AG coating.

Samsung's RTC implementation can't hold a candle to BenQ's (comparing 2015 models, haven't tried any 2016 models yet), and Samsung typically uses a heavier AG coating.

not sure if this true though, S27E650C vs BenQ EW in Freelancer looks quite obvious to me. Also this guy claims different in the video description (preowned a S27D590C):

"I realize this being an AMVA+ monitor, it's not the best for gaming, though did own the Samsung S27D590C, and it never had this issue. Gaming on it was rock solid"

Just an FYI, but that entire video was apparently recorded via software (likely PS4 built-in gameplay recording function). The only ghosting you'll see on that video is whatever ghosting your monitor inherently has. That's not the proper way to show a monitor defect, because no aspect of his monitor was shown there.

My observations were based on my personal experiences with a BenQ EW2750ZL and a Samsung S27E650c. The Samsung had a thicker, grainier matte coating than the BenQ, and I wasn't a fan of it's RTC implementation. Samsung uses Normal, Faster, and Fastest. BenQ's settings are Off, High, and Premium. BenQ's High seemed to perform roughly between Samsung's Faster and Fastest setting. It had less overshoot than the Fastest setting, but better overall RTC than the fast setting. BenQ's Premium was the worst of all in terms of overshoot.

I haven't tried a 590 series monitor yet, nor a 750 series.

Last edited:
I know he captured it via software, I can't see any unusal ghosting in that video either, not on my TN nor on the VA, but he said he experienced it worse than on his older Samsung which is from 2014 I think. According to PRAD testings the EW definitely has the shortest repsonse times in comparison to both mentioned Samsungs. In all honesty I would like to get an EW myself since I dont like the coating of the Samsung either, but this whole smearing issue people are complaining about somewhat puts me off, because so far I haven't noticed anything this bad/obvious in "faster" mode on my Samsung, except for mild flicker in Skyrim where recent Iiyama AMVAs appear to perfom even worse.

Well whatever, I think I will wait for upcoming VA displays and hope there will be some glossiers ones among them with a pleasing performance.

I know he captured it via software,

Then why bring it up? The video is absolutely useless for this regard. And I sincerely apologize if you take that as an insult, as it's not meant to be. Just stating that a software recording of a video source tells us nothing of the physical display used by the person doing the recording.

I can't see any unusal ghosting in that video either, not on my TN nor on the VA

And you won't. The only ghosting you will see is whatever ghosting your monitor introduces.

but he said he experienced it worse than on his older Samsung which is from 2014 I think

A subjective opinion from someone who thought he was recording his monitor. I don't assign that much weight. Now, I haven't used the 590 that he references, so I am truly ignorant in terms of the quality of that panel. But as I stated before, while AMA High is excellent (for a VA panel), AMA Premium is garbage. Many people crank their monitor's overdrive setting to the max not realizing that this causes more inverse ghosting than the ghosting it actually removes. I can make my EW2750ZL have very bad dark transitions. Just set AMA to Off or Premium and done. On AMA High, it still has weak dark transitions, but still upper tier among VA-based monitors.

According to PRAD testings the EW definitely has the shortest repsonse times in comparison to both mentioned Samsungs.

PC Monitors shows similar in their reviews. However, they use more subjective language. So, we have Prad (objective) and PCM (subjective) saying the EW has better response. Two more nails in the coffin for that Youtube user.

In all honesty I would like to get an EW myself since I dont like the coating of the Samsung either, but this whole smearing issue people are complaining about somewhat puts me off

The smearing is a limitation of VA panels. Forgive me if you already know this, but all LCDs use sample and hold as their way of displaying colors. TN are the fastest (among the three I'm talking about), followed by IPS, then VA. Even a fast VA won't keep pace with a slow TN/IPS. VA has other strengths.

because so far I haven't noticed anything this bad/obvious in "faster" mode on my Samsung

Based on your post here, You have a Samsung S27E650C. That's a monitor that I used for a day (friend has it). It has a slightly thicker, grainier AG coating than the EW2750ZL. The Faster mode is a hair behind the BenQ with more noticeable (barely) overshoot. I wouldn't use fastest. Switching from the 650C that you have to the 2750 is pretty much a lateral move. If you're going to upgrade your monitor, try to get something significantly better. I just don't think it's worth it. You're considering going from a 27" 1080p VA to a 27" 1080p VA. They have the same inherent strengths and weaknesses.

Well whatever, I think I will wait for upcoming VA displays and hope there will be some glossiers ones among them with a pleasing performance.

Samsung makes a glossy version, but it's an AIO and not a separate monitor. I loved it (ATIV 7). But not worth buying for just the monitor part of it, given the price.

Basically, here's where I stand on your monitor choice. Either you like or you hate the 650C. If you like it, I don't think it's worth the cost for a sidegrade to the EW2750ZL. Sure, I personally feel the EW is "better." But, it's only marginally so. But if you hate it, the EW isn't "better" enough to make you like VA technology. What you have is an accurate representation of VA tech, for better and for worse.

Best of luck in your decision, whatever you do.

I believe SVA and AMVA+ behave differently in terms of response time.
From data available it looks like the SVA are slower on average and take longer for the full black to white transition (0-255-0), but they are not as inconsistent as the AMVA+ panels, where some pixel response times can be as low as 3ms and some as high as 25-50ms.
If the flicker is exagerrated by this subset of very slow transitions then its safe to assume this is less of an issue on the SVA matrix.

EW2750ZL:
http://i.imgur.com/doVQN5j.png
S27E650C:
http://i.imgur.com/rexk4Ex.png

While there is less overall ghosting, the black trail is always thicker on the BenQ.

The two 34'' ultrawide SVA models available so far also appear to be faster than the other SVA panels and their subpixels are structured differently.
If they make high refresh panels with these there is a good chance they are gonna be faster than what AUO is coming up with.

Last edited:

I can confirm that. I had GW2470h and it was ghosting like crazy.

Hey guys, I used to post on these forums under the name philstat, though for some reason, I couldn't get access to my account (likely due to the amount of time since I last posted). So I created another account, I posted the YouTube video of the BenQ EW2750ZL, and yes, it's definitely my fault for not capturing the action with a camera, I should have put a caveat in my description for clarification purposes. Bad move on my part, without a doubt.

I've worked in the graphics industry for nearly 30 years, I'm almost 50, yep - I've used literally just about any and every type of monitor known, predominantly at work, precision monitors, Dell and HP Professional grade, Eizo (mostly), Siemens, LaCie and dozens of other monitors. So I believe I have a good understanding of quality displays when I use them. In my off time, I like to game and have been a gamer for about 30 years or so. I have no bias towards any type of manufacturer or company. I firmly stand by my claim on the EW2750ZL, remember, this is a sub-$200 monitor, so right off the get go, one has to manage their expectations some. I owned two of them, the first one I ordered via Jet, it had a ton of imperfections, three stuck and two dead pixels along with some probable dust elements under the screen, manufactured date September 2015. I knew I couldn't keep it given the aforementioned issues, though I gamed on it briefly for a few days, prior to returning it. I noticed the issues with dark scene gaming, though wasn't sure what to really expect given its stated condition. I returned it and waited until February and bought another one from B&H Photo, manufactured date January 2016 and it was a Rev-B model.

Needless to say, I was pleased it was an updated revision, it had zero pixel issues and no noticeable backlight bleed, initial impressions were solid. I did not have the monitor on premium setting, I had it on its default, which is high. I had it and my GTX 970 RGB set to 0-255, gamma at 2.2 and the brightness at about 28-35, contrast at 50, everything else pretty much at default. I immediately played several games on it, AOE 3, Smite and a couple of others, initially everything was okay, though as soon as I played COD, R6 Siege, Skyrim, FC4 and Primal, FO4, Borderlands Complete, Total War series and a number of other games, I IMMEDIATELY noticed this monitor suffered tremendously when the image transitioned to a darker scene, it would completely displace things like doors for example in R6, you could walk up to a door, move your character around briefly and you would see the dark door COMPLETELY blur with the surrounding walls, vegetation and foliage at night in FC, Borderlands, damn near everything, and on and on. Someone posted a video of some type of space game, showing how the stars briefly disappeared every time they panned the camera, that was my exact experience as well.

IMO, the EW also suffers slightly from banding, prevalent in a number of tests and noticeable on the Steam software background. Though it wasn't a show-stopper as the issues it had with dark scene gaming. I have used other BenQ's, quite a few, currently own the XL2720Z, great TN panel for gaming. I've wanted to jump on the VA bandwagon for a long time, having owned the Samsung S27D590C and used the S34E790C. I did not like the AG at all on the S27D590C, similar to my old Dell U2711, very coarse, though it handled dark scene gaming admirably, no issues as did the 34-inch. In comparison, IMO, it's a much better overall monitor than the EW, not even close if you are a gamer looking for a 27-inch VA panel, the new Samsung CF591 1800R looks exceptionally interesting.

Sorry for the long post, in closing, I posted what I did to alert gamers, I have no doubt the majority of gamers would be disappointed in the overall performance of the EW, it's fine for bright colorful games for the most part, though as soon as you play nearly anything that has dark and light tones, it cannot keep up and ultimately blurs immediately. I bought the EW mostly as a secondary/tertiary option to play PS4 games on and watch an occasional movie, I swapped it out for the Philips 276E IPS and couldn't be happier, tremendous gaming monitor IMO, just exceptional across the board. I only mentioned my background and experience for context, I'm not a novice user. I just lazily posted the info on the EW and I should have captured it appropriately. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. Best of luck in whatever choice you go with!

Last edited:
thanks JDP for clarification, I will definitely stay away from that EW series.

killz4gold
it took me like one hour to get used to 27", but you will definitely notice the lower pixel density. Also coming from 21", it didn't really feel like an upgrade, especially when watching videos that are 720p and lower. I personally would not pay 550 bucks for something like that.

Does anyone have any information about AOC M2470SWH?It uses an MVA panel, but nobody talks about. Poor quality?

Not yet, but I ordered one few days ago , because I saw that the display is pretty reflective on some of the other AOC monitors from the M-series. Honestly I don't expect much, because it is dirt cheap, also the specs on their website seem to be faulty and confusing regarding response time and contrast ratio, but I will try it out and let you know.

Not yet, but I ordered one few days ago , because I saw that the display is pretty reflective on some of the other AOC monitors from the M-series. Honestly I don't expect much, because it is dirt cheap, also the specs on their website seem to be faulty and confusing regarding response time and contrast ratio, but I will try it out and let you know.

Thank you. Yeah, the price is incredibly low, so neither do I expect much, but I'm curious, maybe it surprises us.

Hello to all.
Afer reading this forum I got the liyama XB2483hsu B2
Was thinking of IPS but experienced BenQ and didn't like the Glow.

Build Quality:
Very Good, plastics are properly fit.
Excellent Stand, no force needed to adjust monitor positions.
Nice slim bezel with the bottom part pretending to be anonised aluminium.

Panel :
Excellent Blacks
Almost non existent Backlit bleed :)
Evident color shift.
Very basic OSD - 2010 Samsung has more options.
This is not Pure MAT panel, it has some very very gentle gloss
Direct Comparison to TN from 2010 : colors are much less saturated.
Also plenty of more details visible in dark areas.
Panel feels much more relaxed and easy to the eye comparing to the TN.

Gaming:
Tested side to side with 5ms TN - Mad Max, Fifa 16, Bad Company 2, BF3 and Don'tStarve.

I haven't seen any ghosting even on Overdrive OFF, and I was really looking to find some.
Difference is the screen responsiveness.

EDIT 1:
Currently res-etting the systemand retesting dueto gpu driver issues.

EDIT 2:
Back after more testing of XB2483hsu B2

My first observation was correct there is very little difference between Overdrive modes in the terms of ghosting.
Panel simply get more responsive with each step.
Worst blur/overshot is in Overdrive 3 - less visible with OD2
More or less panel keeps the same Gosting/Overshot which each step of OD.

Keeping this screen as love the colors/blacks and non existent BacklitBleed, gaming is fine to me with overclock.

If you do look for purely gaming screen, IPS will have much more WOW factor with Vivid colors and more responsive panel.
XB2483hsu is absolutely fine , didn't see any loss of quality while aiming and shooting in online FPS games. If they can only produce VA panel with 85hz bit faster and ideally implement their own ULMB(this is actually part of Gsync module) .Full HD resolution is perfect fot this screen size and easy to drive even with gtx960 or 970.

Screen brightness is set to 40% Contrast default(80)
wallpaper link to compare:
#red, #minimalism, #simple | Wallpaper No. 28886 - wallhaven.cc

BEZEL:

FRONT:

FROM ABOVE:

Side:

Will get better camera and make some pictures and video over the weekend.

Last edited:
Great review.
I am waiting for night shots with 20 brightness and dark screen from different angles to compare to mine

As liyama OSD sucks found this two aps for controlling screen :
CLICKMONITORDDC1,9 - Freeware
ClickMonitorDDC is a portable freeware tool to adjust brightness or contrast of a DDC compatible monitor by simply clicking a notification icon in the taskbar tray area, this icon also shows the actual monitor-values. There is support for multi monitors, shortcut link icon command-line arguments and hot keys.

Free Monitor Manager - this one has some paid version
http://freemonitormanager.com/

A bit offtopic :
HARDFORUM WIDTH
After moving to 24 inch I do find difficult to read hardforum as screen is large and fill the whole with width.
After some search did find chrome extension Styleboot, here is the result:
First have to mark the filed outside hardforum:
or copy this:
div.xbOffCanvasContainer
then enter width 60% and margins - left box 20%

Last edited:
Hello to all.
Gaming:
Tested side to side with 5ms TN - Mad Max, Fifa 16, Bad Company 2, BF3 and Don'tStarve.
I haven't seen any ghosting even on Overdrive OFF, and I was really looking to find some.
Difference is the screen responsiveness. With the Overdrive 3 panel is much more responsive and fluid, pretty close to the TN.

If you cant see any ghosting especially in fifa compared to TN, blindness must be your friend or that "5ms" tn of yours is very slow :) These AMVA monitors are ghosting like crazy in fifa when camera pans to action. My friend got iiama tn panel and its way faster than this in that particular game. Panel is nowhere tn responsivess, unless having some old crappy tn. It is good overall monitor for casual gaming(except fifa ), movies but nothing more. Even scrolling net is painful to the eye.

If you cant see any ghosting especially in fifa compared to TN, blindness must be your friend or that "5ms" tn of yours is very slow :) These AMVA monitors are ghosting like crazy in fifa when camera pans to action. My friend got iiama tn panel and its way faster than this in that particular game. Panel is nowhere tn responsivess, unless having some old crappy tn. It is good overall monitor for casual gaming(except fifa ), movies but nothing more. Even scrolling net is painful to the eye.

Dont know what AMVA you where looking at, maybe some previous generation.
The one I have dont even blur/overshot with Overdrvie Off, web scrolling is perfect.
Lagon tests dont flicker too.
My eyes are absolutely fine btw.
Will record my while gaming over the weekend.

this YT as example:

Bad ones:

Last edited:
Well the iiyama xb2483hsu is ghosting like a mother****** without overdrve 3 option. With 3 enabled, it suddenly is not ghosting at all in my case.

Gaming:
Difference is the screen responsiveness. With the Overdrive 3 panel is much more responsive and fluid, pretty close to the TN.
5ms TN is monitor without overdrive. TN monitors without overdrive have about 19-22 ms response time in worst case.
Iiyama ProLite GE2488HS-B1 test results | Hardware.Info United Kingdom
BenQ RL2755HM test results | Hardware.Info United Kingdom

Back