Best remote option

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
What are some great options to work remotely? Here's my case:

At times I and employee will work remotely and need to access the server (via the internet - XP box connected to DSL service) to hit dbase files we share. Does it make sense to use PC Anywhere or something like GoToMyPC (or another suggestion).

Also any recommendations on data backup software. I've seen several like Genie Backup, Shadow Protect, Acronis, Cobian... and so on.

To point out the obvious. If all machines are XP Pro or Vista Business(Ultimate will work too) why not just use RDP?

For free solution LogMeIn Free is nice too. . . There are other solutions as well such as UltraVNC.

To point out the obvious. If all machines are XP Pro or Vista Business(Ultimate will work too) why not just use RDP?

For free solution LogMeIn Free is nice too. . . There are other solutions as well such as UltraVNC.

Leaving RDP open to the outside world isn't the greatest thing to do. Use a remote software like LogMeIn

I have used shadow protect, its not to shabby

If you have a decent firewall you should be able to setup a VPN connection to your office. From the VPN you could simply RDP into your office computer or the server securely, without opening RDP to the internets.

LogMeIn is another option and much better than PCAnywhere IMO. I would recommend getting the paid version of LogMeIn since this is for business use.

RDP if you are able to learn how to forward ports and work with a dynamic IP. It is actually secure, the only attack I'm aware of is a man in the middle attack that was only created in a lab environment, not in a real world scenario.

You can also set your RD host to cancel logins after 3x failed attempts. So now...it will take someone literally centuries to try to grind in with some dictionary or other attack.

RD is also encrypted and secure.

If you don't want to bother with opening a port and dealing with WAN IP, use logmein. Almost as good of performance, and it's easy. A very basic desktop experience though.

PcAnywhere, VNC flavors...no reason to use them anymore since WinXP and 2K3 came out with RDP. Slower, clunkier, etc.

This "server"...if you and someone else connect to it..realize it will only do 1x at a time.

Backup software...built in NTBackup.

1. Download TightVNC Server/Viewer.
2. On the server (use the correct size pw ) also, I like to change the default ports to something else 7000 or 7001 just make sure these ports aren't being used by another program. Then, go to the Administration tab and make sure Disable empty passwords and allow loopback connections is checked.
2. On the server, install freesshd and use these settings:
a. Server Status tab: SSH Server is running.
b. SSH Tab: Listen address as all interfaces, port 443, and make sure the command shell path is correct.
c. Encryption Tab: Any
d. Tunneling Tab: Allow local port fwding and Allow remote port fwding
e. Users Tab: There are three ways to set this up, Signature, NT Authentication, and Username and PW (choose one you like the best.)
f. On your Client Machine use putty (which I like to use) Hotname or IP address is the public IP address and the port 443 and make sure the SSH button is selected.
g. In the left window go to ssh and expand to click the tunneling part. Source port is the port you're going to be using on the vnc server and client connection and in the destination use 127.0.0.1ort your using for your connection
h. Open connection log in > Open VNC view type in the loopback and port > and Whalla!

1. Download TightVNC Server/Viewer.
2. On the server (use the correct size pw ) also, I like to change the default ports to something else 7000 or 7001 just make sure these ports aren't being used by another program. Then, go to the Administration tab and make sure Disable empty passwords and allow loopback connections is checked.
2. On the server, install freesshd and use these settings:
a. Server Status tab: SSH Server is running.
b. SSH Tab: Listen address as all interfaces, port 443, and make sure the command shell path is correct.
c. Encryption Tab: Any
d. Tunneling Tab: Allow local port fwding and Allow remote port fwding
e. Users Tab: There are three ways to set this up, Signature, NT Authentication, and Username and PW (choose one you like the best.)
f. On your Client Machine use putty (which I like to use) Hotname or IP address is the public IP address and the port 443 and make sure the SSH button is selected.
g. In the left window go to ssh and expand to click the tunneling part. Source port is the port you're going to be using on the vnc server and client connection and in the destination use 127.0.0.1ort your using for your connection
h. Open connection log in > Open VNC view type in the loopback and port > and Whalla!

Cuz that is like super easy to configure and use for the average person . . . not to mention VNC is slower than crap . . . . :D

So it sounds like the way to go is RDP? But, as YeOldStoneCat mentioned only one person can login at a time. It's possible someone may actually be sitting at the "server" from time to time or both users will need to log in simultaneously via remote.

We have an existing pay account with GoToMyPC. Not as good?

Thoughts?

As for backups I just need to backup files to another drive. Be good to do a Ghost, or similar, once the "server" is tweaked and ready to go.

So it sounds like the way to go is RDP? But, as YeOldStoneCat mentioned only one person can login at a time. It's possible someone may actually be sitting at the "server" from time to time or both users will need to log in simultaneously via remote.

Thoughts?

As for backups I just need to backup files to another drive. Be good to do a Ghost, or similar, once the "server" is tweaked and ready to go.

Server 2003 by default will allow 2 rdp connections, unless you have terminal service licensing. Meaning 1 console, 2 remote sessions on the server.

Any other PCs at the network? You mention the XP "server"..but any other XP rigs at the office?

GoToMyPC..another good remote option...so you're already set for remote. About the same as LogMeIn.

What is the database? Can just schedule an NT backup of it to another drive, an external drive, a USB drive, etc. How big is the database?

Thoughts?

I use OpenVPN. Never had issues with various different OS.
The quick and dirty solution is running a SSH server (OSX, Windows, Linux, xBSD) on the server end and use the dynamic routing and port forwarding feature in SSH. SSH can encrypt and route any protocol.

I know others have suggested RDP solution, but once your DNS and host file are attacked, man in the middle attack is simple. RDP uses good and fair encryption.

You should always consider the importance of man in the middle attack vulnerabilities, since you probably can't control your DNS server.

Okay, but we're using Qwest DSL so is it much of an issue? Then a router at home office.

Just bought an XP machine that I want to use as the server.

DSL if fine for remote desktop technologies. Remote Desktop session uses just under the bandwidth a 28.8 modem provides. Broadband certainly has room to spare.

Upload is what counts ....the host sits on it. But still it's usually 384 or higher..more than enough.

Other alternatives..if this database is small and can run across a VPN...Hamachi VPN.

So, LogMeIn works better than VNC? Feature wise, how do they compare?

Personally, I have two locations, one on each side of town with dynamic IP's. DSL connection (1.5/512 on one and 768/128 on the other).

So, LogMeIn works better than VNC? Feature wise, how do they compare?

The remote desktop technology based ones (RDP/GTMPC/LMI)...all perform smoother/quicker than the 3rd party based ones like *VNC, PCA, Timbuktu, CarbonCopy, etc.

Since you already have GoToMyPC setup...you're already running a decent setup, secure, decent performance. Your only obstacle is to find a way to allow two of you to work concurrently. A cheap approach is to have a 2nd "host" desktop running for your co-worker to use. A more expensive approach is to move to Terminal Server...quite a bit more expensive. Another possible approach, may or may not work for you..as we don't have details on this database yet, is to take the VPN approach.

You can also consider virtualization so you can have multiple machines available without springing for more servers, but you'd still need multiple Windows licenses, etc. I am not saying this is the best option, but YOS covered the other ones well. If you do go for Virtualization, I highly recommend VirtualBox.

We're doing this now: one of the guys has an XP box setup with GoToMyPC at the office. This box has access to another running Win98 on the "server" (I know, I can't wait to hear about this). So when they login remotely the go to the XP box which accesses the 98 box via a mapped drive that has the files they save and need access to plus a couple of dbase files for Act! and some mortgage based software.

I'm looking to get this guy setup with as little cost because he's a small business guy and he's really impacted by the market. I got him to buy an XP Pro box with a DUO Core 2 CPU and 2G of RAM. He's saying he's going to drop the lease on this office and move it to his home office to cut costs. His current office and his home office are both using Qwest DSL. I figure by removing the old, slow, XP box (with GoToMyPC) and the 98 box (server - LOL) he can only go up. Likely the owner will be on his laptop which will be connected to a router along with the server and only one person will need to connect remotely (his employee).

Another employee/friend of his set up this wacky LAN at his current office. I've been working on him for some time to make changes and this is what I've got to work with. This employee is no longer there.

Would the following work without issue:

• The XP Pro box will end up in a home office
  • The owner will be connected via a LAN and DSL
  • The employee will access remotely
  • Since the owner will be connected locally can't the employee access the XP Pro box with RDC?
  • Again, this app (Point from Calyx Software) has it's data in shared folders

[*]The employee will access remotely
[*]Since the owner will be connected locally can't the employee access the XP Pro box with RDC?
[*]Again, this app (Point from Calyx Software) has it's data in shared folders
[/LIST]

If someone remotely accesses a workstation/desktop OS with some remote desktop software..be it some VNC flavor or Remote Desktop Client, they will control the desktop. If someone is sitting locally at that host computer...he will control the desktop. Both at the same time..they'll be fighting for control of the desktop.

I know that. Sorry, let me clarify...

The host is not where this software is even installed. The software is installed on a couple of laptops and old desktops. So, in short one person will be talking to the host via the local LAN while the other would be accessing the host via remote.

Thoughts?

You can have two connections if you switch to server 2003.

We're doing this now: one of the guys has an XP box setup with GoToMyPC at the office. This box has access to another running Win98 on the "server" (I know, I can't wait to hear about this). So when they login remotely the go to the XP box which accesses the 98 box via a mapped drive that has the files they save and need access to plus a couple of dbase files for Act! and some mortgage based software.

I'm looking to get this guy setup with as little cost because he's a small business guy and he's really impacted by the market. I got him to buy an XP Pro box with a DUO Core 2 CPU and 2G of RAM. He's saying he's going to drop the lease on this office and move it to his home office to cut costs. His current office and his home office are both using Qwest DSL. I figure by removing the old, slow, XP box (with GoToMyPC) and the 98 box (server - LOL) he can only go up. Likely the owner will be on his laptop which will be connected to a router along with the server and only one person will need to connect remotely (his employee).

Another employee/friend of his set up this wacky LAN at his current office. I've been working on him for some time to make changes and this is what I've got to work with. This employee is no longer there.

If I were you I would keep the windows 98 box. It doesn't have the same limitation with network connections that the win xp box has, plus they run super fast. You might run into some file size limitations but it will work great in a network.

So, it's NOT possible to have one local LAN connection to the host and one that's remote?

Ya 98... sux though as I wanted an OS that's more secure. But it looks like the only options are to spend more on a server to keep the number of computers down and a simpler network (less hardware involved plus few possible issues) or you have to add PCs onto the LAN that you can log into remotely to further access the server/host. Whether XP or 98.

We just bought a PC with XP Pro from Dell. A Dell Vostro. Currently they have a few other PCs on their LAN at the office to remote into but this guy may likely pull the plug on the office and want to move to his home office (save $$). At the home office his laptop will be on the LAN along with the server/host. But, apparently they need to have another PC "sitting" around for the remote user to access the "host" via this LAN.

What about this idea: install the Point software on the server. The remote user uses RDC to gain access and run the app on the server. The guy on the local LAN connection can still run Point from his laptop since the files are shared/mapped. Wouldn't this work?

Seems odd that XP Pro can have 10 local LAN connections but NOT one of them can be remote. I get that XP can only have one remote connection but the other would be via the LAN.

long thread....

Data Backup - Mozy Pro - hit me up ill cut you a great deal without becoming a reseller. Online backup, have clients up to 100gb on it and all love it.

I know that. Sorry, let me clarify...

The host is not where this software is even installed. The software is installed on a couple of laptops and old desktops. So, in short one person will be talking to the host via the local LAN while the other would be accessing the host via remote.

Oh...so nobody will be physically sitting at the computer which hosts this file?
Someone remotes into this "host" PC, and a 2nd worker is working on another workstation on the local network..accessing that file?

That would work fine..as long as this "file" is coded to allow multiple connections to it.

Yes, this software called Point (Calyx Software) is designed to work on a LAN. On the HOST are shared folders that store the files everyone uses. Point, itself, runs on the users PC. When they run Point it pulls the data from these shared folders. The drive that these shared folders sit on, at the HOST, is a mapped drive (P:\).

But yes, to answer your question, no one would actually be using the HOST computer . My idea would be to install Point on the HOST. The remote user would log in to the HOST computer (either RDC or LogMeIn) and run Point on the HOST using the same files that are shared/mapped. The local user on the LAN would run Point on his laptop but hit these same files on the HOST from the local LAN connection.

Now, if we use LogMeIn instead of RDC someone could be using the HOST while the remote user accessed the HOST via LogMeIn correct?

Don't mean to over state but just want to be clear here.

LogMeIn or Remote Desktop....both would be considered the same, doesn't matter. Same underlying technology is used.

So this would work then? One remote and one local all PCs using XP Pro.

Didn't think the LogMeIn question through. For some reason I thought it would be different as with LogMeIn both people can share the PC but then I imagine, of course, when the remote user is "driving" then the local user would lose control/access to the HOST PC.

hehe one of our first clients used that.

but anyway i didn't read this whole thread, if you have users outside the office that want to get access to a machine not being used logmein or RDP will work just fine.

did you see my response about the data backup? we had this client on the Mozy Pro and only costed them like 20/month for offsite backup for the Calyx program and all the documents they had.

hehe one of our first clients used that.

but anyway i didn't read this whole thread, if you have users outside the office that want to get access to a machine not being used logmein or RDP will work just fine.

did you see my response about the data backup? we had this client on the Mozy Pro and only costed them like 20/month for offsite backup for the Calyx program and all the documents they had.

I'm going to use a local disk for backup.

Here's details I posted shortly ago:

Yes, this software called Point (Calyx Software) is designed to work on a LAN. On the HOST are shared folders that store the files everyone uses. Point, itself, runs on the users PC. When they run Point it pulls the data from these shared folders. The drive that these shared folders sit on, at the HOST, is a mapped drive (P:\).

But yes, to answer your question, no one would actually be using the HOST computer . My idea would be to install Point on the HOST. The remote user would log in to the HOST computer (either RDC or LogMeIn) and run Point on the HOST using the same files that are shared/mapped. The local user on the LAN would run Point on his laptop but hit these same files on the HOST from the local LAN connection.

Now, if we use LogMeIn instead of RDC someone could be using the HOST while the remote user accessed the HOST via LogMeIn correct?

local disk != backup. backup means offsite.

anyway when a user uses RDP to log into the host the current local user gets disconnected.

if you then have a user log in with logmein all he will see is what the RDP User is doing.

sure you can hack RDP to work.

Calyx always had a small file, maybe a VPN would be better?

local disk != backup. backup means offsite.

anyway when a user uses RDP to log into the host the current local user gets disconnected.

if you then have a user log in with logmein all he will see is what the RDP User is doing.

sure you can hack RDP to work.

Calyx always had a small file, maybe a VPN would be better?

Bummer, getting different answers here. No one will be using the HOST. However, a local user where the HOST is connected will be using files via a shared/mapped drive. I understand that this would work.

yes i know what you mean, each time i read your posts it seems like you want 2 remote users to use the Host.

the host is a server, you can have as many local users access the point file (or how many the license is for).

if you want a single remote user say log into the server to work on Point since he couldn't get into work, then RDP or Logmein will work.

If you want multiple remote users to log into the Calyx server hten you need to do some hacking of RDP.

please get your client on some other form of backup but a external, you will be kicking yourself when his machine crashes and you relize that the usb drive was never plugged in for backup. if its a windows xp box you can be cheap and just use Mozy Home to back it up for 60 a year, but i would never recommend any of my clients to back up on USB hard drives. especially ones that will stay in the office.

1) It's not a USB drive. Two drives are installed in this PC. The secondary will be used for backups only.

2) Still not clear: a user can be working on the local LAN using a laptop and accessing the files residing on the HOST via shared drive. Another user can log in remotely and run Point on the HOST itself. Correct? This way there's only one remote user.

Back