• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best power supply available?

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 6, 2002
Messages
4,316
Months ago I was told that I would be fine with the Antec True550 power supply, then a little while ago I was told that it was a POS and I need something better. True enough, it died and brought my mobo with it.

I am going to RMA it and then sell it, but in the mean time I need a good power supply. It needs to have dead-on accurate rails, lots and lots of power

Things it needs to be able to cope with:

3 or 4 hard drives
DVD-RW
9800XT
floppy
6ish fans
Overclocked 2500+ to approx. 2.75Ghz
Prometeia Mach I complete with heating element

It needs lots of connectors too, and I'd like it to be around $100ish

I've heard good things about enermax but I thought I would consult you guys first. What do you think?
 
Recommendoes -
1) Fortron/Source 550W
2) anything by PC Power & Cooling
 
Just helped a friend sleeve his new Sparkle 530, and after seeing the insides i'm sold on Fortron/Sparkle for the next A64 system I build.
 
You also might want to look at the new OCZ Powerstream 520W. I've tried 4 different power supplies on my most recent 2 A64 builds. Thermaltake Purepower 480W 12v rail was extremely weak with a near .4v drop under load to 11.4v. Tried a Epower 480W which was a little better, but not much, so I sent it back. The Enermax Noisetaker 470W is pretty dang good and the rails barely fluctuate under load, but it is a hair sparce on connectors. The OCZ 520W is amazingly solid and my current favorite power supply. The 12v rail barely moves on my overclocked A64 system from 12.08 at idle to 12.03 at load and the 3.3 and 5v rails do not move. Of course PCP&C is pretty much the best and can be built to your specifications, but they are very pricey.
 
The best power supply available is PC Power & Cooling ! After that I would say Sparkle/Fortron would be my second choice. Enermax is also very good.
 
If defintely won't go for just $100 but the PC P&C 510 Deluxe would power that thing without breaking a sweat. If you're really wanting to overclock, which it looks like you are, then that could help you get the clocks even higher.

Even one of the 425 ATX supplies could probably power that rig.
 
PC Power & Cooling make superior Power Supplies. The 510W rating is at 50º C (122º F), it actually produces 600W at 25º.
 
kunsunoke said:
Recommendoes -
1) Fortron/Source 550W

How do you rig a EPS12V like that Fortron is to run on an ATX 20 pin motherboard? Do you need a converter from 24 to 20 and another converter for 8 pin to 4 pin?
 
EbolaZaire said:
How do you rig a EPS12V like that Fortron is to run on an ATX 20 pin motherboard? Do you need a converter from 24 to 20 and another converter for 8 pin to 4 pin?

only if there isnt clearence around the connectors which there likely is
then the extra pins just hang off

Asazman
what is the amp draw of that Prometeia?
and what power conditioning scheme are you using?
 
Back
Top