Best PC gaming controller in 2020?

biggles

2[H]4U
Used to be the case that a wired Xbox 360 controller was best for many of us. It works by default in many games without extra software. Downside has always been the crappy d-pad.

It appears that folks have moved onto the Xbox One controller as the new champ for PC games. Some people liked the PS4 controller as well. It probably works fine for Steam games as Steam now has config software for it. But not sure how well it works with games outside Steam (examples, Epic or Ubisoft game launchers).

So question 1 is to rank the following 3 PC game controllers:
Xbox 360
Xbox One
PS4

Worth mentioning is that I own a 360, PS4, but not an Xbox One.

Second question: is there a calibration program to check if my old Xbox 360 wired controller is working right? It seems like the left analog is "sticking" as in some games I noticed slight onscreen movements when the left analog is untouched. Would it be worthwhile to disassemble and clean the controller? I have gotten 11 years of use out of it. So if it is worn out and needs replacement, that is okay, certainly got my money's worth out of the controller.

Windows 10 store has a Xbox calibration testing program you can remap buttons and sensitivity of the thumb pads. Xbox elite series 2 is the hottest controller out there but it runs 179.00 A regular one would do just fine plus its lighter in weight. I've been using a Power A controller which is a Xbox knockoff even though I own a Elite.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Still using my wired 360 controller. Very good build construction and still does what I need it to do. I used the One S white controller and didn't like some of the changes. If I recall, the thumb sticks had a rough texture that I didn't like, and some of the buttons were clacky. I supposed the D-pad is better. Overall I preferred the 360 controller. Couple with the price of the One controller, I think the cheapest I've seen it with the wireless adapter was $50+ I haven't felt the need to upgrade. I hope the 360 controller is still supported by default going forward. Seems like the programming works the same for all the Xbox controllers and I hope it stays that way so PC developers don't start skipping support for it.

I may look into the Xbox Series X controller but I assume it will also be more expensive. Maybe they will clear off wireless One controllers and I may get one then.

My response is going to be counter to your listed controller options. I'm am using a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. I don't even own a Nintendo Switch. I feel that ergonomics and feel play by far the biggest role in wanting to use a controller over virtually any other reason.
I personally find the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to be the most comfortable, and I like the layout and over-all feel of everything. Short of an ultra high-end controller (with swappable parts etc), I don't think there is anything built as high quality. The D-pad is the right level of clicky without incorrect inputs. The analog sticks feel tight, the dimple and rubber keep good grip on the thumbs. The buttons all feel good going down, not loose or squishy, and their shape is flatter and more matte so my fingers don't/can't slide when they're depressed like on XB1. The triggers are more clicky (and not analog) so they can be depressed immediately with no/low effort.
Perhaps the most important factor for me is overall shape. I have smaller hands so the XBox controllers feel overly large and bulky (it reminds me of the Sega Genesis Controllers in a not-flattering way). And the angling on PS controllers in general have bothered me for a long time (I also hate the battery life in these). The arms are at the right angle and are shaped well to be grippy. All buttons fall easily within reach.
Battery life is an off the charts 30+ hours, which makes it easy to carry in my laptop bag and not have to worry if it's charged or not the next time I use it.

I literally bought this thing just so I could play Hollow Knight (and likely other platformers) and Emulators. Though I will also likely start using it for the Tomb Raider series that I'm slowly working through.

My response is going to be counter to your listed controller options. I'm am using a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. I don't even own a Nintendo Switch. I feel that ergonomics and feel play by far the biggest role in wanting to use a controller over virtually any other reason.
I personally find the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to be the most comfortable, and I like the layout and over-all feel of everything. Short of an ultra high-end controller (with swappable parts etc), I don't think there is anything built as high quality. The D-pad is the right level of clicky without incorrect inputs. The analog sticks feel tight, the dimple and rubber keep good grip on the thumbs. The buttons all feel good going down, not loose or squishy, and their shape is flatter and more matte so my fingers don't/can't slide when they're depressed like on XB1. The triggers are more clicky (and not analog) so they can be depressed immediately with no/low effort.
Perhaps the most important factor for me is overall shape. I have smaller hands so the XBox controllers feel overly large and bulky (it reminds me of the Sega Genesis Controllers in a not-flattering way). And the angling on PS controllers in general have bothered me for a long time (I also hate the battery life in these). The arms are at the right angle and are shaped well to be grippy. All buttons fall easily within reach.
Battery life is an off the charts 30+ hours, which makes it easy to carry in my laptop bag and not have to worry if it's charged or not the next time I use it.

I literally bought this thing just so I could play Hollow Knight (and likely other platformers) and Emulators. Though I will also likely start using it for the Tomb Raider series that I'm slowly working through.

Totally agree about the Switch Pro controller feeling superior. I've only used it for Switch games, but definitely prefer the feel of it over the standard Xbox One controller. I have Dragon Quest XI ready to be played on PC and plan on using the Switch Pro for it. Haven't tested it yet, but thought Steam included software support for the controller through their interface.

Still, Xbox One controller is decent too (and arguably easier to setup). D-pad is a huge upgrade over the old 'squishy' 360 pad, replaceable batteries are a plus (just buy a rechargeable pack if you want to avoid AAs), and they go regularly on sale.

I find the PS4 controller comfortable enough (prefer the wider grip for 2D games) but it feels cheap to me. Like there's too much give within the controller. I never found much use out of the touchpad on it, and the batteries are short lived (enough for regular sessions, but you should remember to plug them in).

Everything is designed to work with the 360 controller these days but I hate the shape and stick layout so I use a Logitech F710. In x-input mode it works exactly like a 360 controller and directinput mode can be useful if for really old games. The d-pad is nicer than the 360 controller and I really like having it above and having both analog sticks below but if you're used to the 360 pad layout you might not like that.

The best way I know to test for drift is use a program that shows realtime input as a numeric value, I'd use x360ce. Just load it up and push the stick in a direction then let it go and see if the value returns all the way to zero, repeat in different directions. If you do have slight drift you can also x360ce to pad your deadzones a little.

like this
I have both xbox 360 and an xbox one controllers.

The Xbox one controller is superior in most ways, except for rumble (the vibration motors are better in the 360 units)

The one caveat I'll put on that is that the one s controller's bluetooth can be laggy, and you are better using the microsoft dongle with it.

This is the app people are talking about for calibration:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/xbox-accessories/9nblggh30xj3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Last edited:
Steam controller felt alright for traditional PC gaming (the haptic pads could scroll easily enough) and I did prefer the haptic pad over an analogue stick for FPS aiming.

But the lack of d-pad, small face buttons made it difficult to use for traditional gamepad games (2d platformers, for example). Super Meat Boy using that controller was painful.

It felt like it was one or two revisions away from being great, however. It's too bad Valve got less and less ambitious with their Steam Machines as it became apparent the initiative would take a lot of work.

If you like the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller but find the D-Pad too small, I highly recommend the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+. I have access to both of the above and an XBOne controller and the 8BitDo controller gets the most attention now. I grabbed mine at Amazon but I saw them stocked at the last few BestBuy stores I was in, in the PC gaming section. As an added bonus, the 8BitDo controller has analog triggers where the Switch Pro does not.

Last edited:
like this
I must be old. I still don't get the controller on a PC thing.

If controllers are more ergonomic and comfortable, save a couple thousand dollars and get a console. You get a significantly better display and a couch too.

I finally made the switch to just the Steam Controller.

It actually happened because my cats chewed through the wire on my 360 wireless receiver cable.

Turns out I never gave the Steam Controller a chance. I like it a lot. There is a steep learning curve, but then it just clicked.

Although I haven't actually used it, I'm gonna throw my vote in for the Xbox Elite Wireless Series 2, I would totally nab one of those if I... well...wanted to spend $200 on a controller.

Currently I use the Xbox One (Wired) for Windows, and it does just fine. It is essential for enjoying any sort of racing game without going full tilt on a wheel setup, or a console port like Jet Set Radio. If you ONLY play FPS/Shooter games, then a controller probably isn't on your radar.

If controllers are more ergonomic and comfortable, save a couple thousand dollars and get a console. You get a significantly better display and a couch too.

As with most subjective tastes and preferences, what works for one person may not work for another. However the mistake is in thinking that if it doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t or shouldn’t work for others (even if you don’t “get” it).

Last edited:
I use both the Xbox One pad and the PS4 pad along with their "official" wireless dongles. Best of both worlds. I use the PS pad for games that focus on d-pads and the Xbox controller for everything else.

While I also like the shape of the Switch Pro controller, the lack of analog triggers is a big deal. So many games use that functionality for things like aiming, firing, gas/brakes, different speed attacks, etc. that it's a major problem not to have it.

Last edited:
I use the Xbox One controller and it's always been fantastic. I used to prefer Dualshocks due to their familiarity but the XB controllers are just so comfortable to hold.

I use a controller on the pc all the time, because the PC gaming experience is still better than a console. And I have a 43” 4K monitor for my computer, so the better display argument doesn’t work.

I been using my computer with an HDTV and a couch, since 2007.

I still use a Dualshock 3

I personally use a PS4 gamepad with DS4Windows (Ryochan 7 build) because I don't like the analog stick placement on xbox controllers. If it weren't for that I would use the xbox one controller because it would be nice to be able to just swap out rechargeable batteries instead of having to worry about keeping it charged. The usb port on the PS4 gamepad tends to break if you drop it while it's plugged in but they are pretty easy to replace.

Last edited:
God I'm old...I still use a mouse. What about the Steam controller?
Steam Controller can be good for games which are otherwise designed to be played KBM. And/or games with poorly thought out controller support. It also helps that its totally customize able and people can upload them as profiles for anyone to use. A really easy example would be an RTS. Or Older RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.

Last edited:
I reiterate, if you go xbone controller, get the wireless dongle for it, it is better than even straight usb in my experience

The xbox controllers are bluetooth

They can, but they also have their own proprietary wireless as well. It's better. I did a lot of testing and they drop inputs over Bluetooth. That's across 4 different Bluetooth adapters. If you use the MS dongle (which can be had for as little as $15), no inputs drop. The same is true for the PS4 controller. Bluetooth adapters = dropped inputs. Official adapter = none. Not a ridiculous amount, but enough where I'd never recommend Bluetooth for anything that needs precision like a fighting game.

They can use Bluetooth, but input latency sucks with it. It is very clear that the unnecessary Bluetooth stuff is the cause

It depends on what type of games you're playing, but here are my favorites.

XBoxOne (newer type with Bluetooth) These are tip-top for general purpose PC gaming, and modern gaming in general. These can suffer a bit of dropout if they're too far away, but under most circumstances are pretty flawless. (on Bluetooth, haven't used an adapter since X360 versions)

Any of the newer 8BitDo pads. I like the SN30 Pro Wired version. (SNES style with two analog sticks) I use these with my MiSTer FPGA setup, and there is pretty much zero lag. For retro or 2D gaming these are amazing, and feel good.

Retro Bit Sega Collaboration controllers. These are Saturn and Genesis reproductions for USB, and are great for most emulation/FPGA/retro type games. They aren't great for SNES games though due to button layout (IMO) which is why I use the 8BitDo pads for that. (same reason as above)

X-Arcade makes what are in my opinion the best manufactured arcade sticks. (otherwise I build my own) Their newer Tank setup is USB/XInput by default, so they no longer need further adaption to do this like the older ones that were KB-controller based.

People also like the PS4 pads, but I don't have any so can't comment there. I have used them VERY briefly, and they feel pretty good, but I don't know how they are for PC gaming.

Huh... I use a controller for one type of game - racing. Not a single other game I have ever played on the PC is used with a controller (Unless you count a Joystick as a controller, which I used for simulators :p)

I still use an xbox 360 controller. Dont see a reason to change it. Especially for how little I use it (10 hours a year?)

God I'm old...I still use a mouse. What about the Steam controller?

Either you love the Steam Controller or you hate it.
Anyone with consoles in their history hates it. (because it can't compare with a controller you prefer and are already familiar with)

I love the Steam Controller, but the last console I owned was a SNES. And I was on Logitech, Sidewinder and generic gamepads prior to SC. So I was uncommitted to gamepads of anysort, until the SC. Yes, it has a steep learning curve, but it is infinitely easily customizable- and since those templates are stored on Steam, there's no headache changing from game to game.

It makes me wish this type of control customization and ease of use was around when HOTASs were big.

I've met others that love the Steam controller. Totally anecdotal, but I've noticed the people that really like it don't generally use/like the other controllers. On the other side of that coin, I can't stand it because it's not like the other controllers.
For what it's worth, I've never met anyone that loved the placement of the buttons on the front. They're awkward to use, especially if you're also using the right touch pad.

Someone needs to make a keyboard with analog buttons. Wouldn't ever need a gamepad if I had that.

I never tried the steam controller, wanted to pick one up for 5€ during the last sale but they were out of stock and are discontinued so if you want one still, better buy one fast where they still have some or go 2nd hand.

Someone needs to make a keyboard with analog buttons. Wouldn't ever need a gamepad if I had that.

I've been hoping for that for years. Some companies have made them, but they're quirky and application support is limited.
Personally, I still like having a gamepad/grip type of controller vs. a keyboard, but I fully recognize that mouse pointing is unmatched. If more games supported pad+mouse or someone big (like Logitech or Razer) made a pad/mouse hybrid we might finally get some legit support for something new.

I'm of the opinion that you should have many controllers on hand. Maybe one specific workhorse that you like for the bulk of things, but having several that suit the nuances of certain types of games is nice. Including KB+M of course. I wouldn't give that up for most first person gaming at all. However, having some good game pads around that suit various retro types of games, fighting games, and say third-person types, is a good idea. With the exception of some of my bread and butter shooters, I now play most of my games on the 87" TV in the living room, so in that case, I use XBoxOne pads for the PC games, and Switch Pro Controllers for the Switch. In my office I have a 65" TV with the MiSTer FPGA, where I use the widest variety of controllers (listed in my last post for the most part). Any serious first person games though need to be played at my desk with M+KB.

I never tried a Steam Controller. I have a feeling I'd have liked it for some things. It's kind of a shame they discontinued them.

Anyway, I think it's a mistake to try and pick one controller and shoehorn all types of games onto it. I don't like to have a mess of things connected all at once of course, but it's easy enough to pull the right controller for the game out of a drawer.

I've been using controllers on PC since the 286 era(it might have even been before I got a mouse), it was a serial port connected joystick that had to be manually calibrated everytime you used it but it made certain games(like LHX Attack Chopper) much nicer to play. KB and mouse is my preferred input method but I've also had gamepads, joysticks, steering wheel/pedal sets, and fight sticks; IMO one of the big advantages to PC gaming is the wide variety of input devices available and the ability to reconfigure them.

The last part of your comment makes no sense to me. A good PC is going to have better performance and IQ than a console and you can always hook it up to a TV if you want that experience, with the poor response times of TVs I consider that the vastly inferior experience though.

I just picked up a cooler master mk850 KB that has that capability but I haven't got around to testing it yet, I got the KB for other reasons but I'm still a little curious how good it is. According to reviews it's supposed to work well but has a bit of a learning curve to get the feel for it and retrain yourself to stop using them like a normal keys(ie: light press instead of fast tapping).

There's another company I forget the name of that's making KBs where all the keys are analog instead of the 8 keys on the mk850 but they're using a proprietary switch that isn't as accurate while the mk850 is using cherry mx red switches with an additional optical sensor below each analog key.

Everything is multi plaform now anyways. For side scrollers, fighting games, racing games, and others it makes sense to have controllers, arcade sticks, wheels and more all lined up.

It really depends on the game. Some games simply play better with a controller, others play better with M/KB.

I'm currently using an Xbox Elite Series 1 and it has been mostly excellent. I've found that the A button on the Xbox One generation of controllers can be slightly temperamental with not registering light presses occasionally.

Back