Best mobo for overclocking

Imber

n00b
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
11
Hello I'm about to buy a new pc and I have a hard time to pick the right mobo for my pc

im trying to decide between the commando , P5N32-E and the EVGA 680i.

Which one is the best for overclocking and has SLI on it.

If there's another mobo you recommend me then please do.
 
Get the EVGA 680i A1 board. Best premium overclockable motherboard for the money, in mine and many people's opinion.
 
EVGA 680i :)


My E4300 is happily running at 3.04 on it. No tweaking was needed, just set the FSB on the proc and unlink the mem fsb and there ya go :)
 
Asus striker imo, but commando works great too. i680 is nice also + its nvidia;)
 
Commando doesn't have SLI, so I'd count that out.

Personally, I'd get either the eVGA or the P5N32-E SLI Plus. Probably the Asus board since I tend to trust Asus over eVGA, but eVGA's warranty is second to none.
 
I'd get the eVGA 680i A1 board. I believe the XFX 680i is the exact same board (minus the XFX markings). I have the XFX version and it runs flawlessly! I had the Abit IN9 32X-MAX 680i and it worked just fine with a dual core. When I went to a QX6700 quadcore on it, it did NOT like it at all.. XFX 680i (eVGA 680i) + quadcore = F..A..S..T !!!!!! ..with a benchmark to prove it.. LOL!


Everest05.jpg



XFX680iLT-QX67003.jpg
 
I had the Abit IN9 32X-MAX 680i and it worked just fine with a dual core. When I went to a QX6700 quadcore on it, it did NOT like it at all..
yes, but that has been resolved with the latest beta BIOS (typical isn't it - they fix something just after you've made a change :eek: )
 
yes, but that has been resolved with the latest beta BIOS (typical isn't it - they fix something just after you've made a change :eek: )

The only thing that was "fixed" for my issues was the MULTIPLIER issue. It did NOT fix the FSB wall between 325-340. Just for grins, I have had my FSB on my quad core up to 450 with NO problem. ..I was running it at 450 x 7 = 3.150ghz ..I have NO doubt that this board is EVERY bit as capable as its full fledged 680i brother! ...LOL!
 
Asus' customer service is the worse whereas EVGA's is gold. Id get the 680i, I regret not buying it !
 
The evga A1 and AR models come with a lifetime warranty. Evga's warranty and customer service are well known to be the best in the industry.

Mark.
 
keep in mind tho that with asus products you get 3 years of warranty versus 1 with the evga boards.

Like the other guy said EVGA AR/A1 boards have lifitime waranty but you MUST register within 30 days of purchase. If you don't you only have 1 year.

TR/T1 have 2 years if you register and 1 year if you wait after 30 days to register.
 
Whats the dif between the AR/A1 boards, and the TR/T1 boards? What's the quick rundown?

Also, will this board overclock better than the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 board if I have an Allendale E4300 cpu?

Will having 2 8800gtx cards running in SLI be incredibly faster than just 1 8800gtx card? I dont know how SLI works.

Thanks for any answers at all.
 
The A1/AR boards are retail boards, which come in a retail box and include a retail warranty. The T1/TR boards are physically the same, but only come with a two year warranty. Also, you'll get more cables out of the box with an A1/AR board.

The difference between A1 and AR (or T1 and TR) is that the 1 models are newer revisions that have much better support for overclocking quad core processors. Also, since they're newer, they should come with a newer bios revision out of the box. If you go eVGA, get an A1 or T1, not an AR or TR.

The 680i boards are known to be the best overclockers on the market. The eVGA board is more expensive than the DS3, but you should expect that it will provide you with more FSB overclocking ability. With an Allendale chip, the more FSB overclocking potential, the better.

The usefulness of two GTX cards entirely depends on the resolution that you wish to play games in. If you do not have a 24 inch or larger monitor (with a res of 1900x1200 or greater,) then GTX SLI will be a waste, showing almost no benefit. Otherwise you'll notice a difference. Keep in mind that driver support for GTX SLI is still quite raw, so the top performance potential is still far from realized. Hopefully this will get better soon. Keep in mind that if you go the SLi route, you MUST get a nForce board. The DS3, being based on an intel chipset, does not support SLI.

Good luck,

Mark.
 
Will having 2 8800gtx cards running in SLI be incredibly faster than just 1 8800gtx card? I dont know how SLI works.

Thanks for any answers at all.

SLI is faster, how much faster depends on several factors and varies between game/benchmark/driver version. You'd see anywhere from 0-70% increases I would imagine.
 
The A1/AR boards are retail boards, which come in a retail box and include a retail warranty. The T1/TR boards are physically the same, but only come with a two year warranty. Also, you'll get more cables out of the box with an A1/AR board.

The difference between A1 and AR (or T1 and TR) is that the 1 models are newer revisions that have much better support for overclocking quad core processors. Also, since they're newer, they should come with a newer bios revision out of the box. If you go eVGA, get an A1 or T1, not an AR or TR.

The 680i boards are known to be the best overclockers on the market. The eVGA board is more expensive than the DS3, but you should expect that it will provide you with more FSB overclocking ability. With an Allendale chip, the more FSB overclocking potential, the better.

The usefulness of two GTX cards entirely depends on the resolution that you wish to play games in. If you do not have a 24 inch or larger monitor (with a res of 1900x1200 or greater,) then GTX SLI will be a waste, showing almost no benefit. Otherwise you'll notice a difference. Keep in mind that driver support for GTX SLI is still quite raw, so the top performance potential is still far from realized. Hopefully this will get better soon. Keep in mind that if you go the SLi route, you MUST get a nForce board. The DS3, being based on an intel chipset, does not support SLI.

Good luck,

Mark.

thank you very much, this was quite helpful!

-wes
 
Another vote for eVGA A1. It OC's extremely well and it works great with Vista in SLI.
 
Vote for the Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6... try and find a bad review!

I love mine!
 
Back
Top